Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-13-2005, 11:49 AM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Unhappy Bad experiences for my car in California

Hi all,

Atlast I got my SVX shipped to my place . I did the oil change by draining all the fluids (Engine oil, ATF, Power Steering except motor oil) and changed the oil filters. I have given it for wheel alignment and balancing along with the steering system alignment at SEARS auto. I have seen that one of the bolts for subframe to chasis is missing while giving the car at SEARS and also my steering is 180 degrees off from its normal position (this happened when we swapped the tranny). I have mentioned about these issues to them along with the shaking that i am feeling from steering while driving above 75mph. Finally, the only alignments they made are correcting +0.81 off from driver's side front wheel and -0.74 off from passenger's side rear wheel. They had neither installed the bolt nor corrected the steering, on the top of that now my steering is wobbling left and right while driving at normal speeds tooo and for this they have charged me $120 .

Does anyone have a service manual for adjusting power steering? I am tired of driving it like that, can't see the meters on the dashboards properly .

Recently I had some cratches on the passenger side rear quarter panel . This happened when i am driving my car into the garage last weekend to work on it. It was scratched to the garage wall. I want to know how much it would cost me at the bodyshop. I will post some pics to night so that you can get an idea.

thanks,
-Pavan.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:58 PM

Go to your local subaru dealer and buy the bolt. At most it will cost $10...put it on yourself and than take it back to sears and demand that they do the alignment over at no cost to you or youre filing a report with the BBB...leaving the steering wheel 180 degrees off during an alignment is ridiculous...I have taken cars back when they left the steering wheel barely off center.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:49 PM
Dont Drink and Drift

I second triumph... demand they fix it... thats ridiculous. Makes no sense to spend that money and the car get worse than before they touched it.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:30 PM

Here are the pics..

Starting with the scratch.

the scratch on the hood made by drunk students..

position of the steering when the wheels are straight.

I have asked the guy in SEARS abt the steering and he told tht "if the alignment is within adjusting the nuts and bolts, we can do that. But if the actual system is installed incorrectly we can't do anything". He told this only when I went there to pick up my car and pay the amount. I even thought that what the hell did they do the alignment without having the subframe bolt. On this he told that they wont cary any bolts and if I can take one to them by buying from any other store, they can fix it.

Coming to the pics, depending upon the scratch, what is the best possible solution for it?

coming to bolt, I did inuire abt it in the local Marin Subaru and they are not having it in stock and they have placed an order for it.

thanks,
-Pavan

Last edited by pavanbabut; 12-13-2005 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:00 PM
<<<Alcyone

I don't think Sears' liabilty insurance will allow them to remove and reinstall the steering wheel. I think that's what will need to be done to turn your steering wheel 180 degrees.

Pentiums - Melt in your PC, not in your hand!

Project - '92 Claret - Purchased May '06, 99,XXX Miles. Includes two bad engines and one bad tranny, cracked windshield, otherwise mostly complete.

His - '92 Ebony Pearl - Purchased Dec '05, 134,687 Miles. Parked, TC Seal(?) is leaking.Daily driver - 140,500 and climbing.
Hers - '92 Teal - Purchased Aug '05, 129,050 Miles. Daily driver - 160,000 and climbing.
Mods:
PWR Radiator!
Problems:
Antenna doesn't work - Bought a 'new' one - Too cold to install . . . OK, it's warmer but I have other projects too!
Ticking from front of engine, passenger side - Stuck lifter?
Old 12-13-2005, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intelisevil
I don't think Sears' liabilty insurance will allow them to remove and reinstall the steering wheel. I think that's what will need to be done to turn your steering wheel 180 degrees.
Tht's why I have asked for a service manual if anyone is having it.

-Pavan
Old 12-13-2005, 09:58 PM
<<<Alcyone

I remember someone posting a How-To for swapping to a WRX steering wheel. Look for that, it should have all the info you'll need.

Good Luck,
Dan
Old 12-14-2005, 09:36 AM
Old Timer (age that is)

Send a message via Yahoo to lhopp77
Registered SVX
Damage?

How did you manage to hit the garage---did it move??

Lee
96 SVX LSi Red
92 SVX LS Pearl (Parts)
01 F150 4X4 Red
(+6 with other members of the family)

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Old 12-14-2005, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhopp77
How did you manage to hit the garage---did it move??

