Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Suspension
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2010, 08:04 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
new coilover opportunity (March, 2010)

Hey Guys,

I'm spending most of my bench racing time on an Evo forum these days, but I am always keeping my eye out for mods/parts for the SVX. A fellow Evo owner here in the Tri-Cities recently showed me a set of coilovers made by a company called AMR Engineering in Seattle. They are very well made single adjustable (rebound) coilovers with preload adjustment, ride height adjustment, and solid spherical joint top hats. I took a peek and the AMR website and found that they sell coilovers for a variety of cars with all their coilovers priced at about $1800/set. With a price this affordable, I immediately thought of the SVX and this evening, I finally made contact with the owner of the company.

I think you guys could be in a bit of luck as a few people he knows own an SVX, so he is aware of the lack of any true coilover products for the SVX. He told me that if someone is willing to pay, then he's willing to engineer a set for the SVX. He also suggested that a group buy would work for him as well. I am waiting for a response from the owner on estimated cost, but in the mean time, I wanted to get it out in the forum here for people to consider any possible interest.

For those who are interested, I just want to be clear that these are a full-on performance coilover. Most of his products run spring rates of at least 400 lbs/in. I believe that my buddy's Evo 10 has ~600 lb/in spring rates. Now these rates aren't necessarily going to make the ride harsh, but they will definitely make it firm, and the solid pillow ball top hats are going to transmit some noise. The point here is that these coilovers are aimed squarely at the high end handling enthusiast. It would be great to hear who is interested, I'll report back what I hear on pricing. BTW, just want to mention that I have no interest in being a middle man the sales aspect. I'm just in it for the love of the SVX, and if everything comes together, then you'll deal directly with AMR Engineering.

EDIT: My memory was a bit faulty. It appears that most models do not include camber adjustment in the top hats, so I removed that from my description above.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.

Last edited by mbtoloczko; 03-12-2010 at 01:42 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:08 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
Re: new coilover opportunity (March, 2010)

Preloaded coilovers would be pretty fantastic.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:08 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

chalk me up as very interested...
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 03-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
chalk me up as very interested...
+1 sounds like a good alternative to Koni's
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 03-11-2010, 02:04 PM

Registered SVX

I'm so interested it's not even funny.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:50 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

Mychailo, question for you.. Any idea what the max spring rates are that the Koni's can handle? I remember discussing this with you and people at Koni and something being said about how the Konis being made now can handle significantly higher spring rates than older models. Something in my memory remembers hearing 600ish-lbs.. Any insight?
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 03-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Mychailo,

Long time no post! Call me so we can catch up!

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 03-11-2010, 04:30 PM
sans SVX

Got some excellent news from AMR. The owner said he would do five sets of coilovers for ~$1895 shipped. (Or one set for ~$2600.) Definitely the best and only deal you guys are ever likely to see on true coilovers for the SVX. He said that with their busy schedule, it would take about 12-14 weeks before the first set would be complete. This is a group buy, so you'll need to identify five buyers (or one buyer at ~$2600) willing to pay in advance before contacting AMR. If you guys get that far, I have a spare set of stock struts that I have volunteered to send to him.

Quote:
Mychailo, question for you.. Any idea what the max spring rates are that the Koni's can handle? I remember discussing this with you and people at Koni and something being said about how the Konis being made now can handle significantly higher spring rates than older models. Something in my memory remembers hearing 600ish-lbs.. Any insight?
According to GC, the max spring rate for the Koni inserts is about 450 lbs/in at the front. Don't recall what it is at the rear, but that rate has to be lower than 450 lbs/in for proper handling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Mychailo,

Long time no post! Call me so we can catch up!

-Bill
Currently on my yearly vacation in Thailand with the wife and rug rat. :-) I'll be in touch after I return later this month.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.

Last edited by mbtoloczko; 03-12-2010 at 01:35 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:06 PM

Can we get more specs on these?
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1957 CJ-5
Old 03-12-2010, 12:58 AM
sans SVX

Quote:
Can we get more specs on these?
Their website is:

http://www.amrengineering.com/

There aren't too many details on the website, but as I mentioned before:

- Single adjustable damping (rebound)
- Preload adjustable
- Ride height adjustable (separate from preload)
- Spherical joint top hats

I think its up to you guys what spring rate you want. Let me know what additional info you want, and I'll ask AMR.

Visit my locker

Last edited by mbtoloczko; 03-12-2010 at 01:43 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:47 AM

I am definitly interested in these. $1900 bucks is only a little more than the gc/koni setup would cost. Do we need to give money up front or when they are done? And if one of these breaks would they be willing to make replacements?
Old 03-13-2010, 04:40 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACOBBOCAJ View Post
I am definitly interested in these. $1900 bucks is only a little more than the gc/koni setup would cost. Do we need to give money up front or when they are done? And if one of these breaks would they be willing to make replacements?
I'm sure that money will be required up front. The coilovers are fully rebuildable. The majority of the extra expense in creating a new coilover is in the upfront design work. After that, machining parts is pretty much just a matter of inputing the cutting program into the CNC. They back their products fully, and as long as they are in business, replacement parts will be available.

Visit my locker

Old 03-14-2010, 08:58 AM

so if we are ready to buy then what? and do you think they will continue to produce these? and slotted camber adjustment are definitly a want! maybe someone should start one of those fancy list.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:09 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

Nice to see that you are back. Are you still doing springs?
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 03-14-2010, 10:13 AM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Nice to see that you are back. Are you still doing springs?
Good to see many of the usual suspects are still here and active. I stopped doing springs quite a while ago. No time and too much difficulty with getting the supplier to come through with product in a consistent time frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACOBBOCAJ View Post
so if we are ready to buy then what? and do you think they will continue to produce these? and slotted camber adjustment are definitly a want! maybe someone should start one of those fancy list.
As mentioned in one of my prior posts, there's are at least a couple ways this can go. Either one person can buy a set at ~$2600/set, or you guys can defray the initial costs with a group buy. I was told that for five sets, the cost would be ~$1900/set. If the number of willing buyers went up to 10, then the price per set would go down a bit further. Whichever way it goes, expect to have to pay in advance and wait 12-14 weeks for the coilovers. I'll scribble down two lists here:

INITIAL OPTION 1: One person buys one set at ~$2600/set.
1)

**OR**

INITIAL OPTION 2: Five people buy a set each at ~$1900/set.
1)
2)
3)
4)
5)

Whenever one of these lists is complete, someone give AMR Engineering a call to get the ball rolling.

Visit my locker

Last edited by mbtoloczko; 03-14-2010 at 10:17 AM.