Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 04-17-2008, 06:38 PM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
LOL. Course is highly recommended but not as much as paying attention like a hawk to all the idiots in 2 ton death mobiles that don't see you.
Yeah, when I first started riding 16 years ago, I took the MSF course, problem is I havent rode for the last 13... so I am taking the refresher course this weekend...

I am observant to a fault... so I have that going for me...
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:04 PM
Certified Porschephile

What helmet did you get? I have a KBC Force RR Airborne 2 (WWII Bomber theme) & an AGV X-R2 Valentino Rossi replica. The KBC is a nice helmet, and at $180 very reasonable. The AGV was close to $500, but you can feel the difference in comfort and especially wind noise.

I rode a R 1150 R and it was a neat bike. I'm having a blast on the Aprilia. 0-60 in 3.1, 0-100 in 6.2, and I'm getting 35+ MPG. Cruising at 90+ on the Interstate has never felt so easy. Effortless acceleration.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:38 PM

HJC CL-15 DRACO (MC-5)

http://www.hjchelmets.com/
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)

Old 04-18-2008, 08:44 PM
Certified Porschephile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX View Post
HJC CL-15 DRACO (MC-5)

http://www.hjchelmets.com/
Not bad. My off road helmet is a HJC. When you get the chance, try an Arai, Shoei, or AGV. You might want to step up after you try them.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post
Not bad. My off road helmet is a HJC. When you get the chance, try an Arai, Shoei, or AGV. You might want to step up after you try them.
My stepfather has an Arai, it's more of a budget decision at this point...

Old 04-19-2008, 06:14 AM
Certified Porschephile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX View Post
My stepfather has an Arai, it's more of a budget decision at this point...
I asked that question, and was asked, how much is your head worth? I bought the AGV shortly after. I'm sure my KBC will protect my head just fine, but the fit of the AGV is outstanding. I thought it was to tight, but a fellow sportbike rider fitted me correctly. There should be ZERO play or movement. Shake and roll your head rapidly. If it moves, it's too loose.

What do you wear when you ride? I used to wear a textile jacket, but I was also advised that sweat washes off easier then a skin graft, so I have a heavy leather Alpinestars jacket with armor. I also wear Alpinestars kevlar & leather gloves, and leather boots, everytime. I just need to get dedicated riding pants. ICON makes a 3 layer denium jean with a kevlar liner for only $85.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:07 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
I asked that question, and was asked, how much is your head worth?
Asked by a commission only sales person I'm sure. Fit is more important than virtually anything else. Weight is also a huge importance as the more weight the more likely you're neck will snap. After trying on countless helmets I went with a nice cheap Bell Sprint as it was one of the few to offer a decent winter package. I guess all the pricey helmets are afraid of the cold. Its light, designed properly and has a fit and finish that is better than a co-workers Arai

I hope your new suit is Kangaroo leather, otherwise how much is your body worth?
Old 04-19-2008, 08:36 AM
Certified Porschephile

The higher quality helments are usually lighter, better at sound and wind insolation, and generally, not always, better performing in impact tests. DOT is pass/fail. BSSI and Snell do a better job and any helmet should be higher certified then just DOT. I don't take salesman advice. As for you other witty comments, the head is far more suceptable to blunt force injuries then the torso. Broken bones heal better then broken skulls do. Why haven't you pointed out to Chis how horrible his BMW is because it's a H-2, and not a beloved I-4 like you went on and on about before? Arai is a great helmet, and I looked at a few, as I did with Shoei, but the AGV fit the best.
Old 04-19-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I asked that question, and was asked, how much is your head worth? I bought the AGV shortly after. I'm sure my KBC will protect my head just fine, but the fit of the AGV is outstanding. I thought it was to tight, but a fellow sportbike rider fitted me correctly. There should be ZERO play or movement. Shake and roll your head rapidly. If it moves, it's too loose.

What do you wear when you ride? I used to wear a textile jacket, but I was also advised that sweat washes off easier then a skin graft, so I have a heavy leather Alpinestars jacket with armor. I also wear Alpinestars kevlar & leather gloves, and leather boots, everytime. I just need to get dedicated riding pants. ICON makes a 3 layer denium jean with a kevlar liner for only $85.
Quote:
The higher quality helments are usually lighter, better at sound and wind insolation, and generally, not always, better performing in impact tests. DOT is pass/fail. BSSI and Snell do a better job and any helmet should be higher certified then just DOT. I don't take salesman advice. As for you other witty comments, the head is far more suceptable to blunt force injuries then the torso. Broken bones heal better then broken skulls do. Why haven't you pointed out to Chis how horrible his BMW is because it's a H-2, and not a beloved I-4 like you went on and on about before? Arai is a great helmet, and I looked at a few, as I did with Shoei, but the AGV fit the best.

