Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 09-01-2005, 12:26 PM
Unstoppable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohrds
Personally, I'd want a president that has good relations with the people who control oil production, not a president who chastises them and won't work with them.

Doug
I don't blame Bush for the high gas prices. For that I blame our insane amount of consumption, the millions upon millions of SUVs and trucks driven by people with no real use for them, and Wall Street for treating something that basically is the lifeblood of America as a cash cow and trying to exploit the recent jump in prices as much as they possibly can.

What I DO blame Bush for is not trying to remedy these problems, or at least providing incentive for people to remedy them themselves. Such as putting a much larger chunk of money into finding alternative fuels, giving price incentives on fuel efficient cars and hybrids (and not this extremely limited number bull**** he put in place to say "Look I did something!"), and opening up the strategic reserves temporarily to relieve supply worries so the price stops skyrocketing in the wake of Katrina.

I do agree with you that its good to have someone to have a good handle on the oil buisness since I mentioned above that its more or less the lifeblood of America, but Bush is no such person. He, his friends, and a good chunk of people that propelled him into his various political offices are making money hand over fist on this whole mess. Bush is gonna take as much as he can get, because he has no concerns about reelection anymore and only owes the American public just as much as he feels like giving them so long as he doesn't break the law, which is probably why he's become more invisible lately than previous years. I remember last year he was down helping hand out water in Florida. Where is he this year? Good question.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
-George Carlin
Old 09-01-2005, 12:34 PM
red95svx

I'm going moped shopping tonight!

Seriously though, this gas situation is wacky. Still, there are lots of people right now that have nothing.....no food, no clean water, no shelter, no home to return to.....these people would gladly trade their problems for ours. Count your bessings folks.

Dave
Old 09-01-2005, 03:36 PM
building more AK47's

The problem I have with rising gas prices is I get a raise once a year but gas goes up daily. Also Bush has been asleep at the wheel since he took office along with other politicians. I live in tennessee where state govt has in my opinion has failed miserably. Bush says one thing does another and Im sick of it. I wish I could help the people of this disaster but my income hinders that as I live payday to payday. I have been a hurricane when I lived in Hawaii as a child and we were without power for a month, bags of ice were going for $10 in 1982, I know it sucks for these people and some people take advantage of others such as price gouging and looting. It hurts everyone economically and mentally. Bush is a businessman not a president in my opinion
Old 09-01-2005, 08:38 PM
Siren of the Pleiades

Send a message via AIM to SUBBYRU89
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94svxred
Hey I sent $250.00 to the RED CROSS! There go my front springs! Well let take that back! I found out my wife sent in the money!! Still there go my front springs!!
Thank your wife for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red95svx
Still, there are lots of people right now that have nothing.....no food, no clean water, no shelter, no home to return to.....these people would gladly trade their problems for ours. Count your bessings folks.
Dave
Absolutely!
My uncle Paul lives (lived) in Louisiana (not exactly sure where) but not 1 person in my whole entire family has heard hide nor hair from him. When I pump that $31.00 tank of gas I'm not thinking about politics or what president sucked more...my thoughts are on my family and everyone who has lost everything...some even their lives. People, We b*tch about things that make our life uncomfortable, but just for one day...just one...think of others who have it so much more difficult. Gas prices will fluctuate as usual, but lives will never return to normal.
Devastation sucks!
'89 XT6 Pearl White~JuiceBox (Project)
'92 SVX BoverP~Peej (Down for the moment) 1st Stage II trans installed by AWD,15 & 20 min mods,...
Old 09-01-2005, 08:57 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

yep i donated $50 today at lowes. they matched my donation dollar for dollar. i'll probably be dropping some extra cash here and there as i see fit. must help out our fellow americans if ya know what i mean.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:42 AM
Certified Porschephile

I agree. I would much rather put $50 in the tank of my Pathfinder, then come home to a house full of water and items and memories gone forever. Having everything in your life taken away is the true tragedy here. As for the looters, they should be shot. I see no problem with the National Guard opening up on a crowd of looters. Show me the Constitutional Amendment that allows looting. I'm sure the ACLU would sue anyway.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigershark
I agree. I would much rather put $50 in the tank of my Pathfinder, then come home to a house full of water and items and memories gone forever. Having everything in your life taken away is the true tragedy here. As for the looters, they should be shot. I see no problem with the National Guard opening up on a crowd of looters. Show me the Constitutional Amendment that allows looting. I'm sure the ACLU would sue anyway.
hell, i thought when bush said, 'the private sector should do it's part to help those people' i thought that his plea to the nation was an open invitation for me and a few of my buddies to load up the 4x4, mount a .50 to the bed, haul some cases of water down to N.O. and shoot the armed looters and snipers. i wonder if i could getaway with it by quoting curious george teh monkey.

no seriously, me and a few buddies thought about going down there to use mayhem to quench mayhem. one of us wants to shoot pictures while the rest of us wants to shoot people. considering it's labor day and we get a 3 day weekend, i'm sure we have enough time to get in and out.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:15 AM
SVXtra

Quote:
no seriously, me and a few buddies thought about going down there to use mayhem to quench mayhem. one of us wants to shoot pictures while the rest of us wants to shoot people. considering it's labor day and we get a 3 day weekend, i'm sure we have enough time to get in and out

CNBC reported last night that New Orleans police officers are looting stores to get food and water for themselves and to give to people who are dieing in there arms in some cases; while thousands of others are begging them for help. Have you ever gone three or four days with out water? Have you ever gone five or six days without food? And since Labor Day is approaching and you have three days to kill you think you can go into a city that contains the worst natural disaster this nation has ever experienced and start shooting people? The biggest problem with the National Guard is the majority of them are in Iraq instead of New Orleans. I truly can not believe some of the responses I am reading here. There are several of you here who are truly sad.

