Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 08-25-2005, 12:05 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red SVX 92
I absolutely love how the proponents of electric vehicles conveniently ignore how we generate the electricity to power those cars when saying they're better for the environment.
Personally, I get all my power from renewable sources. Granted I pay a bit more but at least I know I'm not contributing to the proliferation of coal fired powerplants designed and built to early 20th century technology since they are now allowed to "refurbish" plants w/o meeting today's standards for clean air.

A hybrid though generates its own power not using the current grid.

If the government really cared about the enviroment instead of making money through emissions testing they'd do away with emissions testing in favor of making all small engines (mowers, atvs, motorcycles, chainsaws) lower their emissions 50%. It would add about $40 to the cost of the devices which is about the average cost of an emission test alone. A 5hp lawn mower emits more polutants being used weekly for 1 hour for 4 months a year than a 1995 midsize sedan does over 12k miles. And remember yiou voted the morons into office.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:07 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets
I disagree. A good friend of mine has a Prius. It has seen the inside of the service department a few times, once because 'the thing has a perfectly good internal combustion engine it refuses to use.'

I'm not sold on hybrids any more. I wish diesels didn't have the bad rep they do in the US - we'd all be getting the same mileage as (or better than) the hybrids, but without the complexity. And before you bring up VW, don't. Give me a break.

Harry, I'd go for the Toyota. A $500 car scares me for a 100mi commute. You know better, though - you've actually seen the cars.

Whatever you decide, the best AAA membership available should be figured into your costs. It varies by state, but usually you can get a package that'll include 75-100mi of towing per incident.

I also worry that this job will only support the car you need to get yourself to and from it.
I agree with you on the Prius. A friend of mine's sister has one and he keeps griping about having to pick her up at the stealerships for 'warranty' work.

As with any older vehicle, they can be made reliable. I'm anal, I'll get whatever that looks even questionable replaced to ensure little downtime which is exactly what I did for my green SVX. I bought that one for a song and didn't care what happened to it, this claret however, I want to baby a little more.

If I decide to take that offer, it would more than compensate for vehicular support. I'm just a cheapo that doesn't want to wear my car down with work miles.

oh yeah and VW's do suck.

Last edited by Noir; 08-25-2005 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Harry I average about 26ish mostly around town in my XT6 fwd on regular fuel in the summer. Better in the winter as I drive more highway then. You should easily be able to atain 30mpg with a 4 cylinder fwd or even a push button 4wd.

A Prius is a dumb idea. If you really want a new car and good gas mileage get a Echo. It would take you about 160k miles just to pay for the difference in gas savings and that would be assuming you don't use the air in the summer which where you are I don't see as an option. In that 160k it is likely that you'll have more expenses with the hybrid than you would a gas engine (i.e. battery replacement or drain over time that would lower your power yield from the batteries).

A hybrid now is nothing more than a "feel good" purchase. It isn't practical, nor is it better for the enviroment in most cases. Might be a different story if you're driving 150k a year in one car.
^^I agree kinda like Chike

26-30 mpg would be acceptable. much better than 17-18 mpg, that's for sure. :P

I don't have a need for a new car. In fact, I probably won't be buying a new car anytime soon. I can't justify the costs for one as well as the depreciation of the vehicle once you drive off the lot. I'd also rather have something that I wouldn't be pissed about if some jackhole (tons of them in Atlanta) decides to smack into my car.

I'll check out that XT in atlanta. Hopefully that XT's a push button 4wd.

good find by the way
Old 08-25-2005, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir
^^I agree kinda like Chike

26-30 mpg would be acceptable. much better than 17-18 mpg, that's for sure. :P

I don't have a need for a new car. In fact, I probably won't be buying a new car anytime soon. I can't justify the costs for one as well as the depreciation of the vehicle once you drive off the lot. I'd also rather have something that I wouldn't be pissed about if some jackhole (tons of them in Atlanta) decides to smack into my car.

I'll check out that XT in atlanta. Hopefully that XT's a push button 4wd.

good find by the way
Its just a fwder but the body looks great. It even has dual airbags according to the description
Old 08-25-2005, 01:04 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Here you go:

Old 08-25-2005, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Its just a fwder but the body looks great. It even has dual airbags according to the description
Actually, I noticed that XT on AutoTrader a few days ago, and if you look closely you can see what looks like a couple of crimps in the sheet metal above the fuel filler door and a buckled area in the quarter panel forward of that, as if it's taken a shot to the backside. But hey, for the price, if it tracks straight and the trunk doesn't leak...