Lee
Hehe . It's not like that. Actually the garage is not having a straight raod before, rather it is just besides the road in the condos complex, so i have to turn it to enter into the garage. i have parked my brother-in-law's svx first and then I was takin mine in, since this is the first time I am takin my car into a garage, I didn't think that it wont enter freely with the turn i made. Tht's it the bad thing happened, luckily i noticed it soon and reversed it as soon as possible. . It's just my stupidity, damn me .

-pavan

Last edited by pavanbabut; 12-14-2005 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:19 PM
Who watches the watchmen?

Removing the steering wheel is pretty easy if you have the right tools.
1. make sure your wheels are facing straight!
2. disconnect the battery. You don't want an airbag blowing up.
3. remove the plastic covers behind the steering wheel.
4. Remove the torx security bolts. Make sure you use the security version. They have the dimple in the end. Regular torx bits will not work. Can't remember the size.
5. Remove airbag. Disconnect the wiring harnes. Place airbag gentley down where it will not create any static electricity. Don't want the airbag blowing up.
6. Remove giant nut on holding on the steering wheel.
7. Tug on wheel to remove it. Give it a good tug and make sure you don't hit yourself in the face when the wheel finally comes off.
8. Line up arrows hidden under the wheel.
9. Reinstall wheel so it faces straight.
10. Reverse steps 6 thru 1 to finish up.

If you are in the South Bay and need to borrow my torx security bits, let me know.

--Matt
Old 12-14-2005, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique14
Removing the steering wheel is pretty easy if you have the right tools.
1. make sure your wheels are facing straight!
2. disconnect the battery. You don't want an airbag blowing up.
3. remove the plastic covers behind the steering wheel.
4. Remove the torx security bolts. Make sure you use the security version. They have the dimple in the end. Regular torx bits will not work. Can't remember the size.
5. Remove airbag. Disconnect the wiring harnes. Place airbag gentley down where it will not create any static electricity. Don't want the airbag blowing up.
6. Remove giant nut on holding on the steering wheel.
7. Tug on wheel to remove it. Give it a good tug and make sure you don't hit yourself in the face when the wheel finally comes off.
8. Line up arrows hidden under the wheel.
9. Reinstall wheel so it faces straight.
10. Reverse steps 6 thru 1 to finish up.

If you are in the South Bay and need to borrow my torx security bits, let me know.

--Matt

Great, u live in Santa Clara. Last weekend I did my car work in SunnyVale. I maybe coming this weekend too. Will let you know if I am there.

thanks,
-Pavan
Old 12-14-2005, 01:40 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Take it easy Pav , anyway cars are not made to last forever. You seen my accident.. and you know that happiness will eventually cease to exist. Just polish the scratches hoping the white ones will come off, start saving money till next summer and do her a paintjob.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:45 PM

Registered SVX
steering wheel

Hi Pavan,

I'm not understanding how the steering wheel became 180 degrees off when you changed the trans?

Nasty scratch. Get the mechanicals working, and what a big job it is for what seems like 'little details', and then find someone that can detail the body.

Hang in there!
http://www.ClassicSoftTrim.com http://ToyoTires.com/tire/pattern/versado-lx Gillman Subaru of Houston
"QuickChange" http://www.TransGo.com/ http://www.PlanetSVX.com Bontrager Works,

'92 Subaru SVX LS-L Claret ORIGINAL OWNER
'92 LS-L Pearl~ '92 LS Pearl~ '92 LS-L Teal~ '92 LS-L Silver~ '95 LSi Polo~
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Pearl~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54143
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Ebony~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54117
Old 12-14-2005, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedForSpeed
Hi Pavan,

I'm not understanding how the steering wheel became 180 degrees off when you changed the trans?

Nasty scratch. Get the mechanicals working, and what a big job it is for what seems like 'little details', and then find someone that can detail the body.

Hang in there!
Hi Ron,
I am also not sure about it. Actually me and svxfile's brother Mark did that swap. But when I had given it to a transmission shop at first, they had taken apart all the axles, A joints and everything that connects to tranny and front wheels.

-Pavan.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:03 PM
Who watches the watchmen?

Sunnyvale is along way to go for a Sears alignment.

Custom Alignments in Mountain View is the best in the Bay Area. Very pricey at $120 per axel. But they do it right the first time Many of the racers in the area go to them. They just did an alignment on my car other car and they hit my specs perfectly.

there are also a couple of guys in the east bay (Hayward and Castro Valley) that do good work. The guy in Hayward is pretty cheap at under $100 for a full alignment.

I should be around on Sunday off and on. Shoot me a PM if you would like my cell number.

--Matt