Last edited by SVXtra; 09-02-2005 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:35 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
There's a difference between looting and surviving.

Some people may be looting for money, but many are looting to get the food and water they need to survive.

I'm sorry, but given the choice between breaking a few laws or dying...I'd choose breaking a few laws.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 09-02-2005, 11:27 AM
Bipa

Humour in Adversity?
I think this guy might actually be serious

taken yesterday, I believe
Old 09-02-2005, 12:01 PM
Siren of the Pleiades

Send a message via AIM to SUBBYRU89
Watching the news I've seen people robbing stores of TVs, stereos and other non life sustaining objects. It just breaks my heart that there are people that are that ridiculously greedy. I can understand the food, the water or other things that will help the survival rate, but the others...it's just real sad and pathetic.
As for the gas...I'm not running most of the day like I used to. My neighbors and I have a "grocery store car pool". Since I'm not playing taxi I figure I'd prolong my "spring cleaning" for a few and ride my Fuji bike around town (by the time it's all over I'll be able to join Ride of the Roses and actually be able to finish )
'89 XT6 Pearl White~JuiceBox (Project)
'92 SVX BoverP~Peej (Down for the moment) 1st Stage II trans installed by AWD,15 & 20 min mods,...
Old 09-02-2005, 02:15 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubaSteevo
There's a difference between looting and surviving.

Some people may be looting for money, but many are looting to get the food and water they need to survive.

I'm sorry, but given the choice between breaking a few laws or dying...I'd choose breaking a few laws.
I agree. Its the people that are capable of leaving the area by foot that are looting for profit. There are many parts of the city where the water is only knee deep and people can walk to safety. Unfortunatly, many are not and are just having a free for all, selling the food for drugs or money.

As for the people stranded, I don't think anyone here is against stealing food from a closed grocery store for survival, in fact many police and rescue teams are doing just that. At least they aren't charging people for it.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 09-02-2005, 02:26 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
New Orleans is a perfect example of how NOT to run a city/state. The Mayor and Governor should be strung up. They had ample time to set up rescue strategies, prepare stockpiles of food, water, and medicine. They did not. They chose to wait until the last minute and then tell people to evacuate - To tell them they are on their own without help.

Now these same people are blaming the rest of the Country for not jumping in sooner??? The US didn't choose to ignore the last decade of warnings from the Army Core of Engineers about the levies. The US didn't choose to take 70 million dollars allocated for Levey strengthening and repair out of the budget and replace it with tourism ad spending. The US isn't the ones who chose to allow swamp land to be torn up for housing subdivisions, against the warnings from environmental studies by universities and the federal government. The local and state leaders did that.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just sick of the name calling going on in that state. It shows a total lack of leadership on the part of the Mayor and Governor. They have taken a tragedy (That is partially their fault) and turned it into a political soapbox for themselves.

Mark my words you will see clips of this tragedy in some attack ads in the 2008 presidential election.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 09-02-2005, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXtra
CNBC reported last night that New Orleans police officers are looting stores to get food and water for themselves and to give to people who are dieing in there arms in some cases; while thousands of others are begging them for help. Have you ever gone three or four days with out water? Have you ever gone five or six days without food? And since Labor Day is approaching and you have three days to kill you think you can go into a city that contains the worst natural disaster this nation has ever experienced and start shooting people? The biggest problem with the National Guard is the majority of them are in Iraq instead of New Orleans. I truly can not believe some of the responses I am reading here. There are several of you here who are truly sad.
<shrug> Take it however you will. If I do choose to go down to N.O. it's more than what you can or will do. I may not be able to bring many supplies, but some is better than none. Sure if someone starts shooting at me, you damn sure I'm going to shoot back.

No, I have not gone 3-4 days without water.
No, I have not gone 5-6 days without food.
Yes, I can see myself driving down there and shooting people.

Turn that frown upside down pal.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohrds
New Orleans is a perfect example of how NOT to run a city/state. The Mayor and Governor should be strung up. They had ample time to set up rescue strategies, prepare stockpiles of food, water, and medicine. They did not. They chose to wait until the last minute and then tell people to evacuate - To tell them they are on their own without help.

Now these same people are blaming the rest of the Country for not jumping in sooner??? The US didn't choose to ignore the last decade of warnings from the Army Core of Engineers about the levies. The US didn't choose to take 70 million dollars allocated for Levey strengthening and repair out of the budget and replace it with tourism ad spending. The US isn't the ones who chose to allow swamp land to be torn up for housing subdivisions, against the warnings from environmental studies by universities and the federal government. The local and state leaders did that.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just sick of the name calling going on in that state. It shows a total lack of leadership on the part of the Mayor and Governor. They have taken a tragedy (That is partially their fault) and turned it into a political soapbox for themselves.

Mark my words you will see clips of this tragedy in some attack ads in the 2008 presidential election.

Doug
^^werd, i agree with you.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: