Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > ECU Tune Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
doubt it... You will still have the lobe smacking into the lifter when it comes around and the lifter smacking into the bearing when it comes up... no good... get the right cams

Tom
Old 09-06-2007, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
doubt it... You will still have the lobe smacking into the lifter when it comes around and the lifter smacking into the bearing when it comes up... no good... get the right cams

Tom
Not if they are plated.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:38 AM

Intake cams

Mike:

Any word on a solution for these intake cams?
Old 10-09-2007, 11:54 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
I've been buying more cams and getting them ground to replace the ones from the first batch. I've been sending them out in the order of claimed urgency of need. A couple more sets should be ready to go pretty soon. If you are ready to use them one of them will be yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdigerlando View Post
Mike:

Any word on a solution for these intake cams?
Old 10-09-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
I've been buying more cams and getting them ground to replace the ones from the first batch. I've been sending them out in the order of claimed urgency of need. A couple more sets should be ready to go pretty soon. If you are ready to use them one of them will be yours.
Besides Tom's motors I think I'm closer than anyone else. About 3 weeks out I would say.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:10 AM
Jeff Williams

Send a message via AIM to Jefus
Ok here is my cam story.

First a list of other mods i have going with them.
-2002 WRX 5-Speed Manual Tranny
-2002 WRX Rear Diff.
-ACT Stage 2 Flywheel
-ACT Lightened Flywheel
-Sti Group N Engine and Pitch Mounts
-Sti Group N Tranny Mount
-Ecutune Stage 2 Chip
-Z32 MAF
-Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
-2.5" Exhaust W/High Flow Cat.and 80 Series Flowmaster Muffler
-Cold Air Intake
-ECU Tune Performance Intake and Exhaust Cams
-ECU Tune Performance Valves and Springs
-Lightweight Underdrive Pully
still got the sr20det injectors coming

Now for the install story.
I was able to do most of the install in my garage. Did have to take the heads to a shop to get cleaned up and get the valves installed. After that I put everything back together, but make sure that you are very careful when installing the cams. Do not force them they should go in smoothly and when shipping cams pack them like fine china. Dropping the engine in the car is the best part. And watch the radiator, I know have a new shiny one.

Ok First run.
I took it for a drive and was getting dizzy from the speed. I had also been driving around my 84 Brat (70HP), so that was a huge change. But even then I new it was faster. I was burning oil on startup but that was a earlier issue with the car.

Driving
I have been driving it for about 2 months now and she is running great. Went to a car show up in North Carolina (I'm in Myrtle Beach, SC) and the trip was mostly great. I did through the timing belt 6 miles from the show but was able to fix it on the side of the road. I was my fault the timing belt came off because two of the idler pulleys were not torqued right.

Now for the fun stuff
Went to Darlington Dragstrip about 3 weeks ago. Temp was about high 40s and night. Here are the numbers.

R/T .394
60 2.169
330 6.169
1/8 9.525
MPH 75.15
1/4 14.782
MPH 94.28

This is about what I though I would run. I still go to get the injectors in and stop the oil from coming up the intake and I will be able to get quicker. The thing that sucked the most is the civics I went with were beating me. I think that the fastest one was 14.4

Now for the auto-x (also I installed Koni yellows and GC coils on street tires)
I ran in SM and got a best of 38.425. that dose not mean much but for some comparison. My friend has a tuned and modded Evo MR with r compounds and I was one second behind him. Also my friend was co-driving and he said that the car is definitely a lot faster then it was. He said that it is faster then his 2000 RS that has exhaust, intake, heads, and other upgrades.

The thing that is funny about the cams is the power band. It reminds me of my old turbo cavalier. You feel it but the higher the RPMs the more power. It troughs you back in the seat harder and harder. I would love to see a dyno of this because it is just so fun to drive.

Oh on the high way MPG were 21 and around town 19 the same as I was getting before the install. On the auto-x course I went through a 1/4 tank in 10 runs at about 40 sec each.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:27 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefus View Post
Ok here is my cam story.

