IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 05-15-2009, 06:57 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
Re: 2010 Legacy teaser pic released

A million times is never enough?

The Impreza faithful crapped themselves when they saw the early pictures of the "bugeye". There are plenty of fans now.

The Forester faithful didn't care for the photos of the current gen Forester. I waited to see one in person before passing judgment, and I'm glad I did, cos the photos were simply unkind.

For whatever reason, pre-release pictures of Subarus are simply unkind.

Let's all find out where a local "in the flesh" Legacy is, look at it, and then make our decisions. To do otherwise is simply ridiculous, due to past results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic View Post
Manual-only Legacy GT ensuring that it will sell in very small numbers
I, too, dub myself an enthusiast, and I believe that any car with the letters "GT" on it should exclusively have a manual transmission (and paddle shifters, "Sport Shift", and the current rev-match thingies don't count). Besides, it only took two years of the current body Legacy for them to switch the Legacy GT wagon to auto only. They pay attention to the market. If there's demand for an auto in the '10 GT, I believe it'll show up. If not, you may have to wake up your left foot.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:33 AM

Are they even producing a LGT wagon anymore?
Old 05-15-2009, 07:56 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyeJaye View Post
Are they even producing a LGT wagon anymore?
The last one was in 2007 - the model year I mentioned.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
Let's all find out where a local "in the flesh" Legacy is, look at it, and then make our decisions. To do otherwise is simply ridiculous, due to past results.
Your analogy of the Impreza is a bit inflated. People bought them because that is all that was available for a sporty little subaru, and the WRX was finally selling in the US with a turbocharged engine and a big performance boost, which GC didn't really get.

Plus you can't count sales that never happen, so they don't know how many people the styling has turned away to other cars. Plus, people sometimes mellow on things that they end up settling for, and they changed the appearance of the Impreza 3 times in that bodystyle generation, each time people not really falling in love on the first impression. People are now mellowing out on the Hunchback, er I mean Hatchback impreza. What else from Subaru is there, a new huge and ugly Legacy?

Subaru doesn't know how BIG an out-of-the-park home run could be for them, if it were to check all the boxes, and look truly good doing it.

Tribeca was so bad on first impression that they updated it two years later, too, and some could argue that it hasn't recovered from that bad first impression yet.

BL Legacy is one of their best products in the last decade or so, but even then never really got out of the shadows into mainstream awareness, because the most people forgot the Legacy existed between 2000 and 2004, because the Legacy was so bland then. Subaru didn't market the car in 2005, after the body-style update.

I will take a look at the new car... but I have seen the pictures taken first hand of the car on a lot, parked next to a 2009 BL Legacy, and it is not promising. I like the BL Legacy, obviously, but the new one is departing from that formula by a LOT, not just adding a little interior room because people thought the rear seat foot room on the BL was a bit tight.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showp...postcount=5821

The de-contented option list is enough to make me really, really suspect of what else they have done to the car.

Quote:
I, too, dub myself an enthusiast, and I believe that any car with the letters "GT" on it should exclusively have a manual transmission (and paddle shifters, "Sport Shift", and the current rev-match thingies don't count). Besides, it only took two years of the current body Legacy for them to switch the Legacy GT wagon to auto only. They pay attention to the market. If there's demand for an auto in the '10 GT, I believe it'll show up. If not, you may have to wake up your left foot.
They switched the GT wagon to auto only, denied it Navigation when the sedan received it, then summarily CANCELLED the bodystyle. That is not a good track record.

GT is grand touring, not race-track. I myself ONLY drive a stick. Even if I were to get an SVX, it would probably get a manual gearbox swap as soon as I could make it happen. But that means I am out of the mainstream (and I am fine with that...) because most people do not drive a stick, or at this point, perhaps barely ever have in some cases.

The Legacy GT isn't the same thing as a WRX STI, or even a Legacy STI version. This isn't an S403 model, and couldn't get much farther away from one, IMHO. Limiting the Legacy GT to manual only, unless it has an STI truly-limited-edition sport monster badge on it and the equipment to match, is going to cut down sales on the GT. GT is not a Legacy equivalent to STI. The Impreza GT, by contrast, is Auto-only, and lower on power than the 09 WRX, which is stick-only, and has the same 268hp power level as the new, huge Legacy GT.

