Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-02-2004, 11:24 AM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Question Warning lights come on while driving, only when cold

Lately i've been having a problem. ocassionally when i start my car (when it isn't warmed up) i'll have the warning lights come on, usually the battery, oil, ABS, e-brake, steering, and brake lamp lights all come on.. The check engine light however does not come on, I haven't really noticed to much difference in how the car behaves but what usually happens is, I'll start the car, drive start driving for a little bit, when it shifts into second or third gear (usually going 20-30 mph) all the lights come on. Then when the engine goes over about 2000RPM they go off again. No real change in engine behavior, but if i shift it into neutral, it stays right at about 2000RPM... any ideas?????????

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 01-02-2004, 02:25 PM
Green1995SVX

Check the connections for tightness on your alternator. If everything is tight and the problem continues, replace your alternator.

Mike
Old 01-02-2004, 10:00 PM
Poor College Racer

do i need to take off the belts to check the connections? also, how much is a new alternator? and how hard would it be for me to install it?

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 01-02-2004, 10:18 PM
Green1995SVX

You dont have to remove the belts to check the connections. It's right on top. When I first got my car I paid $400 to have Lancaster County Motors install one of the alternators parts/labor. That's too much! LOL. It's a 30 min install for a beginner and very easy.

Mike
Old 01-03-2004, 08:21 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I agree the alternator is probably bad. You could get it rebuilt to make it stronger...especially if you have or plan to upgrade the stereo.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to Bizarre Send a message via Yahoo to Bizarre Send a message via Skype™ to Bizarre
SVX Alternator

Hey guys,

I am going thru a similar situation. Battery died last week, but I knew it was the alternator since the battery is about 1 month old.
Got new Bosch ALT from mom & pop shop after Pep Boys and Autozone told me 7 day backorders.

Put on the Bosch ALT, which worked for about 5 minutes.
Took it to Pep Boys and Autozone for testing and they told me it was most likely bad out of the box. Now I am waiting on a new one.

I hope I did not somehow fry this new one, but I do not see how that is possible. PS pulley is noisy, but turns easily. No ALT killer there. Only two connections so no chance of screw-up there.
Grounding wires are not corroded too badly. No aftermarket electronics either. Scary. Only thing I can think of is the battery was not charged enough during the jump start and that somehow overstressed Mr. Alternator. Any ideas?

When I get my new ALT I will test it at PB and AZ first; then I will know if I am the ALT killer.

The install is easy, but check your PS pump. While you have the belt off spin the power steering pulley. Is should spin easily with only slight resistance. I have been having a whining sound for months which I thought was the ALT dying but I am now sure it is the PS reservoir or pulley. I squirted a little oil on the pulley mount (but not the belt!). Noise went away, for now.

Oddly enough I also bought my 95 SVX from Lancaster Cnty Motors.

Biz
Old 01-06-2004, 02:59 PM
Poor College Racer

how do you rebuild an alternator, how much would that be, and how well does it work? thanks for all the help guys

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker