How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-19-2010, 10:34 AM
The Molinator

NEW Fuel Pump.. . Brand?

If I get a new fuel pump, which one: The OEM subaruparts.com for $294 + S/H or one of the many OE replacement pumps on Ebay or ??? I know some are noisey.. . Is there a quiet/high-flow one that's good + cheap? How about the "Tre" and "High Flow" brands they show on Ebay. . ? [They range from $26 to $70!]

Please give any advice.. . I need to order quick.. . Or just put back together as-is and hope it keeps working (?)!

Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!

Last edited by James Scott; 04-19-2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:40 AM

Re: NEW Fuel Pump.. . Brand?

Not speaking from experience, but I'd look into a warranted aftermarket unit from one of the national chains: NAPA, O'Reilly, AutoZone, whatever. Ebay would be my last resort.

dcb
Old 04-19-2010, 10:40 AM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake

I think a walbro 255 lph will fit and there like $100.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

+1 on the walbro. It's like only $80.00 on eBay. Only thing is, you have to make your own wiring harness for it so make sure it's right.
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 04-19-2010, 01:54 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10

I just did the Walbro on my SVX this weekend. I think it is louder than the OE one. I can't hear it while idling or driving, though. But, I do have a loud exhaust.

The walbro is not a perfect fit. If you don't like making small adjustments to the wiring harness or mounting bracket to ensure all is secure, I'd get the OE unit. If you're OK with doing a little modification, the Walbro is fine. I'd be happy to give you detailed instructions on how to do the minor changes on the Walbro unit. They really are minor. When it was all said and done, it looked like it could've come that way from the factory!
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 04-19-2010, 02:10 PM

Registered SVX

Should make a how to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX10 View Post
I just did the Walbro on my SVX this weekend. I think it is louder than the OE one. I can't hear it while idling or driving, though. But, I do have a loud exhaust.

The walbro is not a perfect fit. If you don't like making small adjustments to the wiring harness or mounting bracket to ensure all is secure, I'd get the OE unit. If you're OK with doing a little modification, the Walbro is fine. I'd be happy to give you detailed instructions on how to do the minor changes on the Walbro unit. They really are minor. When it was all said and done, it looked like it could've come that way from the factory!
Old 04-19-2010, 04:42 PM
The Molinator

Did you replace the inside-tank filter "screen"?

BTW.. . My other thread about this [my pump stopped and then started after I removed and re-inserted the harness connector on top of the gas tank?] has not even got a comment! Doesn't someone know about my prospects for this old (202K miles) fuel pump continuing to work for some reasonable period?? HeLp!?

Thanks, Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Old 04-20-2010, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Scott View Post
BTW.. . My other thread about this [my pump stopped and then started after I removed and re-inserted the harness connector on top of the gas tank?] has not even got a comment! Doesn't someone know about my prospects for this old (202K miles) fuel pump continuing to work for some reasonable period?? HeLp!?

Thanks, Jim
Again, not speaking from (SVX) experience: In my 35+ years of driving I've had one fuel pump failure, in an '86 Subaru approaching 200,000 miles, and it just flat quit. One moment the car was cruising perfectly, the next I was coasting. I think that's the way it usually goes with fuel pumps, and from your description I'd guess your problem probably had something to do with the electrical connections rather than the pump. Still, at 200,000+ miles, you might as well just change the thing and call it preventive maintenance.

I've no idea what OEM-equivalent availability might be at an auto parts chain, but if a proper replacement is available I can't fathom why you'd want to buy something that necessitates modifications, unless it's to save big money (which I doubt).

dcb

EDIT: AutoZone's Web site lists an "Airtex Master" fuel pump with a one-year warranty for $85.99; in stock at the store nearest me or available for home delivery. It's the only pump they show for an SVX. Certainly could be it's a "one size fits all" unit that requires fiddling to make fit. I'd ask.

Last edited by dcarrb; 04-20-2010 at 05:01 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:53 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Or go with the walbro because people here have done them before and could walk you through what to do.
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 04-20-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamesy View Post
Should make a how to.
Can do. Give me a little time to draw some instructions since I didn't take pics
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

Old 04-20-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Scott View Post
Did you replace the inside-tank filter "screen"?

Thanks, Jim
Yes I did, it comes with the Walbro kit.

Concerning your other thread, it's tough to say. I had fueling issues about 6months ago that I "fixed" with a new battery. I now suspect that the first encounter with this issue was an early sign of the pump's impending death.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:03 PM
The Molinator

Quote:
I'd be happy to give you detailed instructions on how to do the minor changes on the Walbro unit. They really are minor. When it was all said and done, it looked like it could've come that way from the factory!
Dear SVX10: Please post your "How-To" for your fuel pump replacement ASAP. I bought a Carter P72193 fuel pump ($85) from Pep Boys today, which looks very similar to the Airtex I viewed at Autozone (I liked the included pump harness for the Carter kit; both included strainers). I'm sure the Walbro kit is also similar.

I have no idea how the tank cap comes off (screws off?), let alone how the fuel meters and fuel pump are attached inside the tank??? [I don't need to remove the gas, do I?] I assume the cap screws off.. . and can be removed with a rigged jig to engage the cap ring flanges (?). I hope I can reuse the cap sealer "gasket" (Can I?).

I'm concerned about the noise this unit might put out after hearing so much about noisey aftermarket fuel pumps. However, I agree with your assessment that this "incident" might be the very near "beginning of the end" for my 202K miles pump!

Please send even a sketchy "How To" ASAP as I must make my decision very soon. Thanks for your help.. .

Jim

Last edited by James Scott; 04-20-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:04 AM

the how to is done, though it would be infinitely better with pics. How do I upload it?

Old 04-21-2010, 12:26 PM
The Molinator

Mat: I hope someone else can help you . . ? I'm not the IT guy.. . Sorry! Can't wait to read tho.. . Jim
Old 04-21-2010, 05:13 PM

For now, just PM your e-mail address to me. We can get it posted here later.