The new Legacy will not offer a turbocharged engine and automatic transmission together at all, there isn't even an Outback XT. That will limit the appeal of the turbocharged '10 Legacy, as people who don't drive a stick, or want an auto for commuting, or to appease the spouse who doesn't drive a stick, or whatever... go to the 2.5i or 3.6 H6 model, which seems to be SOA's goal.

The 2006-2009 Spec Bs were manual only, 2007-09 being 6MT like the STI, sans the manual DCCD control. They barely were able to sell 500 units per year, and there are still some left-overs. Granted I wish I could afford to upgrade to one, but that is again, me being outside of the mainstream.

Basically it seems like they are moving the Legacy GT into Spec B's slot of limited production, limited numbers, and limited appeal, and going further by de-contenting the car from GT Limited spec, let alone Spec B. No LSD, no standard fog lights, no folding or signal mirrors, no bilstein struts, no SI drive, no electroluminescent gauges, and I haven't even seen that it has the memory seat position function that the 08-09 Spec Bs and 3.0R Limiteds had.

They are going to push people who don't drive a stick into the 3.6 H6, or the 2.5i lineup with the CVT or automatic gearboxes, and keep the GT manual-only to pay lip-service to the "sporty" nature of the new Legacy, when in fact, by the stats, it is barely sportier than a Camry, and not as sporty as the BL Legacy GT and Spec B were.

If the GT tanks, due to being so limited for audience, they'll cancel it, like they cancelled the Legacy Wagon, they may already be posturing and planning for that.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 05-15-2009 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:17 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Man that thing is a tank. I think Subaru has something up their ugly sleeve.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Wow. That car is a fatty!
2001 Audi S8
Old 05-15-2009, 07:48 PM

What I don't understand is if we're in this huge energy crisis and automakers are supposedly trying to make more efficient cars, why are cars and trucks getting bigger and bigger every day? Look at pickups. Today's mid-sized trucks are as big as full size trucks from 10 years ago, and the full sized ones today are basically land yachts. And its started pouring over into economy cars now.

I've always loved the Legacy platform, ever since I got my 90 Legacy Sport. But I truly don't know if I'll ever grow to love this design.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:02 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
A million times is never enough?

The Impreza faithful crapped themselves when they saw the early pictures of the "bugeye". There are plenty of fans now.

The Forester faithful didn't care for the photos of the current gen Forester. I waited to see one in person before passing judgment, and I'm glad I did, cos the photos were simply unkind.

For whatever reason, pre-release pictures of Subarus are simply unkind.

i always liked the bugeye (would be even better if they included the JDM projector lights), and the one that followed. the "vagina grille" and current Mazda-wannabe turdbox are horrible.

new Forester is ok, previous was really bad - looked like it had Down's Syndrome. '03-'05 was best.

new Legacy is fat, bloated, and a bad design.

Quote:
that's great, but i don't want a manual - my drive to work consists of creeping through the tunnels at rush hour. i also injured my left leg several times, and it gets random aches. i don't want to deal with that. my wife also won't drive a stick.

i'd take a DSG tranny, but Subaru can't seem to be able to make one. they would also need to facelift the STi so it doesn't look so damn stupid.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)

Last edited by Landshark; 05-15-2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:55 AM

I think the bugeye would have been a much nicer looking car if it wasn't released after the Neon and didn't look so much like one from the front.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:05 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

It looks like a G35 sedan.
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 05-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

There is a notable step up in size here from the current model.

My brother last week bought a JDM Legacy B4 GT. It is manual and has the 2.0 litre twin scroll turbo engine making 270 hp I think. I had a short spin in it. It's a lovely car, very smooth and powerful with lovely ride and handling.

Reason I mention this, I'm 5'6" and he's 5'8", and the driving position is perfect for us, but there is not a lot of headroom or leg room. I can imagine either of my sons who are both 6'4" having trouble with the seating position.

Somebody mentioned the biggest selling car in the US is the Toyota Camry, is this correct? Because if it is, then it should be no surprise that Subaru would be trying to build a car that had the same attributes as the car that is selling best. The current model Legacy has a build size that suits Japanese sized people. If they want to sell into the US market in larger numbers, then they have to make the new car roomy enough to suit larger people.

