Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 09-30-2008, 11:22 AM

Re: What is worse? Why?

As long as you can tell the difference between spoiling them and depriving them you are fine. Doesn't seem to make sense does it? By that I mean spoiling them enough that they lose out in the important lessons in life. One example of this that I've already implied, is fully funding secondary education. The large majority of those who have their path through school paved for them get much less value out of it. It goes right along with, you get out what you put in..... well if they aren't the ones who put some in, they won't get it all back out.

I'm not saying I wouldn't enjoy spoiling my kids, and I do have the means (now), so to say that I won't is not a cop out. I simply think it's more appropriate to spoil them with lessons and wisdom, to know when things are unacceptable and the value of a gift. I will gladly make everything they want available to them, but lesson one in life is that nothing is free, so I won't be handing them much or especially throwing things at them.
The same goes for religion. If they ask about it I'll gladly talk about it with them and if they chose to follow a faith I will support them, but unlike most parents, I refuse to raise them into a religion or telling them what to believe. I feel quite strongly that if you raise a child teaching them religion, then you are making their decision for them. Why shouldn't you, you are after all supposed to do that as a parent, right? No. Not in this case...... but I could go on for hours why I disagree with religious parenting and why I also disagree with organized religion in general..... that would require a whole new thread.

How would I feel if I became the 40 year old 'new' parent? Well, this brings up my mother-in-laws story. Through my story, I failed to mention that my heading on 5 year old son, has a 1 year old uncle. My wifes mother had a fourth child at 44, setting her current children at 22, 20, 18 and 1. And lets see how she feels. Well lets just say when we go shopping she constantly attempts to put the kids off as brothers, as if her son was ours. She's ashamed to admit to people that she has a grandson older than her son. This is not the only example of how she shows her feelings, just the most obvious one as far as how she feels she is seen by others. How would you feel in her situation? Is it absurd to act like that, absolutely, but it's also common. She had just made it over the line of 'teen pregnancy' and no one said anything. She was on the 'home stretch' as far as kids in the house and she went back to the starting line, and still, no one downtalks her. This is actually adding to my confusion. She had children at a younger and older age and the same people telling 'us young parents' that we threw away our life, have said nothing to a person who will now have teen or younger children from 20 to 62.

I have a daughter now, yeah she's only heading on a year old, but in 16 years I'm quite certain that I would prefer to hear "daddy, I'm pregnant" as opposed to "your daughter is going to need rehab" or "the defendant has been found guilty and will not have a chance of parole for 4-8 years".

As far as statistics are concerned, I feel they are part of the problem. Part of the attitude directed at teen pregnancy, is in fact treating them like a statistic. Okay, I will agree that statistically yadda friggin daa, but I will defend that if these people ignored the statistics and simply talked with them they would be giving them a much better chance of doing well. Just like the number of sayings along the lines of "if you think you can, or think you can't, you're right", "if you don't think you can, you wont", or even the good old favorite "I think I can, I think I can"..... knowing these sayings are all entirely true, why do people insist on starting them off feeling like failures, and worse telling them they have somehow failed something, especially in a case where they haven't even begun their attempt. All people hate being treated like numbers, and albeit it is inevitable but rarely produces a positive outlook.

Last edited by iizbeastie; 09-30-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:02 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Smile Re: What is worse? Why?

I've resisted the impulse to dive into this well elaborated slice of social commentary, as the author seems to be the exception to the "statistic", & why quibble with a success story? Hell, I was the sole result of a late union between two grown-ups. Dad was 40, & probably clueless about diapers. Mom was 29, & clueless about dad. Them was the days when 40 was not the new 30, & 50 was way over the hill. I was 10 & my "old man" was 50. Not a lot of tackle football together. But I had friends to fill in for the messy stuff. Dad taught me how to fish, set up model trains, & how to stay married for 50 years. No real point to this story, except that a kid can't pick the age of his/her parents, & probably couldn't care less (statistically).

A note on the following:

I have a daughter now, yeah she's only heading on a year old, but in 16 years I'm quite certain that I would prefer to hear "daddy, I'm pregnant" as opposed to "your daughter is going to need rehab" or "the defendant has been found guilty and will not have a chance of parole for 4-8 years".

I'm not quite sure why there's an either/or involved in said situation.
I mean it could have read, "I'm pregnant, daddy, but don't worry...I plan to marry Billy Bob just as soon as he gets outta' rehab". (Not lookin' good, statistically speaking).

Which leads to this:

As far as statistics are concerned, I feel they are part of the problem. Part of the attitude directed at teen pregnancy, is in fact treating them like a statistic.

Yup.... Lies, damn lies, & statistics. Hard to get away from all of 'em.
However, stats are just numbers. They can't lie. They just count. They note odds. And, unfortunately in today's "gotta' have it now"/ gnat's attention span world, the good old-fashioned Romeo & Juliet luv story, regardless of age is the absolute rarity. Too bad. Yeah, you have to expect an inappropriate comment or two from folks who "just don't understand". Not really their fault...just comes from stats, & what they see on Jerry Springer.

Knowing these sayings are all entirely true, why do people insist on starting them off feeling like failures, and worse telling them they have somehow failed something, especially in a case where they haven't even begun their attempt. All people hate being treated like numbers, and albeit it is inevitable but rarely produces a positive outlook

All you can do is live life up to your standards, & the naysayers will slowly take notice. Your kids will notice too.

Best wishes, Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: