Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects

Old 04-21-2014, 11:03 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
The Revival and Revitilization of Phil Gantz aka phastsvx's former SVX

Well, as some of you already know, a few years back Phil was forced to sell his beloved turbocharged SVX. It was purchased by someone whose wife basically told him he had to sell it so he enlisted me to find a buyer. Found someone to purchase it that was relatively local and long story short, the car ended up being undriveable and at the same time I moved away to PA and was unable to repair it on return trips. Fast forward 2 years and I have picked it up where it has sat. The clutch basically will not disengage so I'm chalking it up to likely a TOB or TOB clip issue. Regardless, if I'm putting a transmission back in the car, it will be getting a 6 spd.

So, besides the STI 6 spd and R180 rear that will be going in, the long and tedious task of bringing this northern car back to proper life will be quite extensive.
Complete Southern Subframes and other main suspension pieces will be powdercoated along with Polish bushings throughout the car.
Coilovers (weighing out the options)
Complete bodywork along with stripping and completely undercoating the unibody construction while the subframes are removed. Also, all new brake and fuel lines run (maybe I'll find a non-abs master cylinder as well) I have a few special goodies I have my eye on and I am also unsure if I will refresh the carbon fiber hood and leave it unpainted (always kind of thought the c/f look was "tacky" after the initial craze of the late 90's/early 00's) or if I will have it painted to match the rest of the car.
Will be looking into brake options and weighing out costs vs improvement as well as service costs

I'm sure there will be more as it comes to mind. I originally had thought/planned when I first came to terms on a deal about transplanting everything into my clean ebony. However, I realized that going about hacking up another car for everything to fit properly seemed like a complete waste and instead have the means and parts and will just completely go through this one. As I mentioned, it will be slow as I have a million things going on. The goal is to get a bunch of stuff sold that will go towards this as well as towards home improvements. Eventually, I'd like to do an engine build and will go about that once the timeframe calls for it.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:40 PM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX
Re: The Revival and Revitilization of Phil Gantz aka phastsvx's former SVX

Well Nate, lots of plans for this car. Nice to see it will be getting some much needed love after sitting neglected for so long. I hope you post a lot pictures for us as you make progress.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007

Last edited by Sean486; 04-22-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:32 PM

Registered SVX

Thanks Sean. As a slight update, I just acquired a K-staff front bumper as well as non abs master cylinder. I'm still contemplating keeping the a/c functional. (It had been partially removed) however, I'm leaning towards ditching it. I have other cars for the extremely hot days.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:44 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Nice! Looking forward to seeing this happen. I'll probably start my restoration/build thread soon so this will help keep me motivated.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 04-23-2014, 01:29 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

The race is on. And I'm way behind.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 04-23-2014, 04:28 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
The race is on. And I'm way behind.
To be fair, the most difficult stuff is done IMO. Though, you don't have to worry about rust and whatnot
This car has sort of relit my passion.

BTW, for those wondering, the K-staff bumper is normally just an "add-on part+ that needs to be bonded to the stock bumper. I will be working with a couple friends to make a complete mold to have it 100% or near 100% bolt onto the SVX. More to come.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:03 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

^ this!

Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 04-25-2014, 03:12 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Well, as some of you already know, a few years back Phil was forced to sell his beloved turbocharged SVX. It was purchased by someone whose wife basically told him he had to sell it so he enlisted me to find a buyer. Found someone to purchase it that was relatively local and long story short, the car ended up being undriveable and at the same time I moved away to PA and was unable to repair it on return trips. Fast forward 2 years and I have picked it up where it has sat. The clutch basically will not disengage so I'm chalking it up to likely a TOB or TOB clip issue. Regardless, if I'm putting a transmission back in the car, it will be getting a 6 spd.

