Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2010, 02:06 AM
One teal and One yellow

92 Wrecked SVX vs 96 Wrecked SVX

Some of you might remember my 92 TEAL SVX was wrecked by just parking at the lot for a stupid reason. It has been sitting more than a year and half, and I bought it back for cheap.

This past few weeks, I have been thinking and looking for parts. Thought of parting out my yellow one to keep my teal one and etc. Then I found out Tom has front fenders I can buy and door (different glass color) and Huck(thanks huck) has a rear quarter panel I can have it if I go there and cut. But I just need to go road trips.

Few days ago, I seemed to find a good solution. I was kind of happy and less stressful. I talked to one of the 96 SVX owners(one of my fren's roommate) in town, it's in the same town and like THREE miles from my apartment! It's wrecked from a tree!! I can probably buy it for good price but he likes to keep his drivetrain because it was rebuilt not too long ago.

It's a 96 polo green, about 120K. This is one of the first time I see a 96 without Tan Interior color. Interior same color as mine. No sunroof. Most importantly, the whole left side for that SVX is good. Plus, the window color is same as mine. Title is clean.(not important for a part car)

Anyone objects I buy this as a part car to fix my Teal one. I talked to the owner on the phone once and he had no intention to fix it. It looks like it will cost more money to fix than mine. I plan to go look for him tomorrow to confirm everything. If I buy this, I can use all the good parts to make my Teal one fixed and use some of the good parts to make my yellow better.

My 92 teal:

The 96 polo:

It sucked for the owner. Tree fell off and wrecked it. No full coverage. It's been sitting like 6 months thru the winter. It ran good (rebuilt tranny) before that happened.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 07-08-2010, 02:34 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Re: 92 Wrecked SVX vs 96 Wrecked SVX

From where I see it, those cars are equal in terms of damage incurred.

Teal: rear fender, door, front fender (probably hood? Mirror? Taillight?) + paint + ...

Polo: Roof, windshield, front fender, hood.

Now I think most of the guys agree that Polo is a nicer color than teal. Since either car will be involved in cutting fixed metal panels, I would choose fixing the Polo instead. If you cut the roof off yours and weld it to the Polo is the same as you remove the Polo's rear fender and weld it to yours.

I would remove the roof from the teal (with the sunroof?) and install it in the polo, as well as the windshield, hood and fender, even if it will cost me a bit more. Furthermore you will be driving a 96 instead of a 92

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:39 AM
One teal and One yellow

I definitely agree polo is better color than teal.

In term of which one is cheaper to fix, I hope more people can give me some opinions.

Danny,
my 92 teal SVX is LSL
the 96 polo SVX is L, only, I think.
Don't you see no fake wood? No leather wrapped steering wheel and different power steering system and and probably no heated mirror...etc.

I did think about fixing up the 96 polo and tear up my 92 teal. But I can probably buy the whole 96 body for $200 WITHOUT the drive train!! I won't have the tranny in it! He might give me the engine in there. (so I have a spare one lol) But how easy is it to cut the roof? Mine have sunroof...and how are you going to hook up the wire? And sunroof does have the pipes for the water to drain and etc....my understanding!

I do like the polo but interior is wet since the winter because of the damage. The polo has good windows don't see much scratches. Best thing is the title is clean if you fix it up the 96. My 92 will have a rebuilt title when I get it fixed.

92 teal: front fender, door, rear quarter panel, only a side marker taillight damage, no hood damage......I will get a new paint job for whole car..(change color) 4 new tires....done! 71k on motor 36k on tranny - rebuilt title!

96 polo: hood damage, passenger side fender damage, front windshield and a new roof...(how easy to figure out and transfer a roof with sunroof?).....no tranny if I pay for $200....120k on motor...never driven it before so I don't know how it ran.....a new paint job probably... - clean title!

I do like the 96 has manual seat belts and dual airbags but this is not a LSi! So the steering-feel should feel different from the LSL and LSi.

Any more opinions lol!? thanks.

Old 07-08-2010, 04:37 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Why do you want the drivetrain of an L whereas you have an LSL?

What worries me is your rear quarter panel which is a pain to replace. I dunno in my opinion it will never look right and will cost an arm and a leg to replace. I think they will charge you more for it than they do to the roof.

Whereas the roof is an easier replace/fix. The 96 is still an SVX and yes modifications need to be done to the roof area... and you will need to switch it from L to LSL... but will you be repainting it entirely? And you will have a clear title. and you will be driving a 96

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:18 AM
One teal and One yellow

Argh I don't know if you get what I meant. Maybe I was tired to express.

92 LSL is equal to other years' LSi in my opinions.

When it comes to L, it has less options ( I'll lose heated mirrors too and etc ). I also drove SVX L before, the steering-feel is different to me when compare to my LSL and LSi because I think the power steering system is different. It will be very Costly and Hard to get that "feel" back.

The drivetrains are all the same as I think as long as they are all wheel drive. I love my 92 LSL how it drives already (71k motor and 35k tranny) and I knew it. I don't know how about the 96 and how well it ran and I couldn't test drive it. The steering feel will feel different already in the first place since it's not a LSi.

I can probably pay that 96 for the body ONLY for only "$200" without engine and transmission. It's a good deal. Why do I need the drivetrain? If as you said, I fix the 96, so I need the engine and transmission in the car to drive!!! Then if I move the engine and transmission from my 92 to the 96, it's crazy!! It will cost a lot of more money and if you want to sponsor me? I will think about it. Too much work of the time.

I already have two persons in mind to replace my quarter panel. They seem confident. They have done that before. Not a bad price. Not an arm or a leg.

I don't know about fixing the roof and the modification and what switch it from L to LSL. It's still not an entirely LSL.....and don't know what you are talking about. What if it will cost more? What if it doesn't do right, it will leak water when it rains/snows?

A 92 is a 92...a 96 is a 96...but it doesn't mean a 92 is inferior to a 96! What I think if the 96 is fixed,...I like it has a clean title and dual airbags and manual seat belts but it won't have everything my 92 has as well.

I can get the body shell for $200. As you suggest, think about all the work, swapping the engine, transmission and good body part, .....it's a lot of work and money. You want to pay? I can get whole 96 with engine and transmission but it will cost at least another one thousand more, do you want to pay? Then where am I going to keep my excellent engine and transmission from my 92? Can you keep them for me?

Old 07-08-2010, 06:16 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSVX View Post
Argh I don't know if you get what I meant. Maybe I was tired to express.

It will cost a lot of more money and if you want to sponsor me? I will think about it. Too much work of the time.

What if it will cost more? What if it doesn't do right, it will leak water when it rains/snows?

You want to pay? ........... do you want to pay? ........ Can you keep them for me?
lol man cool it down... I was suggesting you do the swaps yourself. Start with the mechanicals/electricals then move on to the roof. And NO it will not leak, and NO I will not sponsor you

(I would find another SVX without body damage and do the mechanical swap tho without all this hassle)