SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2006, 12:26 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVX PlayBoy
300 miles away from my mechanic.....

AND I NEED EMERGENCY HELP!!

My car started smoking a few days ago. I was pushing her really hard last weekend. Hard acceleration and what not. I recently made a round trip on Friday from Carbondale Illinois to Champaign IL. It was about 400 or so mile trip. When I filled up my tank, the smoke seemed like it was coming from the front of the ingine and smelled like I was burning oil, and there is a loud ticking sound coming from the engine block. The tick got louder as I reved the engine up.

Now I was going at a decently good clip, 115-130, never slower than 80 or so. It was smoking before the trip, but no ticking. Did I just hurt my car really bad? should I let her rest for a while? Dealership or a local shop to get work done? I am thinking dealer b/c I do not know any mechanics down here.

Any and all help would be AMAZING. Very concerned about my baby, thank you all in advance!
Old 09-16-2006, 01:44 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
check the oil level.
top it off and start it up.
if it is still ticking after idling for a few minutes let us know.

also - duck - because you are going to get hollered at for those speeds.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:55 PM

Oil did look low I did put a quart of it in when I filled up on gas. Not sure what brand was used. Does it matter if I mix brands??
Old 09-16-2006, 08:07 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
at this point any oil is better than no oil. just change asap. did the ticking go away?

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 09-18-2006, 05:40 PM

Did put in 2 quarts or oil, ticking did stop, but I still smell a little burning. Should I just wait to go back to Chicago, which will be the first weekend of October, or find a local mechanic? I saw another teal SVX down here. I was thinking of tracking him down and finding out where he gets his work done.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:35 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
drive it easy and check the oil when you stop for gas, you should be fine. The oil burning smell is probably seals or valve cover leaks.

In the meantime you could clean the engine compartment and then drive it around town a little and then check underneath for the source of the oil leak.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.