Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX > Political Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryIII View Post
If the earth keeps getting warmer, why were those B-17s and P-38s which landed on the ice in Greenland during WW II under 250 ft. of ice.
Way I heard it was as the ice sheets are receding, they are also getting much taller, which evens it out.

Anyways, won't resolving our energy dependency address our impact on climate? I mean converting to electric cars and firing up some nuclear and solar plants to juice them up.
Everyone gets sun, put some photovoltaic cells on your roof. I've seen a few new panels around here.
Use less plastic. Use less everything.

The solutions seem very simple to me.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S. View Post

Everyone gets sun, put some photovoltaic cells on your roof. I've seen a few new panels around here.

do you have solar panels on your roof?

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 04-02-2008, 11:31 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
do you have solar panels on your roof?
I don't own my roof until June. My house was also built in the 60s so it is not easily adaptable to current technologies. To wit: I have to go in the crawlspace and drill holes in the floor to get proper cable TV connections in every room.
My roof in particular iuses a tar and gravel type surfacing so I'm not sure how to adapt a solar array to it.

Seriously though, solar cells are on my agenda, and I even know where to get them in town along with wind generators. First problem is price. They are expensive and I have a lot of debt.
In Anchorage, it is both windy and sunny, especially during the summer. If the power they generate can be harnessed (something I am not quite competent enough to undertake alone) these things would pay for themselves in a short period of time.

So no, I don't, but when I can, I will.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:38 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S. View Post
I don't own my roof until June. My house was also built in the 60s so it is not easily adaptable to current technologies. To wit: I have to go in the crawlspace and drill holes in the floor to get proper cable TV connections in every room.
My roof in particular iuses a tar and gravel type surfacing so I'm not sure how to adapt a solar array to it.

Seriously though, solar cells are on my agenda, and I even know where to get them in town along with wind generators. First problem is price. They are expensive and I have a lot of debt.
In Anchorage, it is both windy and sunny, especially during the summer. If the power they generate can be harnessed (something I am not quite competent enough to undertake alone) these things would pay for themselves in a short period of time.

So no, I don't, but when I can, I will.

so its kinda like me eating a big steak, and lecturing people on how they should be vegetarians.

1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 04-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
I knew that's what you are getting at but no, it's nothing like that because I'm not eating a big steak (nor lecturing anyone), but a lot of people are.

Like I said I don't own the house I live in, I can't just go around modifying it.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:37 AM
Certified Porschephile

Man made global warming is a crock invented by idiots like gore to make money selling "carbon credits" to those dumb enough to buy them. It's also warmer on Mars right now then ever before. Better shut down the Martian Hummer dealers ASAP. Pollution is an issue that needs to be dealt with. Save the sky is falling crap for people not smart enough to see the forest for the trees.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to JLHollowX13
right now we are watching a movie called Planet in Peril. i would recommend it to anyone, its very interesting, all about pollution and global warming. im not sure why the climate is changing exactly, whether its humans or its purely natural, or both. all i know is the water levels are rising and with all these people on earth that means less space for everyone as the coastline recedes. i just hope no body starts moving up here where i live. its nice not having neighbors and not worrying about other people. if the government opens up the national forest to become residential areas because of less space i will no doubt leave the country. they will no longer have MY tax money!

all i know is that humans do do alot of bad in the world. we have wiped out species of animals, taken habitats, and made some places look terrible with trash littered everywhere and forests cut down to stumps. i honestly hate the city. no trees, no wildlife, etc. global warming may be a controversy but i think everyone can agree that man has done alot of damage to earth. maybe we do some things that would have happened naturally anyway, but we make it happen faster without giving the earth a chance to renew the resources or let the animals and plants adapt. they end up dying before they can change to the new environment, thus creating less resources and making less potential for future resources. i guess only the future will tell how everything will end up. people just need to have an open mind about things, i know everyone has their own opinion but i hate people that will not listen to anything unless they believe it. people need to listen to what others have to say and in that people will listen to you. i think if people would do that and put themselves in the position of the other view the world would be much better off. people could actually do something instead of debating things. debating does nothing. action is the only answer. its like people debate because its either their own way or no way. compromising is something that this world definitely has a shortage of.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:08 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Man made global warming is a crock invented by idiots like gore to make money selling "carbon credits" to those dumb enough to buy them. It's also warmer on Mars right now then ever before. Better shut down the Martian Hummer dealers ASAP. Pollution is an issue that needs to be dealt with. Save the sky is falling crap for people not smart enough to see the forest for the trees.
The Chicken Little story is just a fairy tale, it is made up.

