SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 01-06-2009, 09:12 AM
Certified Porschephile

Re: Anyone own a Baja?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
i just checked and even the 2009 Foresters still come with a 4EAT (although they have Sportshift now).

i don't know why they don't use the 5EAT more.
Cost?

The Legacy GT is an awesome car, but just about priced right out of it's market. With a 300hp turbo maybe, but why should I pay Audi/Acura/BMW money for a car with 243hp?
Old 01-06-2009, 02:56 PM
Headed to Texas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeman90 View Post
I have one...silver with 38k and a 5 speed non turbo. It is great. Hauls trees and bikes good and I have an aftermarket locking cover from www.ozzbros.com that was about $500 or so but it is all around a great machine.

I have done some stuff to mine that makes mine more unique: on board air compressor, 12v bed outlet, heated mirrors, black face radio and heating controls, trailer hitch (which I do use), power driver seat (didn't have it from factory), tint, and the bed cover.

Best of all....it is finally paid for
subeman - I like that hard cover for the back, it would be real handy on trips. We just drove to Texas and back with a LOT of luggage and some of it had to be in the bed in garbage bags.
Couple of questions for you: I'm assuming the tailgate remains as is, meaning it does not lock even though the hard cover does?..and....what is the hard cover made of? Wood? Plastic? or.....?

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 01-06-2009, 02:58 PM
Headed to Texas...

Quote:
i just checked and even the 2009 Foresters still come with a 4EAT (although they have Sportshift now).

i don't know why they don't use the 5EAT more.
No I don't know that either. Don't know why the Baja came with a sportshift and my WRX wasn't available with one

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 01-06-2009, 05:56 PM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxxx26 View Post
subeman - I like that hard cover for the back, it would be real handy on trips. We just drove to Texas and back with a LOT of luggage and some of it had to be in the bed in garbage bags.
Couple of questions for you: I'm assuming the tailgate remains as is, meaning it does not lock even though the hard cover does?..and....what is the hard cover made of? Wood? Plastic? or.....?

It does lock. on my cover I had to put 2 little holes in the tailgate to mount a latch. On the "updated" covers there is an optional latch that uses those screws in the tailgate already. The cover is not watertight but it really does well at keeping it fairly dry in there. When the tailgate is up and the cover is locked...that whole bed is secure.

It is made of wood with a foam on top and the vinyl on the outside. On the underside it is carpet kind of an "indoor/outdoor" type. Also it stores in the vehicle so you can go to home depot and buy something and then put the cover in the back seat area.

I know it isn't cheap but it is far better then the soft cover and the turbo limited cover is not available piece by piece. Your only alternative would be the snugtop that when i priced it was $1500 painted and delivered to my door. (and it is not water tight either nor can it be removed easily)
Old 01-06-2009, 07:19 PM

Registered SVX

We have a 05' turbo that is silver. It has the factory locking cover and I think every other option that was available. It is a great car and has been reliable so far. We are just getting ready to turn 60k.
Kool Blue air filter, 4500k HID's, airbox mod, Hella horns, WRX 6 disc stereo, Infinity Reference and Clarion Pro Audio speakers, Infinity basslink sub, ECUtune Stage 1v5, ECUtune TCU, Power mode mod, Mad muffler mod v1.3
Old 01-06-2009, 11:04 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Cost?

The Legacy GT is an awesome car, but just about priced right out of it's market. With a 300hp turbo maybe, but why should I pay Audi/Acura/BMW money for a car with 243hp?
they sure did - i got mine for $24,500 brand new (that's with the $1500 5EAT option). about $1000 worth of parts later, it will make an STi look stupid.

i wouldn't spend what they want now for an LGT - i'd buy an EVO X MR for that money.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 01-07-2009, 10:15 AM
Headed to Texas...

Quote:
It does lock. on my cover I had to put 2 little holes in the tailgate to mount a latch. On the "updated" covers there is an optional latch that uses those screws in the tailgate already. The cover is not watertight but it really does well at keeping it fairly dry in there. When the tailgate is up and the cover is locked...that whole bed is secure.

