Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2013, 07:39 AM

Re: Turbo SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
With the coils - I simply removed the original rubber boot, inserted the original spring (which falls out when you removed the rubber boot), add any $5 lead from auto shop and cable tie the lead on with spring connecting the lead to the screw in top of coil. I haven't really liked this method and always wanted to improve it but it never let me down so I've never got around to making it better.
Thats the thought I was having. With the shorter spring from the grey STi coils and zip tieing the plug wire on it should work pretty well. As long as the zip tie keeps the plug wire from being pushed off, which it should with the large lip on the coil pack if it is zip tied in the right place well enough. Time to fab up a pair of brackets and get the right wire sets. The better spark will be welcome in my supercharged car to avoid the stumbles.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:28 PM

Little bit of an update. Wideband installed with new bung. Both power windows died and the boot gas lifters were a bit tired so replaced them.

So many times on the SVX I think, wow - that's impressive engineering like with the air con system, the original auto gearbox or the suspension setup or the engine and drive-ability the stock unit provides. The seat and steering position also - brilliant and the chassis strength.

However, so many many times I'm also looking at bits and pieces thinking, WTF did Subaru do that for. The little plastic window clips that enable the power window cable system to work are a disaster - no idea how they lasted this long, the dash weighs about 17 tonnes and I also replaced the gas lifters thinking the boot would be nice and light .... fail lol. Dam windows are designed in a such a way that you cannot use the windscreen washer with them open (unless you want a shower) and the steering wheel is like driving a bus, "got anything a little smaller". So I think it's a love / hate relationship haha. I guess the best thing is being a Subaru all the STI bits fit... Subaru SVX STI... WIN.

"E" has given me some nice ideas though which I'll most likely have a look at, he has an STI gearboot surround which looks brilliant and some 8 pot brakes which would really make the car look nice and tough.

Not sure if I'll turbo it, maybe the 272 cam'd engine will be enough for a ****load of fun, well more fun. The car is already great fun - certainly has the X factor about it.

Last edited by bazza; 05-21-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:42 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Bazza,

True enough!! It would be interesting to see how a "Bazza-preped" SVX with a NA EG33 would do on the track.

Cheers,
Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 05-24-2013, 05:12 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
However, so many many times I'm also looking at bits and pieces thinking, WTF did Subaru do that for.
Exactly. I've only just started stripping mine for resto, and I've said the same a dozen times already.

Funny (or not!) how it can be over engineered and fragile at the same time.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamestone View Post
Exactly. I've only just started stripping mine for resto, and I've said the same a dozen times already.

Funny (or not!) how it can be over engineered and fragile at the same time.
Perfect time for a 6 speed conversion
93 Liquid Silver SVX - sti 6 speed with R180 diff, my05 sti steering wheel, sti alloy lateral links, 19x8.5 275/30 42mm offset front and 19x8.5 275/30 22mm offset on the rear, 6 pot brembo caliper with 355 rotors front, 2 pot brembos rear
95 bright red SVX
96 emerald pearl SVX about to revive