How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 07-31-2009, 10:26 AM
I'm the anti-do-gooder

Cash for clunkers...the final installment perhaps

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The White House said Thursday it was reviewing what has turned out to be a wildly popular "cash for clunkers" program amid concerns the $1 billion budget for rebates for new auto purchases may have been exhausted in only a week.

Transportation Department officials called lawmakers' offices earlier Thursday to alert them of plans to suspend the program as early as Friday. But a White House official said later the program had not been suspended and officials there were assessing their options.

"We are working tonight to assess the situation facing what is obviously an incredibly popular program," White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said of the Car Allowance Rebate System. "Auto dealers and consumers should have confidence that all valid CARS transactions that have taken place to date will be honored."

Gibbs said the administration was "evaluating all options" to keep the program funded.

A Transportation Department official said the department was working with Congress and the White House to keep the program going. The administration officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the discussions.

The CARS program offers owners of old cars and trucks $3,500 or $4,500 toward a new, more fuel-efficient vehicle.

Congress last month approved the program to boost auto sales and remove some inefficient cars and trucks from the roads. The program kicked off last Friday and was heavily publicized by car companies and auto dealers

Through late Wednesday, 22,782 vehicles had been purchased through the program and nearly $96 million had been spent. But dealers raised concerns about large backlogs in the processing of the deals in the government system, prompting talk of a possible suspension.

A survey of 2,000 dealers by the National Automobile Dealers Association found about 25,000 deals had not yet been approved by NHTSA, or nearly 13 trades per store. It raised concerns that with about 23,000 dealers taking part in the program, auto dealers may already have surpassed the 250,000 vehicle sales funded by the $1 billion program.

"There's a significant backlog of 'cash for clunkers' deals that make us question how much funding is still available in the program," said Bailey Wood, a spokesman for the dealers association.

Alan Helfman, general manager of River Oaks Chrysler Jeep in Houston, said he was worried that the government wouldn't pay for some of the clunker deals his dealership has signed because they aren't far enough along in the process.

His dealership has done paperwork on about 20 sales under the clunker program, but in some cases the titles haven't been obtained yet or the vehicles aren't yet on his lot.

"There's no doubt I'm going to get hammered on a deal or two," Helfman said.

The clunkers program was set up to boost U.S. auto sales and help struggling automakers through the worst sales slump in more than a quarter-century. Sales for the first half of the year were down 35 percent from the same period in 2008, and analysts are predicting only a modest recovery during the second half of the year.

So far this year, sales are running under an annual rate of 10 million light vehicles, but as recently as 2007, automakers sold more than 16 million cars and light trucks in the United States.

Even before the suspension, some in Congress were seeking more money for the auto sales stimulus. Rep. Candice Miller, R-Mich., wrote in a letter to House leaders on Wednesday requesting additional funding for the program.

"This is simply the most stimulative $1 billion the federal government has spent during the entire economic downturn," Miller said Thursday. "The federal government must come up with more money, immediately, to keep this program going."

Michigan lawmakers planned to meet on Friday to discuss the program.

Brendan Daly, a spokesman for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said they would work with "the congressional sponsors and the administration to quickly review the results of the initiative."

General Motors Co. spokesman Greg Martin said Thursday the automaker hopes "there's a will and way to keep the CARS program going a little bit longer."
Old 07-31-2009, 10:49 AM

Re: Cash for clunkers...the final installment perhaps

Not so fast...

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/31/r...through-today/

Supposedly they are going to try to find more money. As if money even matters anymore.

If I were the government, I would have $9,000,000,000,000,000,000.00, just for the effort of writing the number down in the completely fictitious ledger that says I can spend that much, if I want to.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 08-02-2009, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

And here is the list of eligible vehicles.

We're in there... 1992-1997s

http://www.edmunds.com/cash-for-clun...-vehicles.html

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 08-02-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:40 AM

Registered SVX

I am actually pleased that they ran through the first billion so quickly (a week, as it?) I'd rather not see it extended, but how long can they keep it going if it's costing (us taxpayers, btw) a billion a week? The sooner they put this to rest, the fewer SVX's will be "killed".

Have you read the procedure for "killing" the engine? (They use the euphemism "disablement".) Makes me cry to think they may be doing this to one of our beloved cars just for money. (And not much more than you would get for a trade, in my opinion.)

Here is a link to the "disablement" procedure. Anyone who does this WILLINGLY to their car is MUCH worse (imho) than someone who ACCIDENTALLY totals one.

How will you spend those "thirty pieces of silver"?

1992 Liquid Silver LSL, >230K -- "Silver Bullet" // dimpled/slotted rotors, SS brakes lines, 5000K HID headlights // TRI-TONE paint
Old 08-02-2009, 02:52 PM
I'm the anti-do-gooder

For those of you who can't open a PDF file...

How To Use Sodium Silicate
Engine Disablement Procedures for the CARS Program

Taken from Page 127 in the NHTSA Final Rule

THIS PROCEDURE IS NOT TO BE USED BY THE VEHICLE OWNER

THESE STEPS ARE FOR PARTICPATING CARS DEALERS ONLY

Perform the following procedure to disable the vehicle engine.

1. Obtain solution of 40% sodium silicate/60% water. (The Sodium Silicate (SiO2/Na2O) must have a weight ratio of 3.0 or greater.)

2. Drain engine oil for environmentally appropriate disposal.

3. Install the oil drain plug.

4. Since the procedure is intended to render the engine inoperative, drive or move the vehicle to the desired area for disablement.