So, besides the STI 6 spd and R180 rear that will be going in, the long and tedious task of bringing this northern car back to proper life will be quite extensive.
Complete Southern Subframes and other main suspension pieces will be powdercoated along with Polish bushings throughout the car.
Coilovers (weighing out the options)
Complete bodywork along with stripping and completely undercoating the unibody construction while the subframes are removed. Also, all new brake and fuel lines run (maybe I'll find a non-abs master cylinder as well) I have a few special goodies I have my eye on and I am also unsure if I will refresh the carbon fiber hood and leave it unpainted (always kind of thought the c/f look was "tacky" after the initial craze of the late 90's/early 00's) or if I will have it painted to match the rest of the car.
Will be looking into brake options and weighing out costs vs improvement as well as service costs

I'm sure there will be more as it comes to mind. I originally had thought/planned when I first came to terms on a deal about transplanting everything into my clean ebony. However, I realized that going about hacking up another car for everything to fit properly seemed like a complete waste and instead have the means and parts and will just completely go through this one. As I mentioned, it will be slow as I have a million things going on. The goal is to get a bunch of stuff sold that will go towards this as well as towards home improvements. Eventually, I'd like to do an engine build and will go about that once the timeframe calls for it.
Dammit NATE!!!

Post some pictures of this projects. plenty and plenty of pictures. you know the rules...
1992 Dark Teal LS-L 237k #103994 (Sold)
GC8 Nardi Steering Wheel/
Crossed Drilled Rotors/
18" Exel Evo Wheels/15min Mod/
6k HIDs/ECU Crush Mod/
Power Mode Mod

1997 Brilliant Red LSI 151k #100109
PWR AU Radiator, Stebro Catback, Hella Supertones, SS Brake Lines, Cross Drilled Rotors, QC, Power Mode Mod, SSR GT3 Wheels 18x8 et35

1997 Ebony Mica LSi 177k #100321
Old 05-01-2014, 01:27 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX

Cannot say how happy and excited I am!

All this has me closing my eyes and pretending I can feel her hit boost. I can almost smell the open wastegate now.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:16 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobyru View Post
Dammit NATE!!!

Post some pictures of this projects. plenty and plenty of pictures. you know the rules...
It's almost sad to post any pictures in its current state. It's not in any sort of severe disrepair, but I'd at least have it driving before I really post any pics. It will be a very long project, and first I need to clear out inventory to make room for time and money for this car. (aka, someone buy my ebony!!! )

I'll try to post up a few pics in the next month or so when I'm not driving 2000 miles each weekend. (no exaggeration, 1800 miles last weekend, 2200 this weekend, 1400 next weekend, a weekend off from driving, then around 2500 Memorial Day Weekend.)
Old 05-03-2014, 09:09 PM
XT6 is SVX's Daddy

Send a message via ICQ to Myxalplyx Send a message via AIM to Myxalplyx Send a message via Yahoo to Myxalplyx

Good luck on your project!
1996 3.3ltr SVX (AWD/Auto) 15.070@91.38mph
***R.I.P***
2010 RAV4 AWD Sport (13.717 @ 99.19mph )
2015 Honda Fit LX CVT (15.2 @ 90mph)
Old 06-03-2014, 07:51 PM

Registered SVX

Well, I wasn't really planning on getting fired Monday, but it happened and just wanted to update here that this project will continue moving forward. It may be a slower pace, but I already have the k-staff bumper on it's way to being repaired and then a mold being made.
Old 01-08-2015, 12:46 AM
eg33svx95

Registered SVX

Nate we all know you were/are super busy and had some serious accidents this past year. However, this thread needs some updating on your end.

Maybe make it a resolution to work on this car some this year. Don't let such an iconic vehicle sit for another year.

Maybe if you start doing some work, you will motivate the rest of the crowd to continue/finish their builds. (Ie. Nassir, how's the Megasquirt coming along?)

Don't mean to be a pain in the ass, just some nice motivation is all!
Brilliant Red 95 SVX L AWD 149K miles - #904/1801, 08 STI 6MT with DCCD & VSS, ACT SB10 HDSS, 6MT bushings, DW200 Fuel pump, 17x7.5 VX-SCYTHE Wheels, 17x8 BBS STI Wheels,PERRIN CRANK PULLEY, 911 Turbo oil filter,$15/15min MOD & $20/20min Mod, Brontrager WORKS 22mm RSB w/ QS component endlinks, SS Brake Lines, DDM TUNING 6000K HID LOWS, Hella Optilux Extreme Yellow Fog Lights,Window scratcher fix, JDM Clear Corners

My Locker

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: