SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 03-19-2003, 09:22 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Quote:
Originally posted by Kurt_W
Also, I'm not sure who rated the SOHC Neon at 130 horses, because that thing was powered by hamsters (weak ones at that).
Was this a rental? And an automatic?
Old 03-19-2003, 09:24 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

I'd have to say that 'rental ANYTHING' sucks. I've driven a few focii before, and they've been nice cars. I've driven quite a few neons before, and they've been nice cars. RENTAL cars, however, are a completely different story.

I'd have to say that 'rental ANYTHING' sucks. I've driven a few focii before, and they've been nice cars. I've driven quite a few neons before, and they've been nice cars. RENTAL cars, however, are a completely different story.

I suggest all of you who are bashing the focus go to a ford dealership and test drive a new one. A lot of them have power locks, windows, etc, most of the options you SVX has. I'm not trying to get you to BUY one, but I think your 'rental car' views of them are completley unfair. Hell, if any place even HAD a rental SVX they'd have to replace the tranny every 10,000 miles, and I'm sure it would drive GREAAAATTTTT.....

- Rob
Old 03-19-2003, 09:43 AM

no rental car is worse then the one my b/f got when his explorer got screwed up by the mechanic....

a rusty old 200k cutlass that he had to climb over the passager seat to get into the driver seat

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 03-19-2003, 11:01 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Rental Car = disposable car.

It's cheaper to replace the whole car than to fix/maintain it.

As for the Plymouth Acclaim...The Plymouth Sundance is worse. My Justy could out accelerate it and the Sundance was so unstable even just going around a curve ar normal speed.
Old 03-19-2003, 11:11 AM
^ has Subaru issues

Send a message via AIM to Kurt_W
Yeah, it was a rental and an automatic with the 2.0L SOHC engine. (Logic would infer that it was a rental due to my being decked in the Impreza ) One can also infer from my signature that I would most likely not purchase an American car (Car total thus far is: 6 Honda cars and 1 Honda motorcycle, 2 Subarus, 1 Nissan, 1 Audi. Nothing American.) However, if I were to consider an American car, The Focus ZX3 or SVT would be on the top of my list, followed by the SRT Neon.

I would imagine the engine and tranny in the car were ill maintained. The engine barely had enough power to get up the hills around here and the tranny clunked readily under moderate and heavy acceleration. It also hunted continuously because it was never happy with the gear it was in, even on flat ground. Aside the drivetrain the Neon was a nice car…however, having a crappy drivetrain really takes away from the car.
'91 Miata - a lot-o-miles
'88 CRX Si/B16 not-so-SiR
'73 Datsun 240Z
Old 03-20-2003, 08:34 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Not all Foci are created equal...

<However, if I were to consider an American car, The Focus ZX3 or SVT would be on the top of my list, followed by the SRT Neon>

I'm sure happy with my SVT Kurt! Newsvx's son sure loves his. My friend Barry took my Focus for a run down Grandfather Mountain over in North Carolina last weekend. He and his wife were in the front....and I was hanging on in the back for dear life! Barry used to drive SCCA in his younger days, and is braver than I am. He went into some of those hairpins....I just knew we were dead....and the doggone little car just stuck like glue. When we got to the bottom, his wife wanted to go back up and do it again! He swore to me that he only used the brakes 3 times, and would love to try it without passengers....so he could really see what it could do!

Naaaaaaaaaa...

Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 03-21-2003, 12:06 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurt_W
I would imagine the engine and tranny in the car were ill maintained. The engine barely had enough power to get up the hills around here and the tranny clunked readily under moderate and heavy acceleration. It also hunted continuously because it was never happy with the gear it was in, even on flat ground. Aside the drivetrain the Neon was a nice car…however, having a crappy drivetrain really takes away from the car.
I'd attribute that to 1: it being a rental car (read abused), and 2: having a slug-o-matic in a small car with a small engine. A neon with a 5spd and SOHC is actually a bit peppier than the DOHC engine, even though it has lower peak numbers because the powerband starts at lower RPMS. While I don't doubt your experiences, I'd make sure you catergorize that as a 'rental neon with the wrong transmission' instead of applying that catergorization to all neons. Automatics suck... for comparison, an automatic neon will run the 1/4 in about 17-18seconds... a 5spd (sohc) will run it in low 16s... and a DOHC will do mid 15s... some as low as 15.3, stock. Pretty big difference I'd say.

- Rob
Old 03-21-2003, 12:44 PM
calmone

neons are funny. rented two. the first was a real dud, hated it. second was like a different car, not bad except at real high speed (as in reaching it). thre are worse things than accidents and then renting a car. like 2 winters ago i had to rent a car while mine was in the shop after being rear ended. i go out one afternoon after work only to find that the rental had been hit and run. so i had to fork over another $250 deductable on the damn rental repair!
Old 03-21-2003, 12:54 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Yeah. I've driven one of my best friends neons... it was like a completley different car from mine... ugly bright interior... automatic... extremely slow... laggy... handled weird... felt like the whole car was flexing... blech.

drive a 5spd coupe. They're fun.

course, not quite as fun as doing 120+ in an SVX.

Wooo mama!