[Hey, that reminds me, how come Michael Moore never did an expose of McDonalds along the Supersize me lines, like that other guy did??? ]

I think it has more to do with demographics, rather than how sporty looking we nerds would like them.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 05-20-2009, 07:15 AM

I like it...beats my 98 maxima
Old 05-20-2009, 08:01 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

When the time comes again, Ill just have to look for an 07 2.5i LTD Wagon...
Old 05-20-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
My brother last week bought a JDM Legacy B4 GT. It is manual and has the 2.0 litre twin scroll turbo engine making 270 hp I think. I had a short spin in it. It's a lovely car, very smooth and powerful with lovely ride and handling.
I wish my car were as nice as the JDM models... there are several improvements between USDM -> JDM.

Quote:
Reason I mention this, I'm 5'6" and he's 5'8", and the driving position is perfect for us, but there is not a lot of headroom or leg room. I can imagine either of my sons who are both 6'4" having trouble with the seating position.
I have a moonroof in my BL Legacy, and I am 6'2", and my father is 6'4", and my brother is 6'5". We fit in the front seats. Granted the car is not a full size car. I am personally quite comfortable in it, other than a little lack of thigh support on the front of the seat, after hours and hours in the car.

The thing is, they could have added the desired rear leg room, a bit more cabin width, an inch here or there, without making the car as big as they did, or at least not LOOK as bulky as it does. The new A4 is also larger, but doesn't look like the new Legacy.

Quote:
Somebody mentioned the biggest selling car in the US is the Toyota Camry, is this correct? Because if it is, then it should be no surprise that Subaru would be trying to build a car that had the same attributes as the car that is selling best.
Camry also sells more than Subaru sells as a brand. That is a much larger economy of scale, and is more hotly contested. Nissan, Honda, Ford, GM, and others are all trying to fight it out in that shark tank. I am not sure Subaru will be anything other than chum bait in that market.

Quote:
The current model Legacy has a build size that suits Japanese sized people. If they want to sell into the US market in larger numbers, then they have to make the new car roomy enough to suit larger people.
Again, I fit, I like it, and I am certainly no japanese size person. I am a big, tall, not-thin, germanic-descent guy. The car could have gotten a bit more generous, without going completely overboard.

It is now almost as big as a 5-passenger Tribeca, especially in Outback form, and I thought Tribeca was supposed to be the bigger vehicle option.

Quote:
I think it has more to do with demographics, rather than how sporty looking we nerds would like them.

Joe
That may be true, but if we nerds hate it, and the mainstream people stick with their camrys, which are tanking in sales right now... (why not keep the camrys that most of those folks already have, in these economic times)

And most people still don't know that Subaru Legacy exists, and have at least half a dozen other mainstream nameplates to choose from with more options for less money...

Then who exactly is going to buy the new Legacy?
Old 05-20-2009, 11:45 AM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic View Post
I wish my car were as nice as the JDM models... there are several improvements between USDM -> JDM.

I have a moonroof in my BL Legacy, and I am 6'2", and my father is 6'4", and my brother is 6'5". We fit in the front seats. Granted the car is not a full size car. I am personally quite comfortable in it, other than a little lack of thigh support on the front of the seat, after hours and hours in the car.

The thing is, they could have added the desired rear leg room, a bit more cabin width, an inch here or there, without making the car as big as they did, or at least not LOOK as bulky as it does. The new A4 is also larger, but doesn't look like the new Legacy.

Camry also sells more than Subaru sells as a brand. That is a much larger economy of scale, and is more hotly contested. Nissan, Honda, Ford, GM, and others are all trying to fight it out in that shark tank. I am not sure Subaru will be anything other than chum bait in that market.

Again, I fit, I like it, and I am certainly no japanese size person. I am a big, tall, not-thin, germanic-descent guy. The car could have gotten a bit more generous, without going completely overboard.

It is now almost as big as a 5-passenger Tribeca, especially in Outback form, and I thought Tribeca was supposed to be the bigger vehicle option.

That may be true, but if we nerds hate it, and the mainstream people stick with their camrys, which are tanking in sales right now... (why not keep the camrys that most of those folks already have, in these economic times)

And most people still don't know that Subaru Legacy exists, and have at least half a dozen other mainstream nameplates to choose from with more options for less money...

Then who exactly is going to buy the new Legacy?
Your points are on target, IMO, and I have asked myself the very same question.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: