Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2002, 10:55 AM
Member Incognito

Registered SVX
Re: From the guy who started it all

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXtypeR

... For coil-over conversions, a smaller spring perch is added to the strut tube assembly (hey SvXit! do you have those pics Jester took of my conversion at the Haines Point meet??) and a smaller diamater spring. GC also has their "Advance Design" struts, but they weren't out at the time I did my conversion.
I do indeed...

http://www.pressroom.com/~chrisc/svxmeet1/

There are four pictures there. I found the link in the Yahoo SVX Club (shameless plug by founder), and there are lot's more where this one came from for all those interested.

As I've been reading these posts, one thing that has me a little concerned about the coilovers is that they'll make the suspension as hard as a coffin nail. I'm just rolling with the Koni's for now and might try the coilovers down the road. SVXTpeR, I may have to take a ride in your car just to get a feel for it. If it's not too bad, I may go whole hog.

"Flossie" - 92 black over pearl LS-L (sold)
"Gorgeous George" - 98 Audi A8 (traded)
"Gorgeous Genny" - 02 Audi S8 (sold)
"Green Giant" - 00 Land Rover Disco II
"Grey Wülf" - 05 Volvo S60 R
"Silver Surfer" - 92 black over liquid silver LS-L
"9 of 7" - 97 bordeaux pearl, formerly with Earl Steele
Old 01-31-2002, 11:25 AM
SVXtypeR

Re: Re: From the guy who started it all

Quote:
Originally posted by SvXit

I do indeed...

http://www.pressroom.com/~chrisc/svxmeet1/

There are four pictures there. I found the link in the Yahoo SVX Club (shameless plug by founder), and there are lot's more where this one came from for all those interested.

As I've been reading these posts, one thing that has me a little concerned about the coilovers is that they'll make the suspension as hard as a coffin nail. I'm just rolling with the Koni's for now and might try the coilovers down the road. SVXTpeR, I may have to take a ride in your car just to get a feel for it. If it's not too bad, I may go whole hog.
Muchos gracias dude! I may have to put those pics in my locker!

I'd be more than happy to let you take her out. Lemmie know when. Bear in mind, I keep my Koni's ramped up kinda high (about 1/3 of the way up. anything past 3/4 is quite literally... SOLID), so everythings really smooth, but sudden transitions (ie, tall, not-so-shallow speedbumps, potholes, or those irritating transitions between shaved/unshaved asphalt) will generate an *extremely* loud BANG when I hit em. Scares the hell out of first time riders (funny to see peoples' faces) but no damage has ever been sustained (knock on formica). The GTR project will get a racier setup while the existing TypeR will get softend a bit for the plus-sized wheels/tires (less sidewall will be less safety margin for the wheels = better chance of a bent rim)

Sides, if you get a regular single spring setup (preferrably progressive) with a reasonable rate, your ride will actually be *better* than what you're used to and you'll *still* be comfortable. I would *definitely* suggest you get them!!
Old 01-31-2002, 09:14 PM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Send a message via AIM to MoreIBNR
Re: Re: Re: From the guy who started it all

Quote:

The Koni inserts don't change the dimensions of the strut in any way (well, the rod is slightly thicker by a few mm but that's neither here nor there), so the coil-over conversion can be placed over stock struts (I would suggest this *only* if you don't increase the spring rate beyond say 5-10%).

Coil-overs are the common reference for small diamater springs that sit just over top of the tube/rod assembly. They are typically adjustable for height via a rotating bottom perch, but no springs (that I'm aware of) are adjustable for stiffness (you can add spring spacers, but I count that as more of a kludge fix than actual adjustability). Also bear in mind, if you do the dual-spring setup, your *overall* stiffness will be decreased due to the amount of coils, that's why one reason why my spring rates are so high (Eibach (GC's spring supplier) has posted a good explination of this phenom on their website in the recent year). This is the setup I designed and got technical assistance from GC on years ago. I found the Koni's by happy accident.

Also, FYI for those who plan on a Koni purchace, the Koni Yellows that fit our struts are only *single* adjustable, meaning that you can only adjust the damping (compression factor) of the strut, ie. the faster the rod gets pushed in, the more resistance it offers. Rebound is *not* an option on these struts.
Actually, according to Koni, you have it reversed - the adjustment is only for rebound rate.
Old 02-01-2002, 07:19 AM
SVXtypeR

Re: Re: Re: Re: From the guy who started it all

Quote:
Originally posted by MoreIBNR

Actually, according to Koni, you have it reversed - the adjustment is only for rebound rate.
I'm not doubting you on what Koni *says*, but when I turn those knobs, it's the *damp* rate that skyrockets!

