Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-26-2003, 02:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to speedracer
Question radiator; help me please

Hello all... i am the new guy.

I just got a 92 ls-i and i love it! i went skiing the other day and on my way home i stopped to wash the road gunk off the car. I sprayed it down and then did the foam; as I was rinsing the soap off I heard a pop and a hissing sound, steam rushed out of the hood.

when i popped the hood open there was a crack on the top plastic cover of the radiator. My questions are these:

What could have caused this?

What can I do to fix, cheaply, where should I get parts?
Can the top be replaced or does the entire radiator need to be replaced?

What is the 'normal' operating temp for the car, i.e. what should the gauge read?

Another side question I have: Is there a ski rack that fits this car, and if so, what is the brand and model?
Old 03-26-2003, 06:37 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Welcome to the net. It's always nice to have a lot of questions.

Some people think the radiator breaks becauses it's old and the plastic gets brittle. There are many threads on the subject with regards to replacement but I think the oem is the only option. You may also want to get the engine checked for a head gasket leak, cheap insurance for a new radiator.

Some people have tried to glue the crack. The whole thing gets replaced. The temp gauge needle is usually horizontal.

Ski racks. There was a thread about a guy who had his car stolen one morning while letting it warm up outside his house. No wait I think he had a bike rack and not a ski rack. I put my ski's in the back of the car. The road salt destroys the edges.
Old 03-26-2003, 07:45 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Raidator crack

When the car is cold take some sandpaper and scuff up around the area (don't do it too hard just enough to make the stuff adhere a little better). Get some Magnum Steel epoxy (comes in two parts and mix it together. Press it down over the crack about a 1/2 thinker from either side. Make sure it is bonding to the plastic then wait. The longer you wait the better. I'd suggest 24 hours or so.

Other option is a new radiator. You're looking at about $290 from Liberty Subaru. Best price around b/c they use actual shipping costs.
Old 03-26-2003, 07:50 AM
Green1995SVX

as far as a ski rack... I used to have a unisport rack. They are great and use thule attachments! That's great if you do any other outdoor activities besides skiing. Here's a pic:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1010041.jpg (62.9 KB, 79 views)
Old 03-26-2003, 08:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to speedracer
thank you for your input. Please excuse me for i am not gifted in automechanics. I am in fact disabled with ignorance on the subject. so, PLEASE break everything down stupid proof for me.

I looked in the threads for repair and couldn't find much on the raditor problem.

The temperature was not above normal when i was washing the car. so, what could have caused it to pop the way it did? I would like to prevent it from happening again after my fix and definitly after replacement.

I only purchased the car a few days ago and this already happend, so i am really looking for a quick, easy, and cheap fix. I will be able to replace a little later. I need to get back on the road within hours or a day.

I can't tell you all how great this forum is. It is wonderfull to have such a great support area. I'll be looking to give the SVX wave on the freeway.

one more quick one.... on the headlights; do only the circular light work at regular settings and the others on high? or do i need new bulbs.
Old 03-26-2003, 08:47 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Radiator

I think you should be good on the radiator thing. Just use some fine or very fine sandpaper to scuff it up. Wipe it off good and let it dry. I think I got my Magnum Steel epoxy at Pep Boys (first I tried J.B. Weld which held for about 15 minutes). Make sure you follow the directions on the package for kneeding it together then slap it on and press it in. Should hold fine. I've had some on my radiator for almost a year- 5000ish miles without any problems. It doesn't even look like its getting brittle.

Like svx commuter said. Its widely believed that the plastic simple gets brittle with age and use. Most radiators have a 10-15 year lifespan anyways so if you have a 92 you're probably due for a new rad shortly esp. if your coolant hadn't been changed on a regular basis. The Magnum Steel will hold ya definately until you get the time/ money to put a new radiator in.

Lighting wise. Yeah, the low beams have 2 bulbs, the high beams have two bulbs and the only time you should have 4 on at the sametime is if you're fog lights are on. (You can get all 6 on when going from low to high for a split second though).

Welcome to the site!!!
Old 03-26-2003, 05:44 PM

Welcome speedracer,

Benebob is right, the cracking is typical in allot of older import cars. I had this problem and couldn't manage to fix it, nor find a used one.

To make it short, with a little customization I managed to fit a Radiator from a 1986 Dodge car which had all the ports just about in line. I was able to use one of the original SVX cooling fans, and a customized Honda cooling fan because of limited space. I also had to make brackets to keep the radiator in place.

This was done in Oct 2002. So far no overheating and everything still works perfectly.

I do plan on uploading pictures I took, but haven't got around to it yet.

The radiator cost me $25 (It actually looked new)
$10 for the aux. fan,
additional material was about $20 - $30 (sheet metal, rivets, paint, screws, etc...)

Note: It fits a little close to the engine pulley but doesn't touch

Hope whatever you try works out well. Good Luck!

94 Blue L, 5-speed, converted 4wd, Clear headlights, Angel Eyes, Converted Radiator and fan, White faced guages, Cross-drilled/slotted rotors, Lambo doors ...
------------------------------------