Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2012, 11:14 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX
Seen the FRS?

http://www.scion.com/cars/FR-S/index.html

I've never been one to find the Scion's very appealing, but I got to see one this last weekend. Subaru has made the engine for the Scion FRS. It comes with either auto-box, or a 6 speed grinder.

Although the MPG rating is oddly low for the car, it looks like it could be a lot of fun. Any opinions?
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles

Last edited by ShiuludeSVX; 06-12-2012 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Link addition
Old 06-13-2012, 06:07 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Seen the FRS?

It is a BRZ only stripped down and has a softer suspension , that is how it was explained to me by a Subaru dealer when I asked.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:27 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

The dealer had it wrong on the suspension, the FRS has a stiffer suspension and is more tail happy than the BRZ.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Waiting to see a Scion FRS in person that doesn't have an automatic transmission...
Old 06-13-2012, 06:21 PM

Registered SVX

Our dealer has 4 ... All auto
Old 06-13-2012, 07:51 PM

Registered SVX

I just ran into my pal who works for the Toyota dealer around the corner... said the third they were expecting just showed up. That makes 3 for 3, all automatic. Boooo...
Old 06-13-2012, 11:00 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetItSnow View Post
Waiting to see a Scion FRS in person that doesn't have an automatic transmission...
I didn't have the time to take a drive in the 6 speed, as there was an event going on, but when I get up to Flagstaff again, I will make sure and take a test .

Seemed like all the shifting was going to be rather tight, but not a bad thing.

The website pictures do not depict the shape very well, as it appears to be real long in the nose, but first person, it is a bit cleaner than that.

The dealer was REAL happy that I was still driving an SVX around. haha
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles
Old 06-14-2012, 04:57 AM

I saw an ad for the FRS on TV the other night and wondered if Subaru will ever again actually, actively try to sell cars by some means other than word-of-mouth and PBS sponsorship.

dcb
Old 06-14-2012, 06:56 AM

Registered SVX

I hear them on the radio all the time here. Can't speak fairly for television; I don't watch much. Of course, you're a few shades short of snow country, so you might get a little less attention, especially at a time when the cars haven't been staying on lots long.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:57 AM

Yeah, but I don't mean regional stuff; I'm talking national, broad spectrum advertising. I vividly remember TV spots and even a full-page ad in Rolling Stone in support of the old XT. So when I saw the FRS commercial on ESPN or whatever the other night, I immediately wondered if Subaru is going to follow the SVX/Baja marketing plan with the BRZ. I'm thinking the target market for this car falls a bit outside the "Antiques Roadshow" demographic.

Maybe they are indeed marketing the thing by other means and I don't see this because I am well within the "Antiques Roadshow" demographic.

dcb
Old 06-14-2012, 11:33 AM

Registered SVX

I'm in LA and I see Subaru national spots all the time. Mostly for the new Impreza and a few spots for the current Outback/Legacy. They all play on longevity and passing the earlier Subaru down to the kids and then show the later/current model Subaru for dad or mom.

They are all safety family oriented... with a few good ones. One with a bunch of dogs going to the beach.

Also a great one that has been showing for a while of a little tiny girl sitting the driver's seat getting ready to drive and talking to her dad.

I doubt there will be ads for the BRZ... at least for now. It's a low volume car (for Subaru right now) and it would not make too much sense advertising for it. Plus they are getting enough buzz just through the very positive reviews right now.

Last edited by dbarnblatt; 06-14-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:19 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnblatt View Post
I doubt there will be ads for the BRZ... at least for now. It's a low volume car (for Subaru right now) and it would not make too much sense advertising for it. Plus they are getting enough buzz just through the very positive reviews right now.
Very true.
They have sold more BRZ's than they can make already - we're told that current orders might not be filled until november. I doubt they will start advertising until late in the year if not next year. That is, unless they start to build up too many of the automatics and need to move them.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:34 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
Very true.
They have sold more BRZ's than they can make already - we're told that current orders might not be filled until november. I doubt they will start advertising until late in the year if not next year. That is, unless they start to build up too many of the automatics and need to move them.
High school girl graduation presents depleted the inventory.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)