Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-16-2009, 04:59 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Memory dump of ECU

Congratulations Sir Phil,
Could not get a better bloke for the job

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:25 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Hi Phil, Isn't life interesting. I'm sure the last thing you thought when you started this project was an ending like this. Lets hear it for natural curiosity. You will do great at this new job! Take care, BOBB
Old 04-17-2009, 04:54 AM

Thats great news Phil, its always good when adversity turns to success.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Phil & Belha

Thanks guys. Had my first day today and I think I'm going to love this job

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Errr, this doesn't mean we will have to pay you now for any future SVX analysis? Hmmm? Does it?
The company reverse-engineers ECUs and produces software to allow tuners to tweak the ECU maps and constants. The software doesn't support any pre-OBD2 Subarus and they have no intention to. I reckon if I confine my private work to obsolete non-flashable stuff like the SVX, there won't be any conflict of interest.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 04-20-2009, 05:39 PM

Registered SVX

Great Phil, simply fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha View Post
Thanks guys. Had my first day today and I think I'm going to love this job

The company reverse-engineers ECUs and produces software to allow tuners to tweak the ECU maps and constants. The software doesn't support any pre-OBD2 Subarus and they have no intention to. I reckon if I confine my private work to obsolete non-flashable stuff like the SVX, there won't be any conflict of interest.
http://www.ClassicSoftTrim.com http://ToyoTires.com/tire/pattern/versado-lx Gillman Subaru of Houston
"QuickChange" http://www.TransGo.com/ http://www.PlanetSVX.com Bontrager Works,

'92 Subaru SVX LS-L Claret ORIGINAL OWNER
'92 LS-L Pearl~ '92 LS Pearl~ '92 LS-L Teal~ '92 LS-L Silver~ '95 LSi Polo~
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Pearl~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54143
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Ebony~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54117
Old 04-21-2009, 03:10 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

As Ron says;........

That's great news Phil. I'm delighted you are enjoying it.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-21-2009, 03:38 AM

Hey Phil

Just popped in and read about your triumph out of adversity. Having read (but not necessarily understood !! and I have some experience of mapping Gas Turbine fuel schedules !!) some of the work you've done in decoding the TCU and sorting out the various maps, profiles and what-have-you I think what started out as a bit of a hobby has paid dividends to you !!

I hope your new position remains both interesting and challenging, and importantly secure for the long term.

All I can do is add my congrats to the others, well done you !!

Phil (the other one.)
Old 04-28-2009, 07:31 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

Hey Phil,

How's the new joby job? I guess word/rumor that I'm releasing a windows ap for control unit tuning isn't really good news now that you're working for a company that does likewise but eh, what can one do? At least now you guys are forewarned what's coming. I HAD been doing a good job of not telling anyone before now.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:50 AM
Phil & Belha

I'm really enjyoing the new job. Thanks for asking. The newer ECUs that I'm working with do out-of-order execution and that really messes with my mind. But I'm starting to get my head around it now.

I look forward to seeing your new windows ap. I may give it a try on my own car at some point.

You don't have to worry about competition. As I said, the company I'm working for does not have seem to have any interest in working on the older ECUs.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 04-29-2009, 04:22 AM

Cool Re: Memory dump of ECU

Its good to see you have found a new job so quickly Phil! one which is of interest and relevance to your "hobby" is even better! I really did feel a bit sorry for you when you sent the email adress change, and was wondering if it was the end of your work as we know it!

I've not been busy doing any more analysis with my ECU at all, kind of lost interest, I've been focussing on the future!

I am in Slovakia at the moment for 2 weeks but returning Home tomorrow already!
I'm hoping to get a BE9 (2.5) in left hand drive over here once I (Hopefully) start my studies in Mechatronics! (Surprise Surprise) at the end of September.

As for your new job Phil, did you sign any contracts which prohibit you from continuing on here, or developing software/hardware which you are allowed to resell via your website?

Longassname, I take it the software will be a part of your package you are offering, not stand alone for general use monitoring, something like Evoscan? Also I'll be interested to see what price range you come up with!

I really hope the spirit of this thread continues, where people are helping other people for no financial gain, rather than everyone piecing their information together and selling it off in packages.
A lot of people on here have been fantastic in that regard.
I really hope that some day I can return the favour and help someone else learn and understand how things work.

