How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2010, 01:30 PM

Salutations - need help with starting problem

Hello everyone! This is my first post here. However I have visited this forum on almost a daily basis for half a year. I would first like to give a BIG thanks to immortal suby for making it possible to even be able to write this message, what a perfect christmas gift! I would like to also tip my hat to all of you for helping me to better understand the svx, you have saved me hundredes since i've become an owner. I have a 94 Ls fdw which is currently not cranking. When I bought the car the alternator, fuel pump and battery had all been recently replaced with proof of receipt. Other than replacing the valve cover gaskets(thanks to how to doc), she has not given my any other problems, until now. I have been stranded twice in the past month and had to tow it back home both times. I know it's not the battery as the engine is turning when I try to crank it. Suggestions on how to get back on the road would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:11 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Salutations

Now, at first you say it does not crank but then later say it is not the battery because it does turn....

First clarify which it is, does it crank and not fire or not crank at all?
Secondly, do you have a check engine light on?
Old 12-24-2010, 02:39 PM

It will crank but not fire. The engine light came on once for a few miles then went off. I did a self diagnostic and got code 37 for O2 sensor LH.

Last edited by Will; 12-24-2010 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Incorrect diognosis
Old 12-24-2010, 08:57 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Good to see you finally got on.

Post some more details on the no start problem and we'll try to get it figured out. I'll be glad to help in wrenching on it when we figure out what is wrong.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:30 PM

Question Re: Salutations

Ok so I have power to the car,and it cannot be jumped started,which leads me to beleive it's not the battery. The engine is turning over so I don't think it's the starter either. It's just not firing. The fans don't turn on when trying to start so not too sure if that would eliminate the coolant temp sensor or not. Tried to start in N and P to check inhibitor switch, neither will start. Fuel pump was replaced about 15000 miles ago by previous owner,aswell as a remanufactured Bosch Al4823x alternator. Just replaced all 6 spark plugs, NGK. One of my coils, drivers side back coil was covered in oil due to valve cover gasket leak which have also been replaced. Would a bad coil cause it not to start? Also about the last week or so the car was running it was making a terrible noise which I would describe as a saw cutting wood,not quit as loud, coming from drive belt area(replaced belts too) . My shadetree mechanic Is convinced that noise is bad barrings in one of the pulleys, either crank or idler, haven't delved into that yet though.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:07 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Timing belt is the next place I'd check. And from the sound of it replacing the timing belt idler pulleys and possibly water pump.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
Old 12-25-2010, 09:18 AM

Oh yea, replaced timing belt, water pump and thermostat @ 117k, I'm now @137k. Not sure about the timing belt idler pulleys. Most everything was replaced by the previous owner who maintained the car very well. Its like it has to be something simple. I looked for the 5 pin relay that you mentioned under the dash for about an hour last night but was unsuccessful in finding the thing.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:30 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
Oh yea, replaced timing belt, water pump and thermostat @ 117k, I'm now @137k. Not sure about the timing belt idler pulleys. Most everything was replaced by the previous owner who maintained the car very well. Its like it has to be something simple. I looked for the 5 pin relay that you mentioned under the dash for about an hour last night but was unsuccessful in finding the thing.
I don't think it is the 5 pin relay since you actually are cranking, just not starting. The 5 pin only helps a no-crank at all problem.

Might be a good idea to inspect the timing belt even if it was replaced. Something had to make the noise you mentioned above.

Perhaps we have a crank angle sensor problem?

I'll move this thread to the technical questions section - might get more help in there.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:45 AM

Re: Salutations - need help with starting problem

Appreciated! Crank angle sensor is located under the alternator?
Old 12-25-2010, 09:52 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

What condition is your crank pulley in?

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 12-25-2010, 09:58 AM

Rusted and probably needs to be replaced asap.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:03 AM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX

There is a rubber cushion that holds the outer part of the pulley to the inner. It's common for it to separate rendering your alternator useless. It also tends to chew through your timing belt cover producing the noise you described.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Old 12-25-2010, 10:12 AM

Interesting! Maybe that would explain the black dust like substance around the pulley and under the belt cover that I have noticed. Any way to check for this cushion or should I just proceed with replacing the pulley?
Old 12-25-2010, 10:45 AM
What Potholes ???

Registered SVX

I have to credit melis 4 this put a line of white paint on both halves of the pulley give it a few cranks and see if they are still lined up when you're done.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:52 AM

I can't wait to finish the days events to get home and test this theory. Thanks for the help michael. To be continued!