How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-14-2001, 02:23 PM
Lowered SVX

i can remember when i was.....

13 or 14 and saw the SVX for the first time all i could think about was owning one. when i turned 18 i went to the local suby dealer to inquire about the car and he told me they rarely even had one to sell and when they did get them they were around $25000. A few years later when i was 22 i drove by a dealership and saw a red svx sitting in the parking lot, $12,900. with a trade-in and $3500 down i owned my beloved SVX. now i can not imagine driving another car.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 06-14-2001, 06:33 PM
Jaylinb

SXVMAN2001!

...and you are a true Subaru fanatic already! You have the almost mandatory ultra-high-mileage Subaru wagon. How well is that '90 Legacy running after almost 400 thousand miles?
Old 06-14-2001, 08:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
Jaylinb!

yeah Iam pretty much obsessed with subaru's. Most of my friends wouldn't even know the existence of performance subaru's if it weren't for me. I love em! I just got my svx in march. I saved for so long to get it and finally did. It's nice, but I sent the car into the mechanic a week and a half ago and still haven't gotten it back yet. Tomorrow the mechanic said, but that's the price I pay for such an awesome car. As for the legacy, intially it was my mother's and she took meticulous car of it, and then when I turned 16 I got the car and took just as much care of it. The cars run forever. 355,000 + miles and still going strong, original engine and transimmsion , and get this, I've never, ever changed the transimission fluid. Iam thinking of setting up my own homepage and showing the pics of the cars and such. from one subaru nut to another, later

chris
92 claret svx
90 legacy (sedan) 355,000 miles
Old 06-15-2001, 02:27 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Chromatic aberration

Quote:
Originally posted by Motorsport-SVX

Just driving SVX yells out "hey look at me!" ...haha
chrome to me means "classy" look....silver and others
more performance.... As for the 49 Ford Concept...AWESOME..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
..dg
Glad somebody likes the Ford concept 49, dg. I've been off the air a few days, didn't see your reply. I think I have paraphrased Kevin Costner elsewhere when I saw it first,

"If they build it, I will come"

We must have similar tastes, I looked at a couple of Soarers before I bought the SVX. Main reason I went away from the Soarer [I like Toyota build quality and reliability], was the length of the doors. I am short and sit nearer the steering wheel. The doors are so big, if someone parks close at the supermarket, it would be difficult for me to get into the seat[unless the car had a sunroof!!] Otherwise, the car is faultless.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-15-2001, 02:29 PM
Lowered SVX

i too wanted a sc300-sc400

but opted instead for the SVX. the lexus was just too expensive and i never could find the color i liked. i had to settle for the SVX, go figure.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 06-15-2001, 04:55 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Makin' do

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX
but opted instead for the SVX. the lexus was just too expensive and i never could find the color i liked. i had to settle for the SVX, go figure.
"Settle??" for an SVX. Who you kiddin?

Another motor in the same vein is the Nissan 300ZX twin turbo. These are more sporty and powerful than the SVX, but are lower on interior space. Likewise the Soarer is a bit short on space for such a big car. Typical coupe paradigm, more car with less space for more money.

If I get fed up with mechanical problems when it is time to change the SVX, I might look for a Nissan Skyline. Don't know if you get them in the States, but they are v. popular over here. 2.6 litre straight six with crazy horsepower, and a super-sticky 4wd chassis. How could you go wrong?

However, I am really taken with the body control of the SVX. The car can take bumpy and twisty back roads at 70 to 100 mph without a whimper. Really chews up the miles with no stress for the driver. The driving experience is probably closer to that of a Jaguar than anything else I am familiar with. But it also has the security of 4wd, which Jaguars never had until recently. It's an awful pity the gearbox cooling and the rear bearings are so under-engineered, otherwise the cars would have held their own against the Lexuses and Mercs of the world. As it is, they don't even rate as an also ran.