Noticed the "dual airbags," too.

dcb
Old 08-25-2005, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthworm
Here you go:

i got a couple of pics of those when i was vacationing in hong kong. if i wasn't afraid some kungfu master was going to dropkick me in the head from 20 stories up, i'd try to lift that car.
Old 08-25-2005, 02:52 PM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb
Noticed the "dual airbags," too.

dcb
A dual airbag XT

Does it have ABS too?

Dave
Old 08-25-2005, 04:28 PM
Hitchhikin'

Quote:
A hybrid though generates its own power not using the current grid.
I haven't seen a Prius in action, but I was recently told that they still need to be plugged in (which I didn't think to be true) to recharge. I believe it may have been in reference to someone who modified their car, though. They added more batteries in the back, and got 250 mpg. I can see it needing an extra charge there.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red95svx
A dual airbag XT

Does it have ABS too?

Dave

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out how to stuff one into the 6s steering wheel as I type. No ABS on it though. It always amazes me how many online listings have so many more options then the car really does. Is it that hard to check boxes.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:05 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
how many benjamin's is it going to take?

does it run?
We were looking for 900 bones.
Runs great - it's a toyota I'd drive it to Tampa without a worry.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:56 PM
SVX Appeal

People are starting to modify their hybrids by adding more batteries and discouraging the engine from starting up. Apparently the manufacturers aren't very happy about it, but people are doing it anyway of course. In most cases, the people who modify their hybrids never have to add gas. They charge the car every night, but they use no gasoline whatsoever.

It's still silly though. There are plenty of econoboxes out there that get fantastic mileage that usually outweighs any potential advantage that the hybrids may have, and easily outweighs any realistic and practical advantage.

What I would figure in your situation, is that you can get something super-cheap that gets great mileage, get something else that you want that compromises mileage, or just keep driving the SVX. If you get something else that you want, but compromise mileage, I have to wonder what the point is. After all, if saving money isn't the goal, then you can drive the SVX. If saving money is important, then finding a middle-ground car that may cost more and get less-than-great mileage doesn't help your cause. Unless an econobox really turns you on, I don't think there's many appealing cars out there that will save you a substantial amount of money. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but unless you shoot for a cheap car with really excellent mileage, I think it's a wash.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberRoo
People are starting to modify their hybrids by adding more batteries and discouraging the engine from starting up. Apparently the manufacturers aren't very happy about it, but people are doing it anyway of course. In most cases, the people who modify their hybrids never have to add gas. They charge the car every night, but they use no gasoline whatsoever.

It's still silly though. There are plenty of econoboxes out there that get fantastic mileage that usually outweighs any potential advantage that the hybrids may have, and easily outweighs any realistic and practical advantage.

What I would figure in your situation, is that you can get something super-cheap that gets great mileage, get something else that you want that compromises mileage, or just keep driving the SVX. If you get something else that you want, but compromise mileage, I have to wonder what the point is. After all, if saving money isn't the goal, then you can drive the SVX. If saving money is important, then finding a middle-ground car that may cost more and get less-than-great mileage doesn't help your cause. Unless an econobox really turns you on, I don't think there's many appealing cars out there that will save you a substantial amount of money. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but unless you shoot for a cheap car with really excellent mileage, I think it's a wash.
hmm...charging overnight....how much monthly power consumption would be incurred for charging versus gas-o-line?
Old 08-26-2005, 10:29 AM
Hitchhikin'

Quote:
hmm...charging overnight....how much monthly power consumption would be incurred for charging versus gas-o-line?
Even if it was cheaper than gas, the sheer cost of these battery mods would offset any savings in consumption.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red SVX 92
Even if it was cheaper than gas, the sheer cost of these battery mods would offset any savings in consumption.
power prices aren't cheap either.

maybe i'm just a cheapskate.

$50 extra bucks month for charging up your car? maybe more? remember those batteries only go so far....after that, you have to use teh gas-o-line.

i was thinking about putting a natural gas generator to help power mah house when teh power goes out. i'd have to see the calculations to see how much gas i would need to meet my daily power consumption with such generator. someone told me these devices were available

Last edited by Noir; 08-26-2005 at 12:29 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: