How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-06-2002, 08:30 AM
gcookaustin

Too much transmission fluid?

What happens if you have too much transmission fluid in the car? I would think nothing since the only thing between the transmission and the outside is that dipstick tube with a little o-ring seal, but I don't know. The reason why I am asking is because it doesn't matter if I check the level when the car is warm or after it has been sitting all night; there is always fluid all over the bottom of the dipstick (from the tube I guess) so I can't check it. I added two quarts because I know that I'm at least leaking a little bit from the hoses (supposed to be replaced by the filiter recall but was never put on). It at least seems to shift slightly better now.
Old 05-06-2002, 08:52 AM
Boone

Re: Too much tranny oil

Overfilling can't be good, otherwise the tranny gods wouldn't have created a dipstick. I would drain some until it reaches the proper level. See your owners manual. B.
Old 05-06-2002, 09:48 AM
gcookaustin

Well, I did what the manual said and it doesn't matter if it's hot or cold there is no way to check it without all that excess fluid on the stick. It was like that before I added fluid too. I wish they would just put a plug or something on the side so that you can't fill it too much, or something.
If I leave the dipstick out for a while, will the excess in the tube drain down?
Old 05-06-2002, 09:57 AM
Boone

Hmmm.. I would drain out a quart or more from a hose into a clean container, drive it for a little while and check it per the manual. Mebbe clean the dipstick with detergent and dry it. I hope you are using spec Dextron 3 or 4, it's usually easy to read. B.
Old 05-06-2002, 10:54 AM
gcookaustin

I added the Dexron 3 to the same 'ol transmission fluid that's been in there for ten years. If my filter kit will ever get delivered to the dealership I'll try checking it again after replacing those hoses (some will drain out anyway). I must have checked it like ten times already. Thanks for the advice
Old 05-06-2002, 12:08 PM

To much not a good thing

Having too much fluid in the tranny will cause it to churn and airate. Once the fluid become airated the tranny will slip becuase the fluid will become compressable. NOT RECOMMENDED!
Old 05-06-2002, 12:21 PM
gcookaustin

Hmm. gcookaustin will let some out then.
Old 05-06-2002, 01:32 PM
Boone

Geez, Gcook.. get that old stuff outta there and do it right...