Accelerated global warming is a phenomenon with measurements made by eminent scientists, who have the equipment to do these tests and estimate the negative effects. The projected outcome may not flood Colorado, but at the present rate of change rising temperatures will cause serious global flooding and radical weather change among other things.

Didn't anybody explain to you the difference between fairy tales and hard information?

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-06-2008, 09:18 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Doing My Part

I just put diapers and gas bags on all of my cows and horses. Have to stop or capture this terrible generation of methane gases from our food source livestock.

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 04-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
One of the things I dearly love about Global Warming Skeptics is that they are so vociferously agressive in their abject ignorance. "it's just a scam invented by Al Gore...", without a shred of evidence or, even, of any rational thought whatsoever. To quote my father, "The only thing they use their brain for is to keep their spinal cord from unravelling." So, Royal Tiger, by what feat of mental acrobatics did you arrive at your conclusion. I'm sure it was a rigorous scientific process utilizing your prodigious knowlege of large scale fluid dynamics and statistical analysis.

Glen Beck says that global warming is a myth because 52% of Americans don't believe in it. If I followed the advice of 52% of Americans. I'm sure I would be broke, dead, and in jail, because most Americans are too smug in their own ignorance to recognize that they don't have a clue.

Lee, by the way, your cows are only responsible for less than 25% of the greenhouse gas heat gain forcing, as shown in the chart I posted earlier. I think you can forget about the bags and just light their f@rts from time to time. Even though combustion of methane makes carbon dioxide, the net forcing effect is less, because methane is more opaque to long wave infra-red radiation.

Quote:
Gas__Preindustrial Level__Current Level___Increase since 1750___Radiative forcing (Wm2)
Carbon dioxide__280 ppm____________384ppm_______87 ppm___________1.46
Methane_______700 ppb___________1,745 ppb____1,045 ppb___________0.48
Nitrous oxide ___270 ppb____________314 ppb______44 ppb____________0.15
CFC-12__________0________________533ppt______533 ppt____________0.17

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 04-06-2008, 10:18 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77 View Post
I just put diapers and gas bags on all of my cows and horses. Have to stop or capture this terrible generation of methane gases from our food source livestock.

Lee

That's pro-active Lee, I like it.

I think it could be more effective if you shoot 'em and eat 'em.

That'll put a stop to their gassing around.

White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-06-2008, 11:10 AM
Certified Porschephile

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunslade View Post
So, Royal Tiger, by what feat of mental acrobatics did you arrive at your conclusion. I'm sure it was a rigorous scientific process utilizing your prodigious knowlege of large scale fluid dynamics and statistical analysis.
And who's making assumptions? Go buy some carbon credits. You might need them.

I have read literally over 1,000 pages dealing with climate change, since "global warming" is junk science. The mean temperture of the planet is in flux and will always change. Explain the "global warming" on Mars. Pollution is a real threat to this planet, but the boogie man is coming, stop driving your SUV and buy a Prius, which erodes the planet through caustic battery byproducts faster then the CO emmisions of the Hummer, crowd who stand with agenda scientists who refuse to accept varieng points of view. The earth is also colder this year then last. Maybe next year it will be warmer. You can also tie in increase mean tempertures through advanced urbanization since concrete and metal radiate heat and store heat energy longer then trees and open grasslands.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:41 PM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
since "global warming" is junk science.
. This is what is known as an "unverifiable assertion." Also a meaningless noise. I could make another meaningless noise such "No, its not," instead I will respond with noises that convey real information,

The world has been on an upward temperature trend by any quantitative measure for the last 20 or more years. I posted the graphical data earlier in this thread. Please respond at that level of specificity rather than braying.

Paleometeorology has shown a significant correlation between atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations and global mean temperature (as measured by a number of indicators, including tree rings, concentrations of different isotopes, etc), and indirectly to mean sea levels (measured by geological strata). Atmospheric carbon dioxide concentration levels have also recently been rising. Human activity is the likeliest culprit since no other large scale continuous source of carbon dioxide emissions into the atmosphere has been identified.

