Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-18-2010, 08:20 PM

Question Transmission input

O K heres a story, bought a used tranny from a forester, dropped the svx tranny,(did not have the svx high enough but thats another story and forgot to drain the front diff, el stinko) changing over all brackets and misc hardware, so far good to go, but something not quite right about the way the TC fits in there it seems to be in far enough but it is loose fitting and when turned it would rub the bell housing a wee bit. So I'm as green as they come when it comes to auto trannys, but boy am I learning alot, upon removing the svx TC I see a shaft inside a splined tube, O K cool, I removed the forester TC no shaft inside the splined tube, this can't be correct, correct??? It would seem that I'm screwed, great just great. So I wonder if the svx shaft will pull out of there and fit in the forester tube I wonder??? Will it? it does, does it fit correctly??? Seems to, its all the way in and is turning some of those magical gears in there. Is the TC all the way in? yes seems to be about 3/8 inch from the bell housing and does not rub!! (somebody please correct/stop me if this will not work as I plan on reinstalling in the next couple days) So a word of warning to all make sure you have that shaft in there or I don,t think going fast or slow will be in your future. Any other used tranny tips that should be passed along will be greatly appreciated, O K gotta go smell that gear oil in the driveway...................................G
94legacywagon"whinny"
84Brat"huey"
92svx"samantha".pearl
92svx"sabastian"4.44 silver
92svx"sabrina".ebony
05legacy gt limited "Moon" blue.
06 Subaru legacy gt limited.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:25 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Re: Transmission input

What year forester?

Is there a spin on filter on the side of the transmission case of the Forester transmission.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:38 PM

98, no. ..........G
94legacywagon"whinny"
84Brat"huey"
92svx"samantha".pearl
92svx"sabrina".ebony
Old 04-18-2010, 09:19 PM

did you replace the rear diff too? what gear ratio is on your new tranny? You swapped the front speed sensor as well, I hope it is easier to get to when not installed. As for the shaft, sounds like you did the right thing. However if you have a different gear ratio in your front diff than your rears you will be in a world of hurt if you try to drive it.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:28 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

The best way I've found for seating the TC is this;
1 - Get it into place
2 - Spin the TC clockwise a few rotations
3 - Slowly turn it CCW while lifting up and pushing in
4 - Repeat 2-3 untill full seated
Old 04-19-2010, 09:14 AM

Thanks for the tips, the tranny is 4.44, I still need the rear diff and I know it needs to be 4.44.I just want to get the tranny back in then move on to the rear. the TC is fully seated as described by members of this board and visualy correct, swapped the frount speed sensor as well as every bracket that the svx tranny had, I can't see why this shaft swap could cause any problem since its all the way in and doing whats its supposed to do in there, but again I'm no expert. I am really glad I found this out before slapping that 200lb tank back in there, there would have been no expaining that one?!
Thanks again very much for the tips on this, boy does that gear oil smell good?????...G
94legacywagon"whinny"
84Brat"huey"
92svx"samantha".pearl
92svx"sabrina".ebony
Old 04-19-2010, 08:59 PM

bumpity bump, ok today I tried to purchase three seals for the tranny at the dealer, ha what a hoot, couldn't find the seals for a 98 forester tranny in their computer, didn't have them in stock that they couldn't find in the computer, so napa will have them in the morning. Sheeesh try to do it right and this happens so tommorrow this tranny goes back in, wish me luck............G
94legacywagon"whinny"
84Brat"huey"
92svx"samantha".pearl
92svx"sabrina".ebony
Old 04-21-2010, 06:44 PM

update, napa blew it, sent me home with the wrong bell housing seal, drove to spokane dealer, had the seal in my hand in less than 5 minutes, yay!!! installed yay, tranny installed today, yay. Not tested yet but its gona work??!! SVX on people......G
94legacywagon"whinny"
84Brat"huey"
92svx"samantha".pearl
92svx"sabrina".ebony
Old 05-03-2010, 09:40 PM

O K here is the conclusion to the job, 4.44 forester tranny with an svx tranny input shaft installed filled with fluid, 4.44 outback rear diff swapped to the lsd svx carrier installed filled with fluid, all parts reinstalled, svx fired right up as usual. With all wheels off the ground all seems fine, shifts through all gears with no abnormal noises or shudders after about half hour off diagnostic activity nothing wrong but I did get a blinky power light upon refiring, we'll just have to take him for a spin tomorrow to get the low down.
Many many many thank you's to SVXFILES for the awsome rightup on the swap, also thanks to 1986NATE, HOCREST, SOWISE, and ALL of the people on this board who have posted info regarding these cars, you made it possible for me to do this job as well as others with confidence. Oh ya this is, err was just a parts car!!!....................G
94legacywagon"whinny"
84Brat"huey"
92svx"samantha".pearl
92svx"sabrina".ebony
Old 05-03-2010, 10:40 PM

Registered SVX

Blinking power light means that there is a transmission code.
#1 thing is to double check that the transmission harnesses are completely connected and "clicked" in. Also, check to see what code(s) you have... If you have like 5 or 6 codes, or something like that, that will point to the electrical harness.
The process for getting your codes is not difficult and it is in the new how-to section. Also, make sure to run the check for both stored codes, as well as active.

And don't thank me, I got all my info off here as well

Last edited by 1986nate; 05-03-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:54 PM

Checked codes today after driving, yeah driving for the very first time, got code 12, that was easy! So solenoid b is not happy, how to proceed, servicable on car? Can I us the one off the svx tranny? I'll check harness plugs for tightness..............G
94legacywagon"whinny"
84Brat"huey"
92svx"samantha".pearl
92svx"sabrina".ebony
Old 05-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbianchi View Post
Checked codes today after driving, yeah driving for the very first time, got code 12, that was easy! So solenoid b is not happy, how to proceed, servicable on car? Can I us the one off the svx tranny? I'll check harness plugs for tightness..............G
Code No.12, solenoid B, is for the converter lock-up clutch, fortunately it is the only on the underside of the valve body, so easy to replace.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.

Last edited by oab_au; 05-04-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:13 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

You can see Solenoid B at the bottom of the pict.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:15 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbianchi View Post
Almost certainly you can. Provided that the solenoid is a normally closed device. Harvey will claim otherwise, but here is the evidence copied from an email from the experts Level !0, dated 16 Dec 2006:-

To Trevor, Great question? You are correct. When not energized they are restricted/shut off. Pat

This was in in reply to:- You are acknowledged experts in respect of automotive transmissions and I therefore am approaching you for a favour in respect of kindly advice. It is my understanding that the PWM solenoid valves incorporated for line pressure, center clutch and lock up control, are all normally closed devices. i.e. When the solenoid is not energised fluid pressure is restricted/shut off. When energised the valve opens and passes fluid to a drain.

You can prove the point by trying to blow through the valve without the solenoid being energised.

When you remove the faulty solenoid try the same exercise. If there is any leakage this could indicate debris preventing full closure of the valve. A good clean could solve this problem. Also apply short pulses of 12 volts and check that the solenoid responds by fully and consistently opening and closing. Work the solenoid in this way, if you decide to clean it.

If you decide to use the used SVX solenoid valve, to be sure it is OK, apply the same tests for good measure.

Of all the solenoid valves, "B" does the least work. Otherwise if would be definitely prudent, as a matter of course, to fit a brand new replacement.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 05-05-2010, 12:26 PM

Thank you Harvey, Thank you Trevor, picture tells alot, I think I can do this, so I'm gona do it, any reason to not drive it the way it is, a little bit???........................G
94legacywagon"whinny"
84Brat"huey"
92svx"samantha".pearl
92svx"sabrina".ebony