I know this question well... but after spending about 3 months reading reviews, talking to my stepfather (riding since he was 8 years old) and a salesman at a reputable shop, my decision was the HJC. It fit my odd shaped head the best and got great reviews. I actually leaned towards a pricier helmet and he turned me back to the HJC based on safety and comfort features. My Helmet is SNELL and DOT approved, although there is some controversy in teh SNELL rating.

I have a full Textile Tourmaster suit with kevlar armor in many places (shoulder, elbows, back, hips, knees). Textile has come a long way as of late. I have read of stories where people have fallen at 100+ mph in textile and would have faired no worse than if they were in leather.

If you havent figured it out yet, I am a research nut. I make damn near zero significant purchases without exhausting all means available to me for information.

Dot get me wrong, Arai is a great helmet, and if I could afford to shell aut that much money for a name, I would. But I have the same level of protection, for less money and only a few more ounces.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:12 PM
Certified Porschephile

I have a HJC, so i don't think they are bad, but the more expensive ones do a better job with wind noise. Impact is probably pretty close. Congrats for wearing the gear. I wish everyone kept that in mind.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:10 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
How much is your head worth?

I tested an AGV Kevlar helmet to extremes, and it saved my head.

Well I think it did.
Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Usually lighter and better yes but that isn't always the case. Granted I gave up a little more noise in mine for a winter package but its also a perfect fit for my head with the Bell, the HJC doesn't like my cheak bones but I also looked at the same one that Chris ended up with. As for testing I'm a snell believer and wouldn't buy anything that wasn't snell rated, in fact I prefer one that meets all 3 standards.

I know you're not a salesman advice taker, if you were you wouldn't have an Aprillia (still think you should at least have 3000 on it by now, if riding it is a problem send it down here. Leather does a very poor job at broken bones but good quality cow leather isn't much better at abrasion resistance than a quality textile set and gets quite gamey in the summer traffic (from all the tests I've read resently). The Kangaroo suit was kind of a joke as a good one is the price of a good used sportbike if you've priced 'em lately but definately what I'd want for a track day!

Never said a V or H was horrible, just that I prefer an I-4 or I-2 aircooled for my riding. Just as some prefer to ride buicks dipped in a chrome vate. An Arai may be a great helmet but at least my co-workers has had some issues in the 4 months he's had it with the visor area and sealing. Not something I'd want with a helmet that cost 3x more than my $200 one that weighs within a ounce of his, buffets better and has a winter package. Sure I don't expect it to last more than about 4 years before being a little ragged but by then helmets will be another 2 gens newer.

Than again, what would I know, I plan to do my daily commute on a bike with a lawn mower engine and two mechanically driven drums with fred flintstone stopping power. Today is the first road ride so long as the weather holds!
Old 04-23-2008, 07:49 AM
Certified Porschephile

I had always heard V-Twins were peaky and harsh, but the Aprilia is different. Many magazine articles say it acts more like a I-4 then a V-Twin. It's no maintenance ***** like the Ducati.

The Arai didn't fit me well. The Shoei was nice, but I really liked the scheme on the AGV and it is SO quiet compared to the KBC. I couldn't believe it.

I have a textile jacket, and it is cooler then the leather, but I can't see how it would be better for abrasion resistance. It also doesn't fit well, which is my fault. I bought it like a jacket, so it's too loose. The leather jacket is skin tight.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
II have a textile jacket, and it is cooler then the leather, but I can't see how it would be better for abrasion resistance. It also doesn't fit well, which is my fault. I bought it like a jacket, so it's too loose. The leather jacket is skin tight.
Aprasion resistance is only as good as the threads sewing the clothing together. Cow leather is not a really stong leather but its cheap and plentiful. Textile has come a long way but you need it to fit right.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:02 AM
Certified Porschephile

The jacket I have is also armored and kevlar lined, not just leather. The textile jacket has armor, but feels thinner, and I don't believe it has an inner liner. Sweat washes off easier then a skin graft, so I'll tough it out with the leather one.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: