How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2010, 01:18 PM

Cool Electrical probs??

I recently performed a motor swap in my 94 svx. (used engine out or wrecked SVX) The old engine had a knock. I thought I had all the bugs out of it, so I installed a ECUtune V1.5 chip upgrade about 10 miles after completing the swap.

Yesterday, about 10 miles down the road, I started getting intermittent flashing warning lights. Four of them would flash dimly together, on and off, on and off, sometimes off for a minute then back to on an off. They are the power-steering, brake stop light, parking brake light, and battery. The abs light also flashes intermittently, but not at the same time as the others. The car seemed to drive fine, I drove it 10 miles after the problem started, then it began an intermittent miss??

I noticed when installing the chip, it said to test by hooking up and turn on key and look for check engine light to come on. Mine never did. Could I have a bad chip?? (I bought it used from another member), or is there another problem??

Thanks for your help.

Brian
Old 11-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Electrical probs??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricud View Post
I recently performed a motor swap in my 94 svx. (used engine out or wrecked SVX) The old engine had a knock. I thought I had all the bugs out of it, so I installed a ECUtune V1.5 chip upgrade about 10 miles after completing the swap.

Yesterday, about 10 miles down the road, I started getting intermittent flashing warning lights. Four of them would flash dimly together, on and off, on and off, sometimes off for a minute then back to on an off. They are the power-steering, brake stop light, parking brake light, and battery. The abs light also flashes intermittently, but not at the same time as the others. The car seemed to drive fine, I drove it 10 miles after the problem started, then it began an intermittent miss??

I noticed when installing the chip, it said to test by hooking up and turn on key and look for check engine light to come on. Mine never did. Could I have a bad chip?? (I bought it used from another member), or is there another problem??

Thanks for your help.

Brian
Hi Brian, the lights are the alternator signaling a problem. Could be a loose connection on the alternator plug, or it may be an overcharging fault from the alternator regulator.I would check the charging voltage to see if it gets higher than 14.7V, as it can cause damage to the system.

Can't see the chip causing it.

Harvey.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:16 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

When you turn the key on but not to the start position does the check engine light turn on with all the others? If not the bulb is probably burnt.
+1 on the charging issue.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:30 PM

Replaced alternator & prob solved. Engine light never comes on. Will check bulb.

Still have intermittant miss. Only when hot. Am guessing bad coil. Any easy way to tell which one?

Thanks
Old 02-27-2011, 02:48 PM
5 speed 4 sure

Registered SVX

Just saw the date on last response 11/02/2010. I've been off the grid for a while (out of forum practice) just happily driving my '92 SVX. Just started restoring a 94 Pearl

Lights Issue
I have the exact same electrical prob with my lights after swapping trannies from a bad shell to a good one...94 Pearl...sweet. Found a really crappy battery to body ground and replaced it. Still the same lights, Battery, Brake, Stop Lamp. Thanks for the tip on the alternator replacement! I'll check voltage but that sounds like a likely culprit.

Bad Coil disagnoses (Shade tree method)
I had two coils go slowly bad at once and it was impossible to tell which ones they were until I started swapping 3 coils in one side at a time. I narrowed it to the passenger side then to the 2 rear coils. Exact same symtoms, Intermittent misses when hot. Good luck!

Last edited by svxcuseme; 02-27-2011 at 02:55 PM.