By the way, I have no idea what is going on on Mars. It may well be getting warmer, but why, and how is that relevant to the earth. Can you state any data that isolates the variance of the martian temperature to independent variables that directly affect the earth?

94 LS-i Emerald Pearl, 106,xxx,; 246 whp; Tomyx snorkus and HKS Cold air intake; PWR aluminum radiator, silicone hoses; Inline thermostat; enhanced coolant routing; external power steering and oil coolers; Phenolic intake manifold spacers; 2004 WRX 5 speed transmission; ACT Clutch Kit, Heavy Duty Pressure Plate, Lightweight flywheel, performance disc; Group N motor mounts; ‘07 WRX 4-pot front calipers, cryo-treated slotted Tribeca rotors; Hawk HPS ferro-carbon pads; Frozenrotor rear slotted rotors; SS brake lines, Axxis Ultimate pads; Rota Torque 17x8 wheels; 245/40-17 Bridgestone RE01-R's; Koni inserts with Ground Control coilovers, Eibach springs; K-Mac camber/caster adjustable strut mounts; Urethane swaybar bushings; Bontrager rear sway bar; Urethane differential bushing; Custom Whiteline adjustable rear lateral links; Outlaw Engineering forged underdrive pulley; custom grind Web intake and exhaust cams (11 mm lift, 250° duration); solid lifters; CP custom aluminum forged 11 to 1 pistons, Brian Crower coated SS intake & exhaust valves; Brian Crower upgraded springs w/ titanium retainers; NGK sparkplugs; RallyBob (Bob Legere) ported and polished cylinder heads; Eagle H-beam rods; ACL Bearings; Cometic Head gaskets; ARP head studs & fasteners; Hydra Nemesis EMS; Wideband O2 sensor; 740cc Injectors; Walbro 255lph fuel pump; Upgraded WRX starter; Equal length SS headers (3 into 1); dual Magnaflow cat converters; 2 into 1 into 2 SS exhaust with Bullet muffler; OT Fiberglass hood; Oil pressure gauge; Programmable shift light,

2017 Subaru Forester XT, metallic dark gray, 29,xxx

2005 Porsche 911 Turbo S Cabrio, 24,xxx

2006 Subaru Outback LL Bean, 166,xxx sold

92 LSL Dark Teal, Smallcar Shift Kit - sold
Old 04-07-2008, 04:11 AM
Certified Porschephile

Without getting into a whole list of issues, I'll answer the one I put forth. Mean tempertures have risen drasticly on Mars in the last 50 years or so, almost the same timeline identified on this planet. Attempts are being made at trying to get some data on Venus, but it's atmosphere is so toxic, most probes have only lasted days. The consensus at this point is that there has been an increase in heat energy and radiation emminating from the sun, therefore an increase in mean ground temps is inevitable. I aknowledge polution and the destruction of natural habitats and open spaces are indeed a threat to this planet, but the fanaticism of a certain group of people about the evils of SUV's and other such nonsense falls far from the level of scientific protocol. There was also a consensus in the early 1970's that we were heading towards a cooling period, which only lasted a short time. The mean temps for 2007 were also lower then in 2006 or 2005. The Earth gets hot, it gets cold. It happened long before man, and probably will happen long after man is gone. I have about as much chance changing your mind as you do changing mine. Go watch some more make it up al movies, inspired by his other make it up buddy michael moore, I'm fine thank you. I have neither the time or intrest in coping and pasting the thousands of pages of charts, graphs, and other info. Think whatever you want, that is your right, as it is mine to think certain idiots like al gore are trying to invent ways to make some money. Funny how mr. peace prize burns 20% more energy then the national average in his personal home, and flies around on a personal jet while trying to shame me into changing my lifestyle. The dnc is the crown jewel of the do as I say, not as I do crowd.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:13 AM
Certified Porschephile

Oh, and to answer your quote, since no one knows what the actual desired mean temperture of the Earth is, "global warming", is a paranoia buzzword. Once pointed out to those running with it, it quickly went back to the correct term, climate change.