It is made of wood with a foam on top and the vinyl on the outside. On the underside it is carpet kind of an "indoor/outdoor" type. Also it stores in the vehicle so you can go to home depot and buy something and then put the cover in the back seat area.

I know it isn't cheap but it is far better then the soft cover and the turbo limited cover is not available piece by piece. Your only alternative would be the snugtop that when i priced it was $1500 painted and delivered to my door. (and it is not water tight either nor can it be removed easily)
Thanks for the info subeman - now I'll start saving my pennies

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 01-07-2009, 12:55 PM

Registered SVX

the hard bedcover came with the leather premium package in 06 for sure I saw a 05 that had hail damage with same pkg and it had a hard plastic cover (locking). My wife spotted the cover and had to have it we looked and a customer had ordered one but it had been damaged in shipping ( small scuff/scratch 2 inch by 1 inch)and he refused it. So parts and I got to be close friends eventually to where we bought it and had them install it. My wifes comment about her cruck as we call it is "they will have to pry it from my cold dead hands".. the 5eat sportshift came with the turbo premium leather package and I drove it loving it but could not convince her to get turbo model, oh well I dont drive the baja much with a svx AND a 07 sti, modded, to drive and if the weather is bad I drive the RX I bought from rebecca.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:09 PM
Certified Porschephile

Quote:
they sure did - i got mine for $24,500 brand new (that's with the $1500 5EAT option). about $1000 worth of parts later, it will make an STi look stupid.

i wouldn't spend what they want now for an LGT - i'd buy an EVO X MR for that money.
That's why I want to buy yours in 3 years!
Old 01-07-2009, 03:44 PM

Registered SVX

I've got a BRAT. 4 inch lift, heated leather seats from a 04 limited, lsd, front pushbar, hella lights, high topper.....currently with roasted clutch, but that is on the list, also the distributor was donated to my rescued 83 Gl wagon.
97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K
Old 01-07-2009, 04:27 PM
Headed to Texas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheinen74 View Post
I've got a BRAT. 4 inch lift, heated leather seats from a 04 limited, lsd, front pushbar, hella lights, high topper.....currently with roasted clutch, but that is on the list, also the distributor was donated to my rescued 83 Gl wagon.
I came real close to getting a BRAT in 1978 - I wish I had. I guess the Baja is as close as I'll get

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 01-07-2009, 10:44 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
That's why I want to buy yours in 3 years!
i'll keep you in mind, brah.

by then, the LGT will retail for $50k+

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 01-08-2009, 08:28 PM
Certified Porschephile

Quote:
i'll keep you in mind, brah.

by then, the LGT will retail for $50k+
Thanks for the pics. I love your car.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssnsltd View Post
were there some issues with the early ones? consumer reports was not to kind to the Baja
The Baja is on the Consumer Reports "Good Bets" list of cars for model years 1998-2007 (as are all Subarus). Cars on this list "performed well on our road tests and have had several years of better-than-average reliability."

In the frequency-of-repair ratings, compiled from subscriber surveys, the '03 and '06 Baja got poor marks for "body integrity." The '05 had more-than-average reports of "climate system" trouble. There was insufficient data on the '04 model to provide statistically-meaningful conclusions. Overall the Baja scores average-to-slightly-better for "engine/minor," "fuel system," "paint/trim," and "body hardware," whereas for comparison, the '07 Forester received the highest possible marks in 16 of 17 categories, with a demerit for "body integrity."

I've been very casually pricing Bajas. In this region, low-mileage, "certified" '06 models still priced by Subaru dealerships at $18,000+. Hi-time '03s are getting down into the $10,000 range.

dcb
Old 04-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Headed to Texas...

Quote:
I have an aftermarket locking cover from www.ozzbros.com that was about $500 or so but it is all around a great machine
Hey subeman - thanks again for the heads up on the ozbros cover. I just got one (thank you IRS refund ) and am very impressed with it. Amazing how easy it was to install.

jnj7707@yahoo.com

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: