Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-30-2007, 10:31 AM
replacing something or another

Send a message via MSN to kis86
Door doesn't want to shut

It's not a huge problem, but my driver side door has to be shut pretty hard now in order to get it actually shut. Otherwise it doesn't go completely in.

Before anyone says anything...no, I don't lean or hang on my door. It was just a problem that gradually got worse!

Any ideas on how I can fix this?

Last edited by kis86; 08-30-2007 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:41 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Is it difficult through the whole range of motion? or just when it latches?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:58 AM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
...doors are a pita...there's a wide range of adjustments that can be made...and some times theres other heavy collision related issues that would als throw the doors off.

Im guessing though, by the way you say gradually, that the door needs to come up a bit to close properly. The fender has to come off to get easy access to the bolts to adjust the door...you may want to conider taking it to a reputable body shop. It would take mabey 3 hours for them to do it...and Im sure they'll be able to point out any other issues that are causing the problem, if there are any (hinges come to mind)
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 08-30-2007, 01:37 PM
replacing something or another

Send a message via MSN to kis86
thanks!

Good deal, so there's adjustment to it. It is just the latching part, like the door is hanging a little too low or something. Thanks for your help!
Old 08-30-2007, 02:23 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
The door could also be kicked in at the top or bottom, making it diffucult to get tht little extra last inch closed.

My best advice....Close the door SLOWLY...and cee what is hitting where first. If the door hits the striker over or under the slot, then the door needs to cme up / down. If the rubber gasket for the top glass hits the roof first, the door needs to be kicked out, and if the bottom of the door hits first, it needs to be kicked in. It could be a combination of a few of theese, so look closely
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 08-30-2007, 03:37 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
My guess would be the hinge pins or bushings. SVX doors are quite heavy, not unlike 80's F-cars (Camaro/Firebird). Over time the door's own weight will cause it to sag. Do you have to "lift" the door to get it to close? That's hinge pins/bushings.
I agree that you need to look over the door jamb while closing the door. Also you can look at the jamb with it open, and see if the paint is worn away in any one specific place. This will indicate a "tight spot".
Another culprit could be the Nylon bushing on the latch pin itself. If it's worn away that will make the latch difficult to operate. Is the door difficult to unlatch, compared to the passenger side? If so, that could indicate that the latch itself is getting "sticky". A dab of good grease in the "bearclaw" will smooth that up.
Mind you I have zero experince with SVX specific problems, but I've owned several old cars & these are the most likely areas to look.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.