Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-14-2020, 08:12 PM

Ideas on getting new tail lights?

Hi Everyone! Long time follower but rarely posting.
I have a strange ask hence I'm reaching out to the SVX community for their knowledge and network.

I'm looking for a brand new(yes brand new), drivers side rear corner light for a 92-97 Subaru SVX. This part is not longer available from subaru and was wondering if anyone had one in storage or has the know how of getting a brand new light.

Stay safe and Cheers!!
Old 05-14-2020, 08:20 PM

Re: Ideas on getting new tail lights?

I know, I'm crazy. but I have a 29k mile car that I absolutely cherish. Unfortunately, moisture got into the inside lens and even after removing the light and rinsing it out with water, it still shows the stain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3110.jpg (100.0 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (140.7 KB, 326 views)

Last edited by SacSVX; 05-14-2020 at 08:26 PM.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:48 AM

So close, looks like there a right hand side marker light in stock:
https://www.subarupartsdeal.com/part...4421pa000.html

I did come across this resto-mod example (SVX rear driver side marker light):
http://www.clearcorners.com/products.../svx1/r_smark/

But maybe you can still find a left side one new some where. If you've not already, maybe calling up some local Subaru genuine parts store and asking them (talk to a person rather than check online).

Good luck!
Ian.
Old 05-15-2020, 02:13 AM

Thanks Irox

I find it interesting that you found the right side light. I did a search of the top 7ish subaru parts sites and none of them had any rear side light.

If I recall, all the dealers get their parts from the same central warehouse so there should be inconsistencies. Makes me wonder what else is out there just incorrectly listed
Old 05-15-2020, 12:16 PM

Yeah, it could be just an error. Although I'm not sure that place is dealer related, they may buy up the older/left-over parts from dealer/manufacturer inventory. I think even some dealers have odd ball parts locally (which may have dropped off the central computer system). I remember getting some random SVX part from a local dealer (like a fuse box cover or something) in stock and fairly cheap locally, they had no idea why they happened to have the exact part on hand. The folks in the parts department were big SVX fans and happy to go the extra mile to find a part (and give me a discount on them) (Redwood City subaru).

Good luck!
Old 05-15-2020, 12:50 PM

oh wow you're in the bay area? me too. I moved to fremont from sac a year ago. Guess i should change my username
Old 05-15-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irox View Post
Yeah, it could be just an error. Although I'm not sure that place is dealer related, they may buy up the older/left-over parts from dealer/manufacturer inventory. I think even some dealers have odd ball parts locally (which may have dropped off the central computer system). I remember getting some random SVX part from a local dealer (like a fuse box cover or something) in stock and fairly cheap locally, they had no idea why they happened to have the exact part on hand. The folks in the parts department were big SVX fans and happy to go the extra mile to find a part (and give me a discount on them) (Redwood City subaru).

Good luck!
So I call redwood subaru. Super nice parts advisor and as i explained my situation I can hear the hesitation in his voice. Unfortunately he couldn't find any new tail lights
Old 05-15-2020, 04:49 PM

I looked on the Subaru national warehouse system and I'm sorry to tell you that I don't see any side markers shown as available in the country.

As mentioned you may get lucky and find one sitting on a retailer's shelf that they lost track of but I think that is a long shot.

1996 SVX LSI Bordeaux Pearl 222.600 and going
Old 05-16-2020, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

They are still available on the JDM market but don’t meet US specs.

The JDM corner lenses are just a solid reflector, and do not have the side marker bulb sssembly as required by the US. Many JDM SVXs have installed the US lights.

These lenses crack over time, due to the buildup of heat from the bulbs installed (long before LEDs). This allows moisture to enter. I have replaced 2 of these on my polo. Each one had a vertical crack, above and below the bulb location.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 05-16-2020, 01:34 PM

Thanks svxcess,

I checked Jsauce for Japanese auctions and saw a bunch of really nice condition lights. They looked practically brand new! That said, I still prefer the USDM option as it keeps the car original and I actually enjoy the wrap around lighting. It really is a cool and unique lighting design. I'm the kind of person where "fake" functional design elements annoy me. That said, the new supra is my nightmare with all its fake vents haha
Old 05-16-2020, 04:19 PM

You might be able to remove the lenses from a JDM side marker set and install them on the original/USDM side marker light body (which supports the bulb).

I'm over in Pacifica. I'm really wanting to get on with restoring my 47K mile Pearl 92, but I've got a few other projects that need addressed first (like clearing my driveway so I have somewhere to work on it...).

Cheers!
Ian.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:28 PM

Oh wooow that is so cool! When was the last time you drive it? Once quarantine is over, a few of us are planning an SVX meet up and drive. There are also a few local vintage/Radwood era get togethers, Would love to see more SVX participation!
Old 05-18-2020, 02:34 PM

I'm sorry to say I've not really driven in a couple of months (other than parking shuffle). My repaired radiator finally give up the repair, fortunately I have the AMR radiator standing by, just need space and time...

Your's looks great. Love the finish on that paint! Mine it looking a bit more survivor than cherry. I am hoping to keep much of the original paint, but might repaint it at a high quality shop.

Cheers!
Ian.