Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Audio/Video/Nav/Security

Old 08-07-2018, 03:18 AM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX
Setting up a modern HU with Android Auto / Apple Carplay

Hello,

so I need to install a new Head Unit and thought I'd give it a go myself.

First, the basic question:

Has anyone installed a modern HU with Andoid Auto / Apple Carplay that also fit with the lid?

Secondly, the situation:

2 identical 1997 Euro SVX (both sold in Norway) with 6 speakers (2 rear, 2 door, 2 tweeters) from factory. Both have some crappy aftermarket **** installed.

Car B (Parts car): Had a JVC 4x40. Is now taken apart. Original harness cut off, cables joined to the JVC harness with butt connectors. No pink cable to be found. Has antenna extension cable. No original cage (hence no lid).

Car A (Driver): Has an unknown Kenwood which sounds like ****. Harness situation unknown. Has original cage and functioning lid. Unlikely to have pink cable. Aftermarket mic already installed.

Current plan:

Install a Sony XAV-AX100 (4x55w)
Extend USB cable into ashtray (I have a spare I can ruin) and create a fastener for the phone.

Questions:

1) If the original harness is gone on Car A, should I just redo the butt connectors and wire directly to the Sony harness?
2) If the Kenwood harness situation is well done, is there any converter to the Sony harness?
3) I don't plan on any extra amps or woofer. Is anyone aware of a more suitable "bare bones" unit (which still has the Android Auto / Apple car play?
I'm ready to f...
Old 08-07-2018, 04:39 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Setting up a modern HU with Android Auto / Apple Carplay

Have some reading and the guy that can help you

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...?t=6530&page=9
Old 08-07-2018, 08:55 AM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX
Re: Setting up a modern HU with Android Auto / Apple Carplay

I've read his doc (very, very helpful) and he is helping me. I just started taking the cage out until I dropped it. I just cannot allow to have the car standing in my driveway right now and would rather not mess up anything. It's very tight in there and could take hours and hours to take out and slide back. Therefore, I don't know the harness situation yet.

However, it looks like the same case as Euro / UK cars from an earlier thread that SVXdc gave me:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...t=33067&page=2

The actual situation now:

Normally, a plastic piece just rests on the top (not attached, just resting). The lower black piece is prying/supporting the HU somewhat upwards. It doesn't look to be the original bezel, at least not in full form. For the top flange, where the screws are, I need more than just cardboard. I hope a flathead or hard plastic something can help me remove the cage without making more scratches.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg headunit.jpg (318.2 KB, 349 views)
I'm ready to f...