All the best for everyone, and I hope we can continue to develop this thread further!

Cheers,
Daniel.

Last edited by Mrdjc; 04-29-2009 at 04:25 AM.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:31 AM
Just some dude.

I don't believe the bitmaps were ever posted so here are the most important ones to improve your dissassembly and find useful things to modify:

FA0 78105A00
IG=ignition 08
AC 02
ID=idle 80
AP=AC Pressure 20
NT=neutral 01
PS=Power steering 10

FA1 78105B00
UD=test mode 02
RM=read memory 04
TR=torque control 20
PK=park 08
FC=49 states/ca

FA2 78119D00
R1=radiator main fan 08
R2=radiator sub fan 10
FP=fuel pump modulator 80
IH=induction solenoid valve 20
Old 06-22-2009, 05:25 AM

What exactly are the Bitmaps for?
Also what vehicle are they off, Rom ID?

If they are the CEL Bitmaps, there's a lot of stuff on there mine doesn't have, and also a lot of stuff mine does have.

Or are they the bits which cause relays to switch on and off? (Power steering on mine hasn't got any sensors or electronics at all.)

I just spent 2 hours yesterday reading this thread from Page 1 to 62 all over again, fishing out bits of info.

I've got my hands on a spare ECU and loom, and have made a board up with connector blocks so its on a bench next to my PC and cup of coffee.
Its a 1996 EUDM Legacy 2.0GL (N/A) with the "T8" Ecu.
Hi-res pictures can be found in the thread Phil set up for me.
He has been helping me disassemble over at the subiesmart website in this thread here: http://www.subiesmart.com/forum/inde...opic,44.0.html
There's a few people that have started doing it but never seem to have ended on that website, its nice as it deals with individual models of ECU in separate threads, rather than everyone hijacking a single one.

I am however looking for a way to dump segments of the Rom file, I noticed Nobiwan managed to do it, but it doesn't state which software he used.
I rather suspect its Linuxy stuff (Blashphemy to me!)
I'm wanting to dump the RAM at 1000 to 14FF only, and have no idea how to request blocks of data like that, I only know how to get the whole ROM (Rensu's software) or line for line (Hexcomtool).

Any input is appreciated

Cheers,
Daniel.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:33 AM
Just some dude.

The bitmaps are for switches which can be i/o or just used internally. Actually, there are a few loop flags included in these bitmaps but I didn't include them in the documentation.

Here, I'll explaint he first one:

(FA0 78105A00):FA0 is the select monitor label for this bitmap. 78105A00 is the command sent to the ECU to read the memory location of the bitmap.
(IG=ignition 08): IG is the select monitor label for the bit indicating the ignition switch is on or off. 08 is the hexidicimal number matching the bit. In binary it is 00001000
(AC 02): Is the bit for the AC being on. In hex it is 02. In binary it is 00000010
(ID=idle 80): Is the bit indicating that the throttle is fully closed. In hex it is 80. In binary it is 10000000.
(AP=AC Pressure 20): Is the bit indicating that the pressure threshold for the trinary switch has been met. In hex it is 20. In binary it is 00100000
(NT=neutral 01): Is the bit indicating the selector lever is in neutral. In hex it is 01. In binary it is 00000001.
(PS=Power steering 10): Is the bit indicating that the power steering is under load. In hex it is 10. In binary it is 00010000.

So the bitmap we are calling FA0 is a single hex byte being read from the ECU. A byte is 8 bits, any or all of which can be 0 or 1. By looking for where they are read or set in the code you can find the code blocks that do things of interest. Sometimes they are copied and is the copy that is checked but usually bitmaps are checked directly and more importantly you look for where they are set with bit sets and exclusive ors.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:39 AM
Just some dude.

Just to clarify..the bitmaps themselves are not i/o. They are copied to 2000's and 4000's addresses which are i/o.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:01 PM
Phil & Belha

Thanks for posting that Michael. I knew some of them but not all. It's definitely good useful information.

I've been doing a lot of work with IDA on the later ROMs, so now I'm busy trying to get it working with the SVX rom. But I can't get their 7700 disassembler to track the M flag properly.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II