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 06-15-2001, 09:44 PM
Lowered SVX

i was kidding about the "settle" part of my post......

i love my car. the svx is the ulimate car to me. i am just infatuated with the lines of the body. the performance is really just a bonus. we dont have the skyline here but it can be imported. in fact i think it is already being imported but in limited quantities and all used. anyway i would not trade my car for anything.
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 06-15-2001, 11:45 PM
check out www.planetsvx.com

the 49 Ford Concept...my Next family car..!!! I just like the idea and think from paper to the real thing, this car is beautiful..
SVX vs Soarer.....Soarer wins because of the HP advantage and the mods available....but when I bought my Soarer, I sold my burgandy SVX only to get a Pearl White one...I swore Id always have an SVX in my garage.....great to just drive all the time and would love take 30 day trip across the USA in my SVX sometime..comfort and all its ammenities! As for Skylines, they are great too, the people now importing them are KooKoo on their prices....so bringing in your own and having it converted would be much smarter and cheaper. There are about 4 different models of Skylines out there though.......base model non turbo, some are AWD, I think the M Spec is the top of the line AWD twin turbo rated at a mere 290 hp and underated big time by the manufacturer.....overall, I like the looks of all of them.....and each have some great points!

CLICK the LINK below to Visit the SVX Store:

http://www.planetsvx.com

http://www.motorsportwarehouse.com/svx/sig2.jpg

Cars in the garage:
92 Toyota Soarer Single Turbo JDM RHD
70 Boss 302 Mustang 39k original miles
97 SVX Lsi
92 Liquid Silver Murano-ized (1st of its kind)
71 Cougar Xr7 Conv 351c 4v 4spd
69 SS Camaro 350
71 Nissan RHD Fairlady Z
70 Stang Fastback
70 Amc AMX 390
71 240z
89 Conquest TSi w/ 5.0 v8 swap
84 Mustang GT Turbo conv

"good, if it bleeds, we can kill it ....."
Old 06-16-2001, 04:18 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
A-Fordability

Quote:
Originally posted by Motorsport-SVX
the 49 Ford Concept...my Next family car..!!! I just like the idea and think from paper to the real thing, this car is beautiful..
SVX vs Soarer.....Soarer wins because of the HP advantage and the mods available....but when I bought my Soarer, I sold my burgandy SVX only to get a Pearl White one...I swore Id always have an SVX in my garage.....great to just drive all the time and would love take 30 day trip across the USA in my SVX sometime..comfort and all its ammenities! As for Skylines, they are great too, the people now importing them are KooKoo on their prices....so bringing in your own and having it converted would be much smarter and cheaper. There are about 4 different models of Skylines out there though.......base model non turbo, some are AWD, I think the M Spec is the top of the line AWD twin turbo rated at a mere 290 hp and underated big time by the manufacturer.....overall, I like the looks of all of them.....and each have some great points!
We used to have a large family sized car here called the Ford Granada, you Statesiders would probably class it compact or sub compact. All of these cars had lovely balance to the design, except the last version called a Scorpio. The car was pig ugly, and I am being unkind to the porcine population here. The main market was to the police, who want to look anonymous anyway.

Nice to see that somebody somewhere in the Ford organisation understands that a car can look elegant, and still do the business.

Agree with you about the Soarer. Unlike the SVX, you can buy one with the utter certainty that everything will work like clockwork, and you will not be at the mercy of some main dealer who sees $$ signs every time you pull into the garage. You can also tune the hell out of them if you want to be a sociopath.

The Skyline. If an SVX is a Jaguar, then a Skyline is a full 4 seater Porsche. There are a number of models, but as we're talking coupes here, forget the 4 door variants. There are two main coupe types that make it here[as imports] These are the 2.5 Litre GT-S, rear drive 250 hp, and the 2.6 litre GT-R, all singing, all dancing 380 hp 4-wd. Neither of these cars is a slouch. Obviously the GT-R is the Porsche candidate, but the GT-S is the bargain. Being turbo, they can be chipped up easily, and they are quite roomy. In fairness though, you would get as much performance for your money by getting a Subaru WRX, but it will always look like a saloon if you can live with that, and the brash youth owner profile.

The significant other in my garage is a Matra Murena. This is a 2.2 litre mid engined French sports car with three seats abreast. If I can get a digital camera, I will post some pics of it.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl