Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-28-2009, 05:22 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Headers are finally done.

I never did a back to back dyno with my headers but I can tell you this...

A stock engined (~120k miles) 6mt w/ mild intake cams, full stebro exhast, cold air intake at sea level on a 70* day made about 170 on a dyno jet at the wheels

My stock engined (200k+ miles) 6mt w/ no modified internals, 33" custom headers, tomyx intake w/ an HKS CAI on a 95* day at sea level made 193 at the wheels.

There are improvements to be made, but in my opinion the manifolds you have had made are only going to help keep you from worrying about replacing them for a long time.

Tom
Old 12-28-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
I never did a back to back dyno with my headers but I can tell you this...

A stock engined (~120k miles) 6mt w/ mild intake cams, full stebro exhast, cold air intake at sea level on a 70* day made about 170 on a dyno jet at the wheels

My stock engined (200k+ miles) 6mt w/ no modified internals, 33" custom headers, tomyx intake w/ an HKS CAI on a 95* day at sea level made 193 at the wheels.

There are improvements to be made, but in my opinion the manifolds you have had made are only going to help keep you from worrying about replacing them for a long time.

Tom
Understood, a decent set up could make 20-25HP and that is a good improvement but to be fair Tom you are known for your knowledge and experience with maintaning and tuning the SVX. Plus you have expressed interests in Supercharged and turbo charged set up not that the car you dyno'd was ever planned to be equipped with those but perhaps more of a "proof of concept" for you? Was the rest of your exhaust dyno'd stock?

I also am to lazy of a driver to go to a manual transmission which I just can't see myself ever doing in anything I drive.

For me it would be similar to your powder coated subframes. It won't make you go any faster but it looks really nice! All I can say is I got what I asked for and what I wanted from it. I just think some of the reaction to this is a bit overblown since I don't claim any improvements or gains but I don't believe I will see any kind of a loss from doing this either. Perhaps I will dyno when all is said and done and yes I plan on a CAI set up as well, I like the sound it gave me in the Legacy and think it will be just as nice or better in the SVX.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:27 PM
Maniac modifier

No it was not stock past the headers.. ful 2.5" true dual with 2 resonators and 4 mufflers. Originally built it for my supercharged engine it was a bit too large for an N/a setup esp on a stock engine

Tom

Last edited by TomsSVX; 12-28-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:40 PM
Maniac modifier

I am working on finishing my latest set....

1 5/8" primaries, the tubes are done, still need to build the bullets and an expansion cone

Tom

Last edited by TomsSVX; 12-28-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:58 PM

Now THAT is a performance set up! Very nice work I bought a Mig to try and fabricate with but haven't taken it out of the box yet. Worried I will be blowing holes or just making crap welds. I don't plan to weld anything at this time for the SVX maybe the Dodge Ram in the near future.

I see you painted the whole block, was that engine block paint or that ceramic coat stuff? Sure looks like a wrinkle finish on the oil pan I always liked that for specific pieces. But watch out you may have a full message box with people hoping you will make them a set!
Old 12-28-2009, 06:58 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

YT,

Boy, are those some ugly looking welds...(j/k!!).

How much drop did you end up going with (flange to underside of lowest pipe)? How tightly are they going to be hugging the floorpan and subframe?

Take it these are going on Dan's car?

Nice work!

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Maniac modifier

They are tig welded. Purged and all. I did not have a good size filler wire and thus where I did use filler wire, they got a little on the messy side. The pics make them look worse

The block is painted (it was too late to powder the block when he decided to make it look nice)

The pan is a wrinkle black powder coat.

Tom
Old 12-28-2009, 07:07 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
They are tig welded. Purged and all. I did not have a good size filler wire and thus where I did use filler wire, they got a little on the messy side. The pics make them look worse

The block is painted (it was too late to powder the block when he decided to make it look nice)

The pan is a wrinkle black powder coat.

Tom
you did see the (j/k = just kidding), right?

I needed to ask about the drop and floorpan/subframe dimensions as I don't have a spare front subframe to hang behind the spare engine on the stand at Sean's and I really have to get moving on fabricating the UL SS headers for Racer X

-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 12-28-2009, 07:18 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
you did see the (j/k = just kidding), right?

I needed to ask about the drop and floorpan/subframe dimensions as I don't have a spare front subframe to hang behind the spare engine on the stand at Sean's and I really have to get moving on fabricating the UL SS headers for Racer X

-Bill
its not that simple to be honest. There is a 5mt bolted to the back on the engine and a 5mt X-member to that and the subframe... Come on up and pick up a spare subframe, I have a couple here

Tom
Old 12-28-2009, 10:42 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
its not that simple to be honest. There is a 5mt bolted to the back on the engine and a 5mt X-member to that and the subframe... Come on up and pick up a spare subframe, I have a couple here

Tom
Sounds like it would be easier to just bring all of my SS pipe sections and my flanges up to your place and cut/tack things together there

-Bill

My Locker
Old 12-29-2009, 05:19 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide View Post
Sounds like it would be easier to just bring all of my SS pipe sections and my flanges up to your place and cut/tack things together there

-Bill
or you could just pick one up along with 100 other bits and pieces and do me a favor

Tom
Old 12-29-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowise View Post
Great so do it for yourself, I am not pushing it, I was sharing it, not good enough for you fine, not worth it to you fine, to each their own. Yes there are plenty of other options out there but unless someone is going to go with a turbo set up or super charger set up there won't be any kind of major gains that you would feel or would be worth it anyway. I am also learning as I go.
Dude, dare to be different.
Spend your $ how you want.
But my ? still stands, why? just to be diff? cuz there is no performance gain. If that's an O2 sensor bung next to flange, you're gonna have problems, it's to close for sensor to work right.
For $750 you should have been able to get full length long tube headers.
I am building my own headers.
What do you mean "there are plenty of other options out there but unless someone is going to go with a turbo set up or super charger set up there won't be any kind of major gains that you would feel or would be worth it anyway." Try more compression, ported heads and long tube headers.
Maybe N20? But the exhaust ports on heads are the choke point not the exhaust manifold. Especially the dog leg port.
If it this was to knock off a couple lbs, why not a smaller/lighter battery or lighter rims? More bang for the buck.
I laught cuz you're all the same."
Old 12-29-2009, 09:51 AM

The passenger side has a tube for emissions, I had them weld that bung on there so everything would fit up and work not an O2 sensor. Remember I said these are SS stock reproductions nothing more nothing less.

There may not be any gains in power but the stocks without the heat shields weighed 16lbs together. These weighed in at 8lbs together. (this should answer the request for the weights). Who says I won't be going with lighter Wheels? Not sure about the battery weights but I plan to go with an Optima not for weight but for their durability and output. Had I decided to go to a smaller battery I would probably get people saying that was stupid it doesn't give you any performance improvement blah blah. You can't win with everything.

As far as my comment on other options I was referring to basically any set up you can think up. I bet your set up that you are doing does not look exactly like Tom's. Maybe you won't be doing true duel exhaust, maybe you will, maybe you want yours longer maybe shorter maybe you put the bend in different locations, smaller tubing, larger tubing etc. I don't care what the product is someone is always going to disagree or say something should be different or that it is not as good as something else.

I don't intend to do NO2 I don't see the point for my set up or type of driving, I don't intend to do any build up of the block from stock (thanks again for the heads Tom). I want a clean build with bolt on improvements (both looks and performance). I am not selling these or looking to convert anyone to this exact set up I shared what I did, the cost, and where I had them made thats it.