I read it before and was like

After you explaining it..It's so much more understandable
Old 09-20-2011, 01:56 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: alternator wires

TWO MORE HELPFUL TIPS

CRIMP your ring terminals solidly, do not solder. You can have your local battery shop use their hydraulic crimper to put the ring terminals on your cables for next to nothing. I have a hydraulic battery terminal crimper which makes for an extremely solid connection as it crimps evenly around the entire circumference. Pliers and hammers just don't work, as they just flatten and distort the connection.

Harbor Freight

Electrical current flows around the outside of each wire, not through it. Soldering the ring terminals to the power turn all those individual strands into one big wire with less total surface area than the 2068 of smaller strands. It also makes it less flexible and more rigid at the connection, which is undesirable

You also may have to file down the outside of the ring terminal that attaches to the alternator so that it is smaller and fits completely down inside the black plastic ring on the power terminal and tightens securely to the post and bottom. Don't let it sit on top. A lock washer and nut will work. Just tighten very securely, not overtighten. Excessive Force will break the alternator charging post. Use a small 1/4" drive socket to avoid this.

Top off the alternator connection with a new rubber cap to protect it ...1034AA000 ...$5.93
021806000 ...Nut ...$0.28
032006000 ...Spring Washer ... $0.10

Remember to slide the cap onto the end of the bare cable BEFORE you strip the wire and crimp on the ring terminal. Once attached and tightened, just slide up the rubber cap over the alternator post.

Attached Images
File Type: gif i810-A.gif (19.2 KB, 900 views)

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 09-20-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:09 AM

Registered SVX

lol nice ending,
where do you get these labeled diagrams? i dont see anything like it in the downloadable manual
Old 09-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: alternator wires: A COMPARISON

July 2001. My 1992 pearlie with the original wiring upgrade.

June 2006. All original wires were covered with split-loom. The red wire was the additional upgraded 4 gauge wire from alternator to battery, as well as the added grounds. Basically unchanged from the original

Current configuration. The only difference from this photo is the substitution of the new Mega Fuse, in place of the AGU fuse holder pictured. These do not work well in high-current applications under the hood.

The solder on metal ends of the AGU glass fuses (soldered to the fuse) would melt and break the circuit. Enclosed inside the waterproof holder, heat would build up and intensify the problem. They may be fine in stereo installs, with a lot of air circulation, but not in the confines of a high-temperature environment. All it takes is one spike in current to blow them; the MegaFuse is a slo-blow design which handles this with ease. Have never had one of these fail.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 09-20-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
That's because they have no cores left. Many have been buying alternators and not returning their old cores for rebuilding. I have posted this problem many times. This hurts all of us.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...3&postcount=21

I've got a core, and absolutely counted on sending it in with the RMA to be included. I wouldn't even mind sending it first. The car is grounded anyway, with a flat, as well as not being able to run more than a few minutes without draining the battery as flat as the tire.

I am not sure what turn-around time they usually have, but I'd wait a reasonable amount of time.

I think it is a bit odd that they charged my Paypal, and booked UPS, but not a peep from them about the backlog, even over the last two business days since I sent a message.

But I just received my new Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires this afternoon, and would like to have the SVX back in 'fighting shape' by the end of the month, which is why I started placing orders at the beginning of the month.

Because then the Legacy has to go down, and get it's new dampers and bushings installed. (which I am also thinking of tackling myself, too...) I have been putting off maintenance a bit due to money, and it all has to get done before winter.

Thanks again, for all the helpful information. I also took your recommendation on the littelfuse MegaFuse, and just got the 175-amp fuse today, and the fuse holder and large-gauge crimper came late last week.

I hope your modification is going well, too Gamesy. I completely understand about the budgetary concerns.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 09-20-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:57 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerFanatic View Post
I've got a core, and absolutely counted on sending it in with the RMA to be included. I wouldn't even mind sending it first. The car is grounded anyway, with a flat, as well as not being able to run more than a few minutes without draining the battery as flat as the tire.

I am not sure what turn-around time they usually have, but I'd wait a reasonable amount of time.

I think it is a bit odd that they charged my Paypal, and booked UPS, but not a peep from them about the backlog, even over the last two business days since I sent a message.

But I just received my new Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires this afternoon, and would like to have the SVX back in 'fighting shape' by the end of the month, which is why I started placing orders at the beginning of the month.

Because then the Legacy has to go down, and get it's new dampers and bushings installed. (which I am also thinking of tackling myself, too...) I have been putting off maintenance a bit due to money, and it all has to get done before winter.

Thanks again, for all the helpful information. I also took your recommendation on the littelfuse MegaFuse, and just got the 175-amp fuse today, and the fuse holder and large-gauge crimper came late last week.

I hope your modification is going well, too Gamesy. I completely understand about the budgetary concerns.
Thanks man, turns out its cheaper to get a local shop to upgrade the alternator, only reason being is i have to pay to ship it to texas which will run me like $60 so to save time and money i'm just getting a local shop to do it.

Since i have another core does anyone want a reman or upgraded alternator?
Old 09-20-2011, 11:22 PM
Designated Asshole

Registered SVX

I hope my H/O is still good

Old 09-21-2011, 12:15 PM

Registered SVX

is that melted?
Old 09-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Designated Asshole

Registered SVX

Yep. It appeared to have messed up my front diff as well?
Old 09-21-2011, 11:34 PM

Alternator is on it's way... looking forward to getting this done, and the SVX back on the road with fresh new tires, and a good new high-power alternator.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:33 AM

Registered SVX

The alternator messed up your front end diff?????
Old 09-22-2011, 07:45 AM
Designated Asshole

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conn SVX View Post
The alternator messed up your front end diff?????
Idk how, but as soon as my wiring started smoking, 10seconds later I get Clunk Clunk CLunk when I try to gas it.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:56 AM

Registered SVX

unless it melted the speed sensor into the housing i dont know how it could affect the front diff, center diff ya but front?
Old 09-22-2011, 09:45 AM
Designated Asshole

Registered SVX

Nate'll be here tomorrow, so he can for sure tell me what the damage is.
Old 09-22-2011, 04:45 PM

Registered SVX

UPDATE:

just pulled out all the wires and connecting wires to the alternator.... all of it was corroded right up to the fuse box lol