5. Pour enough solution in the engine through the oil fill for the oil pump to circulate the solution throughout the engine. Start by adding 2 quarts of the solution, which should be sufficient in most cases.

CAUTION: Wear goggles and gloves. Appropriate protective clothing should be worn to prevent silicate solution from coming into contact with the skin.

6. Replace the oil fill cap.

7. Start the engine.

8. Run engine at approximately 2000 rpm (for safety reasons do not operate at high rpm) until the engine stops. (Typically the engine will operate for 3 to 7 minutes. As the solution starts to affect engine operation, the operator will have to apply more throttle to keep the engine at 2000 rpm.)

9. Allow the engine to cool for at least 1 hour.

10. With the battery at full charge or with auxiliary power to provide the power of a fully charged battery, attempt to start the engine.

11. If the engine will not operate at idle, the procedure is complete.

12. If the engine will operate at idle, repeat steps 7 through 11 until the engine will no longer idle.

13. Attach a label to the engine that legibly states the following:

This engine is from a vehicle that is part of the Car Allowance Rebate System (CARS). It has significant internal damage caused by operating the engine with a sodium silicate solution (liquid glass) instead of oil.
14. File this document in the file for the new vehicle purchase.

I could never do this to ANY running car. People are just sick in the head. And like lady said, it's costing us taxpayers.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Yes, that's a twin turbo S80. This all makes me pretty sick.
2001 Audi S8
Old 08-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

I really don't get how putting more people in debt is a good thing? Sure we'll give you 4500 dollars towards your 15k+ debt your going to accumulate. Not to mention the debt added to the US debt. I just don't see how taking a perfectly good car and trashing it makes sense.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 08-02-2009, 07:51 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post

Those guys in the video look like they would enjoy tying cats into burlap bags and then throwing them into the river to hear them scream.

You can hear the car crying.

1992 Liquid Silver LSL, >230K -- "Silver Bullet" // dimpled/slotted rotors, SS brakes lines, 5000K HID headlights // TRI-TONE paint
Old 08-03-2009, 06:53 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXyGirl Send a message via Yahoo to SVXyGirl
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_eyed_lady View Post
Those guys in the video look like they would enjoy tying cats into burlap bags and then throwing them into the river to hear them scream.
Yes they do. That was disturbing... I read on one of the motorcycle forums that they were thinking about putting motorcycles in the mix. Not to destroy, but you could get money towards a motorcycle rather than a new car.
92 Claret SVX LS-L (180k) 09/91 #5,732
06 Suzuki Boulevard M50 7k
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (70k) Storage/hibernation for now.

Past SVXs:
94 SVX Emerald Pearl FWD (Sold)
96 SVX Bourdeaux LSi (Sold)
92 Pearl SVX LSL "Stay Puft" 5MT (140k) #148 (RIP)
95 Brilliant Red SVX LS (162k) 12/94 #564 "Killer Tomato" (RIP)

Old 08-03-2009, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Let me see if I have this right...

The government gives me $3500 to buy a car which gets more than 3 mpg than the one I have...

If my old car only got 20mpg, I would use 50 gallons of gas for every 1000 miles I drive.
If my new car gets 25 mpg, I use 40 gallons of gas for the same 1000 miles.

Saving 10 gallons of gas every 1000 miles (at say, $3.50/gallon) is $35.00.

Assuming the average annual mileage is 15,000 miles a year, I am saving a whopping $525.00 every year!

But to save this money, I have to go into debt for at least $20,000 for a new car. This car (after the $3,500 allowance), plus the addition of sales tax, registration, etc. is still an $18,000 debt.

$18,000, financed at about 5.5%, is $344.00 per month for 60 months

$344.00 x 12 months = $4128.00 a year that I have to spend to "save" that $525.00. And that doesn't include the cost of the gas I have to put in it.

NEW CAR: $4128.00/year plus $2100.00/year in gas (600 gallons/year at $3.50) = $6288. Divided by 12 months is $524.00 a month to drive the new car.

OLD CAR: $2625.00/year in gas (750 gallons/year at $3.50) divided by 12 months, is $218.00 a month to keep what I have.

Even counting unexpected mintenence on the older car, I am still well ahead financially. Or am I missing something hers and am looking at this all wrong?

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 08-03-2009, 11:01 AM

Registered SVX
Angry Re: Cash for clunkers...the final installment perhaps

Watching this video makes me sick, is like watching an abortion.. S***!!
Old 08-03-2009, 11:10 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
NEW CAR: $4128.00/year plus $2100.00/year in gas (600 gallons/year at $3.50) = $6288. Divided by 12 months is $524.00 a month to drive the new car.

OLD CAR: $2625.00/year in gas (750 gallons/year at $3.50) divided by 12 months, is $218.00 a month to keep what I have.

Even counting unexpected mintenence on the older car, I am still well ahead financially.

I agree with you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_eyed_lady View Post

You can hear the car crying.
Right! I hate this.

Last edited by MadMaxSvx; 08-03-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post

I can't see what is in the pic (I'm at work) but if it is the video I think it is please explain to me how that car is worth less then 3500/4500. I know you deal with these types of cars so tell me what that thing is really worth.

Like I said if it is the car I think it is I would have bought it for 3500 cause that is a damn nice ride.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:07 PM

10 characters.

Last edited by essveeexxee; 10-19-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

so is the first gen legacy turbo, so sad
2 of the best cars subaru ever made

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
And here is the list of eligible vehicles.

We're in there... 1992-1997s

http://www.edmunds.com/cash-for-clun...-vehicles.html

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: