How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2004, 09:20 PM

Wiper traveling off glass

What is the best way to reset the driver's wiper position so that at the limit of its stroke, it does not travel off of the glass? Thanks. Bill Z
Old 08-20-2004, 10:45 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Remove the rubber cap at the base of the wiper arm, remove the nut underneath, remove the arm and reinstall at adjusted position.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:54 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
On a related wiper question:

My intermittant function has never quite worked right. When the dial is on its lowest setting the wipers are very slow, the speed does not change until it hits the highest setting, at which point the speed is just slightly slower than the 'Low' position. Would installing a new control arm fix this?

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 08-21-2004, 01:25 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Re: Wiper traveling off glass

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Z
What is the best way to reset the driver's wiper position so that at the limit of its stroke, it does not travel off of the glass? Thanks. Bill Z
Just checking, ... do you know that there is a switch under the dash that sets the front wipers between winter and other seasons? In winter position, the wipers park on the glass. For other seasons, the wipers park below the glass. SVX wipers have a rubber nub on them that rests against the rubber bumpers below the glass.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 08-21-2004, 09:59 AM
BoondockSVX

Quote:
Originally posted by BurgundyBeast
On a related wiper question:

My intermittant function has never quite worked right. When the dial is on its lowest setting the wipers are very slow, the speed does not change until it hits the highest setting, at which point the speed is just slightly slower than the 'Low' position. Would installing a new control arm fix this?
The SVX has speed sensative wipers. Were you testing the intermittent stuff while the car was stopped? If so, that's the problem.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:50 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Just so we're clear on this, do you mean that the wiper travels beyond its usual limits, or that it's lifting off the windshield when the car is at speed?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 08-21-2004, 07:24 PM

Thanks for the replies. The wiper is not lifting off the window at speed , but extends all the way over onto the driver's a-pillar on some strokes. I've had this car since new, and this has just started. Bill Z
Old 08-21-2004, 08:51 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally posted by BoondockSVX

The SVX has speed sensative wipers. Were you testing the intermittent stuff while the car was stopped? If so, that's the problem.
Nope, while moving. So my wipers only have 4 speeds: Really Slow, just below 'Low', 'Low', and 'High'. My wipers do the same thing that Bill's do as well. If the wipers are set on the 'High' speed, they will move past the edge of the windshield while in motion.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 08-23-2004, 07:17 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
My wipers rest on the rubber stops at the bottom like they're supposed to. They also lightly tap the a-pillar when in use.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:57 PM
After 200, it's all the same.

If your concerned about the travel past the windshield, try replacing the wiper with the next smaller size on the driver side. This will not diminish quality of viewable wiped surface while raining. Just an idea

Keith

1992 Pearly 187K and climbing (11-91) #964 *retired

1992 Pearl SVX 122500 miles #86 FASTAR THAN THE OLD ONE.*SOLD

Everytime I get into my car, it always reminds me that it has POWER
Old 08-23-2004, 11:00 PM
Meow!

That's not going to help. The wiper is almost exactly vertical when it hits the pillar. It's not just the tip that hits.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:19 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

wiper travel too long

I thought I’d breathe life back into this thread to see if anyone ever came up with a solution. I’ve got the same problem. My driver’s side wiper travels so far to the left that it makes contact with the driver’s side pillar, but only for the fist few minutes after I turn the wipers on. After that, it seems to shorten the travel so as not to hit the pillar. Any ideas?
Old 04-15-2006, 02:26 PM
<<<Alcyone

I've seen a few threads with this problem. None of them had come up with a conclusion other than "some SVXi have this problem".

As far as the adjustment that Earthworm suggested, my '92s don't have splined studs so all I had to do was loosen nut, adjust, tighten nut.

My wife had left the wipers on when she got to work, when she started the car to warm it up before she cleared the snow off, the driver's side wiper 'adjusted' itself so that it would only go about half way up the windshield. The car now has its own 1/4 drive ratchet with appropriate socket and my wife is "wiper adjustment cetified".

Pentiums - Melt in your PC, not in your hand!

Project - '92 Claret - Purchased May '06, 99,XXX Miles. Includes two bad engines and one bad tranny, cracked windshield, otherwise mostly complete.

His - '92 Ebony Pearl - Purchased Dec '05, 134,687 Miles. Parked, TC Seal(?) is leaking.Daily driver - 140,500 and climbing.
Hers - '92 Teal - Purchased Aug '05, 129,050 Miles. Daily driver - 160,000 and climbing.
Mods:
PWR Radiator!
Problems:
Antenna doesn't work - Bought a 'new' one - Too cold to install . . . OK, it's warmer but I have other projects too!
Ticking from front of engine, passenger side - Stuck lifter?
Old 04-15-2006, 06:52 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX
As Earthworm mentioned, Take out the arm and re-adjust the position until the arm doesn't extend over the edge. This will take a few trys before you get it right. The SVX also has another speed setting that adjusts the timing of the wiping arms depending how fast you go, example; it will turn on normal at normal speeds- slow at slow speeds- and completly stop when the car is stoped. Hope this helps.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:48 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpianoman
I thought I’d breathe life back into this thread to see if anyone ever came up with a solution. I’ve got the same problem. My driver’s side wiper travels so far to the left that it makes contact with the driver’s side pillar, but only for the fist few minutes after I turn the wipers on. After that, it seems to shorten the travel so as not to hit the pillar. Any ideas?
Did you know that the wipers have two "park" positions? There's a switch underneath the dash down by where your legs are located. I'd be willing to bet that your wipers are set to what I'll call the "deep" park position, where the wipers supposed to park off the windshield. I suspect that someone readjusted the wiper arms so that the wipers are parked on the windshield. If that was done, then the wipers will most definitely smack into the window pillars during operation.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.