How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-22-2006, 06:53 PM
#073 of 301

Parts/Labor cost. Acceptable?

Auto Gallery (local Subaru guys) have come up with the following fix-it costs to some of my major problems:

Valve Lash Adjuster: part - $50, labor - $490
Right front axle: part $170, labor - $98
Rad: part $800, labor $98
Steering rack is leaking: part $1996, labor $295

Well, I'll be doing the valve lash adjuster to finally get rid of the ticking, and the axle (previously diagnosed by 3 other shops as catastrophic exngine-pull-necessary multi-thousand repair). But I can't do the others, as they are too pricey and there are options compared to new OEM. He is looking into the knock sensors for me, and I'll have those done too to get rid of the CEL if necessary.

Are these prices fairly standard? Keep in mind these are in Canadian dollars. $1USD=~$1.12CAN. Also, this does not include tax.
Barcelona Red '93 AE #073 of 301, 168k miles.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:01 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
None of those prices are acceptable in my own opinion - even including converting them to USD.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 08-22-2006, 07:20 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius
None of those prices are acceptable in my own opinion - even including converting them to USD.
-------------------------
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:50 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby
-------------------------
Ummm? I'm lost?
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 08-22-2006, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius
Ummm? I'm lost?
he agrees with the previous post.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:35 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
the radiator labor rate is about 10 times what it should be. Takes like an hour to do a radiator, mabey two if you run into problems.
Hell, for the price youd spend on that alone you can get a good tool set, a huge jack, a few jackstands, and a couple beers for when your done saving money
the axle and rad are drivewayable, the other two are worth considering taking to a mechanic
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 08-22-2006, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dza
Auto Gallery (local Subaru guys) have come up with the following fix-it costs to some of my major problems:

Valve Lash Adjuster: part - $50, labor - $490
Right front axle: part $170, labor - $98
Rad: part $800, labor $98
Steering rack is leaking: part $1996, labor $295

Well, I'll be doing the valve lash adjuster to finally get rid of the ticking, and the axle (previously diagnosed by 3 other shops as catastrophic exngine-pull-necessary multi-thousand repair). But I can't do the others, as they are too pricey and there are options compared to new OEM. He is looking into the knock sensors for me, and I'll have those done too to get rid of the CEL if necessary.

Are these prices fairly standard? Keep in mind these are in Canadian dollars. $1USD=~$1.12CAN. Also, this does not include tax.

These price is way to high. Rebuiding the steering rack is about 600$ and a new subaru rad from the states, including shipping and duty is about 450$.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:31 PM
#073 of 301

I agree with you guys, I thought the rad and the steering rack were way too high so I opted to figure those out on my own. My main concern was the price of the valve lash adjuster (specifically the labor on it), and the axle seems to be cheap enough to justify. Can we agree that those two are the most reasonably priced repairs of the four?

I have had this tick that makes my car EMBARASSING to drive for like 6 months, so I would pay anything at this point to get rid of it. NOW there's the axle knock too. I think this will get me back to where I need to be right now. I will patch my rad crack for now (hairline split in the plastic) then get a PVR rad ASAP. the steering rack will have to wait.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:29 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Don't get any parts from those guys. Subaru of Canada rips us off big time. I've been getting my parts from Auburn Subaru (formerly 1stsubaruparts.com) and to local dealership can't touch their prices even after shipping, duty, taxes. Remember to do your own brokerage so UPS doesn't rip you off too.

Actually, for the axles just get them from Canadian Tire. That's what I've been using on my SVX for years.

You should be able to change the radiator yourself. I've had mine out many times.
Old 08-23-2006, 01:16 PM
#073 of 301

Ya, but I got raped on parts when I ordered from subaruparts.com (USA). By the time you add shipping and BS customs fees it came to exactly the same as Canadian dealer prices.

I guess is depends on which parts are needed.