First a list of other mods i have going with them.
-2002 WRX 5-Speed Manual Tranny
-2002 WRX Rear Diff.
-ACT Stage 2 Flywheel
-ACT Lightened Flywheel
-Sti Group N Engine and Pitch Mounts
-Sti Group N Tranny Mount
-Ecutune Stage 2 Chip
-Z32 MAF
-Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
-2.5" Exhaust W/High Flow Cat.and 80 Series Flowmaster Muffler
-Cold Air Intake
-ECU Tune Performance Intake and Exhaust Cams
-ECU Tune Performance Valves and Springs
-Lightweight Underdrive Pully
still got the sr20det injectors coming

Now for the install story.
I was able to do most of the install in my garage. Did have to take the heads to a shop to get cleaned up and get the valves installed. After that I put everything back together, but make sure that you are very careful when installing the cams. Do not force them they should go in smoothly and when shipping cams pack them like fine china. Dropping the engine in the car is the best part. And watch the radiator, I know have a new shiny one.

Ok First run.
I took it for a drive and was getting dizzy from the speed. I had also been driving around my 84 Brat (70HP), so that was a huge change. But even then I new it was faster. I was burning oil on startup but that was a earlier issue with the car.

Driving
I have been driving it for about 2 months now and she is running great. Went to a car show up in North Carolina (I'm in Myrtle Beach, SC) and the trip was mostly great. I did through the timing belt 6 miles from the show but was able to fix it on the side of the road. I was my fault the timing belt came off because two of the idler pulleys were not torqued right.

Now for the fun stuff
Went to Darlington Dragstrip about 3 weeks ago. Temp was about high 40s and night. Here are the numbers.

R/T .394
60 2.169
330 6.169
1/8 9.525
MPH 75.15
1/4 14.782
MPH 94.28

This is about what I though I would run. I still go to get the injectors in and stop the oil from coming up the intake and I will be able to get quicker. The thing that sucked the most is the civics I went with were beating me. I think that the fastest one was 14.4

Now for the auto-x (also I installed Koni yellows and GC coils on street tires)
I ran in SM and got a best of 38.425. that dose not mean much but for some comparison. My friend has a tuned and modded Evo MR with r compounds and I was one second behind him. Also my friend was co-driving and he said that the car is definitely a lot faster then it was. He said that it is faster then his 2000 RS that has exhaust, intake, heads, and other upgrades.

The thing that is funny about the cams is the power band. It reminds me of my old turbo cavalier. You feel it but the higher the RPMs the more power. It troughs you back in the seat harder and harder. I would love to see a dyno of this because it is just so fun to drive.

Oh on the high way MPG were 21 and around town 19 the same as I was getting before the install. On the auto-x course I went through a 1/4 tank in 10 runs at about 40 sec each.

Jeff,
Nice! Couple of questions and comments:
1. how many miles are on the engine?
2. when was the last time the PCV was replaced? (could be the cause of the oil back in the intake)
3. what version of the stage 2 chip are you running, .5 or .6? (.7 being the version that needs the replacement injectors)
4. You should be able to get your 60 ft time down to 2.0 or lower with the 5 spd -- you might want to PM TOMSSVX to ask how he's been launching his 6 spd.
5. Do you have the stock exhaust up to the highflow cat? (i.e. the 2.5" is only aft of the highflow cat)
6. How many seconds were you behind the EVO in the autoX?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-04-2007, 01:25 PM
Maniac modifier

How is your idle? I have installed these in 3 cars so far. First two were stage 3 vehicle w/ complete engine builds. Third was a stock motor with just the cams. The lifters have enough room to expand to accept the new cams no problem and the stock valves have enough clearance. Problem is, I have horrible idles on all 3 cars. I am testing compression on the 2 I still have here this weekend to be sure the profile are not allowing us to lose compression. With the way they make the cars run I am not impressed