Ask any of the DC/Metro crew about pushing down on my hood!!
Old 02-01-2002, 09:23 AM
Lowered SVX

it is a rough ride.

but i like it like that. of course my perspective is from 2 inches lower than stock too.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 02-01-2002, 09:25 AM
Lowered SVX

you know.....

to be perfectly honest. the only reason i did the koni/gc setup is because i wanted to lower the car. it looked so weird with the 17" wheels that i had to lower it.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 02-01-2002, 10:22 AM

Send a message via ICQ to andivic Send a message via AIM to andivic Send a message via Yahoo to andivic
someone please give me further hint

Quote:

Coil-overs are the common reference for small diamater springs that sit just over top of the tube/rod assembly. They are typically adjustable for height via a rotating bottom perch, but no springs (that I'm aware of) are adjustable for stiffness (you can add spring spacers, but I count that as more of a kludge fix than actual adjustability). Also bear in mind, if you do the dual-spring setup, your *overall* stiffness will be decreased due to the amount of coils, that's why one reason why my spring rates are so high (Eibach (GC's spring supplier) has posted a good explination of this phenom on their website in the recent year). This is the setup I designed and got technical assistance from GC on years ago. I found the Koni's by happy accident.
Well i meant the "GC" spring is a "Coilover" set ? or its just a regular spring that can not be adjusted for heightness, and it can only lower our car by 2 inches ? If GC offer a Coilover spring set, I will definitly buy it and make it go with my koni........
Old 02-01-2002, 10:27 AM
Lowered SVX

the koni's and the gc springs.....

are adjustable. i have my koni's on the softest settings and my springs are set at two inches below stock. i would not have bought the springs if they were not adjustable.
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 02-01-2002, 12:44 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to svxboy
SVXtypeR

Could you please explain in depth how you where able to put together your dual spring coilover kit. I am interested in duplicating the procedure. Thanks, Greg
92 Teal SVX LS, Superwhite headlamps and front turn signals, Premier DEX-P1R Deck, A/D/S P850 and Earthquake 200DHC amps, PG Bass Cube, 3-10 in. Diamond Audio subs, A/D/S 346is front components, and Vifa rear 6x9's. B&M tranny cooler and temp. gauge. Flowmaster custom dual exhaust, Tenzo-R conical intake filter, JC Sports torque chip, and a Mid-Height wing for an Integra that fits perfectly and stands 6.5 in. tall. ART front and rear cryo/slotted rotors, SS brake lines and EBC "Green Stuff" pads. My email address= fastestsvx@yahoo.com
Old 02-01-2002, 02:22 PM
Lowered SVX

i think the instructions are posted somewhere.

maybe in faq or in how-to section found in personal lockers. ask randy(aredub) and he will be able to tell you.
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 02-01-2002, 03:18 PM

Re: i think the instructions are posted somewhere.

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
maybe in faq or in how-to section found in personal lockers. ask randy(aredub) and he will be able to tell you.
I don't remember seeing coil over instructions, but, the Koni install instructions are in Beav's locker.
Old 02-01-2002, 03:23 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to svxboy
Clarification

I am not looking for the installation instructions but the parts that SVXtypeR used in making his dual spring coilovers. The regular GC coilovers use one linear rate spring. SVXtypeR's uses a main linear spring and progressive rate tender spring. I have the values of the springs rates from an earlier post but where did he order them from. Thanks, Greg
92 Teal SVX LS, Superwhite headlamps and front turn signals, Premier DEX-P1R Deck, A/D/S P850 and Earthquake 200DHC amps, PG Bass Cube, 3-10 in. Diamond Audio subs, A/D/S 346is front components, and Vifa rear 6x9's. B&M tranny cooler and temp. gauge. Flowmaster custom dual exhaust, Tenzo-R conical intake filter, JC Sports torque chip, and a Mid-Height wing for an Integra that fits perfectly and stands 6.5 in. tall. ART front and rear cryo/slotted rotors, SS brake lines and EBC "Green Stuff" pads. My email address= fastestsvx@yahoo.com
Old 02-02-2002, 09:07 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Re: Re: i think the instructions are posted somewhere.

Quote:
Originally posted by How-To

I don't remember seeing coil over instructions, but, the Koni install instructions are in Beav's locker.
Man, you don't post for a couple of days and Randy forgets about you! The installation procedure for the Koni struts is in my locker, not Beav's.
Old 02-04-2002, 11:24 AM
Lowered SVX

hmmmmm...

i guess i didnt realized type-r had a different setup from everyone else. sorry svxboy but i cant help you.
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 02-04-2002, 12:16 PM
SVXtypeR

Re: Clarification

Quote:
Originally posted by svxboy
I am not looking for the installation instructions but the parts that SVXtypeR used in making his dual spring coilovers. The regular GC coilovers use one linear rate spring. SVXtypeR's uses a main linear spring and progressive rate tender spring. I have the values of the springs rates from an earlier post but where did he order them from. Thanks, Greg
I'd be more than happy to help, give me a bit to dig up the origional project sheet, it included *all* the parts with exact measurements. Also, the guys at Ground Control should be able to help you on measurements (they might have copies of my origional project measurements), either way, if GC or I take too long, please bear in mind that I did the design work half a decade ago...