Tom
Old 12-05-2007, 08:06 AM
Jeff Williams

SVXRide:
1. 125500 miles
2. changed the PVC about a year ago (twice), could oil going through it make it go bad cause I replaced a vacuum hose it the oil burning was getting better until the auto-x
3. chip is 2.5 but want the injectors to help feed the cams and engine
4. the best 60ft I had was .223 when I was running constant 14.9s, the more I ran the better the 60 ft got but it was also getting late and cold. I wanted to make the 1.5hr drive home
5. stock manifolds 2.5 off them and come together at tranny mount then a high flow cat single 2.5 back to the flowmaster 80. I am planning on changing this once I get some more money.
6. My friend’s Evo MR (modded with r-compounds) was 1 sec ahead of me and another one running was 2 sec behind me. Here is a link to the times IM in SM #256 and my fried was driving my car too #259 ignore that it says miata http://www.scsportscar.com/content/a...201&Report=fin

Tom: my idle is high on start up right now but I believe that to be due to the oil. When I burn no oil (warm start) it is fine. I have mine set at about 1000, Seems to do best there. My car was idling funny when I first installed the cams but after readjusting the idle screw and driving it calmed down.
Have you tried just driving them, I seem to remember something about car computer learn how a car runs but don’t know if that applies in this case.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:43 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
SVXRide:
1. 125500 miles
2. changed the PVC about a year ago (twice), could oil going through it make it go bad cause I replaced a vacuum hose it the oil burning was getting better until the auto-x
3. chip is 2.5 but want the injectors to help feed the cams and engine
4. the best 60ft I had was .223 when I was running constant 14.9s, the more I ran the better the 60 ft got but it was also getting late and cold. I wanted to make the 1.5hr drive home
5. stock manifolds 2.5 off them and come together at tranny mount then a high flow cat single 2.5 back to the flowmaster 80. I am planning on changing this once I get some more money.
6. My friend’s Evo MR (modded with r-compounds) was 1 sec ahead of me and another one running was 2 sec behind me. Here is a link to the times IM in SM #256 and my fried was driving my car too #259 ignore that it says miata http://www.scsportscar.com/content/a...201&Report=fin

Tom: my idle is high on start up right now but I believe that to be due to the oil. When I burn no oil (warm start) it is fine. I have mine set at about 1000, Seems to do best there. My car was idling funny when I first installed the cams but after readjusting the idle screw and driving it calmed down.
Have you tried just driving them, I seem to remember something about car computer learn how a car runs but don’t know if that applies in this case.
Jeff,
you're doing well if you're only 1 sec behind the EVO. What tires are you running? I would suggest dropping down to 2" pipes coming off of the stock manifolds. 2.5" is fine aft of the primary cat. You might want to try running a catch can in the PCV system -- tie both of the lines off of the rocker covers to it. You really shouldn't be having oil issues at only 125k miles.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 12-05-2007, 01:38 PM
Maniac modifier

the high idle is because you are opening the throttle plates to adjust your idle. It is also a side effect of the 5mt swap. Any drivability issues under 2500 rpm in normal driving?? Both of my cars bog severely and backfire... more so in my s/c car than the N/A.

Tom
Old 12-06-2007, 12:59 PM
Jeff Williams

im running bridgestone potenzas

it drives ok from 2000 up. when it is cold it is a lil hard but I think that is cause it is still burning up oil cause if i stomp it im a crop duster.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
From reading this thread, is it safe to say these camshafts negatively affect the daily drivability of the car? I am used to the EG33 running very smooth, will using these camshafts sacrafice this?
Old 12-06-2007, 02:17 PM

Are these the same cams we got for our FI cars?
Old 12-06-2007, 02:31 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
im running bridgestone potenzas

it drives ok from 2000 up. when it is cold it is a lil hard but I think that is cause it is still burning up oil cause if i stomp it im a crop duster.
I'd definitely look at installing a catch can....
-Bill

My Locker