Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-26-2005, 11:02 AM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally posted by dcarrb
Probably safe to say that if the bearings on one side are failing, the other side's not far behind.

dcb
Yes. In theory replacing both sides is the way to go. But very few people who come into our shop ever have parts replaced in pairs. 99% of my struts are sold 1 at a time. Most people want to fix what is broken, and nothing else.

Dave
Old 01-26-2005, 02:34 PM
Ciscokid

Quote:
Originally posted by red95svx

99% of my struts are sold 1 at a time. Most people want to fix what is broken, and nothing else.

Dave

Cheap, Ignorant bastages

Is your shop in Webster?? I go through Webster on occasion, I take night classes through Nichols College and at times have to go to the main campus in Dudley.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:47 PM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally posted by Ciscokid

Cheap, Ignorant bastages

Is your shop in Webster?? I go through Webster on occasion, I take night classes through Nichols College and at times have to go to the main campus in Dudley.

Nope. I work in Shrewsbury. I used to work at the dealership in Webster.

I knew some people who went to Nichols.....good school.

Dave
Old 01-27-2005, 06:19 AM

Quote:

Yes. In theory replacing both sides is the way to go. But very few people who come into our shop ever have parts replaced in pairs. 99% of my struts are sold 1 at a time. Most people want to fix what is broken, and nothing else.

Dave
It was only after my FIFTY-FIVE GALLON DRUM HALF-FILLED WITH ROCKS ROLLING DOWN A MOUNTAINSIDE left rear bearings were replaced that I could hear the right rears going bad.

dcb
Old 01-27-2005, 10:26 AM

Exclamation Do the SEARCH function: then do 'em BOTH!

Or, more properly, HAVE someone that has successful previous SVX rear bearings expertise install them. Regreasing properly cleaned bearings and torque values are vital to a long bearing life.

Good luck!
' 87 F250 @ 180K
' 93 ZX-11D @ 29K
' 93 SC400 @ 93K
2001 Valkyrie Interstate @ 6.6K (Brynhild)
Y2K NightHawk 250 @ 1,500 miles
' 88 420SEL II. @ 208K
'85 F150 @ 135K
Old 01-27-2005, 11:24 AM
red95svx

Quote:

It was only after my FIFTY-FIVE GALLON DRUM HALF-FILLED WITH ROCKS ROLLING DOWN A MOUNTAINSIDE left rear bearings were replaced that I could hear the right rears going bad.

dcb

That may be true, but you could have checked the other side while you were at it

I've always been a "replace only what is necessary" kind of guy so I would have waited too

Dave
Old 01-27-2005, 11:41 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

So what exactly happens when a bearing fails? Does the wheel lock up or something? How long can someone go with bad bearings usually? Just curious...no loud roars from the back here

Praying i didnt just jinx myself......

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 01-27-2005, 11:44 AM

From reading here, it seems nobody has cited an instance of seizing, but I wouldn't want to push my luck. Believe me, you'll know when they're failing.

dcb
Old 01-27-2005, 11:49 AM

Quote:

That may be true, but you could have checked the other side while you were at it
Yeah, it was stupid of me, really, because the dealer from whom I bought the car gave me the new LR bearing and seal set after the fact... I should have gotten both sides. That's how I came to have OEM on the left and NAPA on the right.

dcb
Old 01-27-2005, 11:59 AM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally posted by soobiesvx93
So what exactly happens when a bearing fails? Does the wheel lock up or something? How long can someone go with bad bearings usually? Just curious...no loud roars from the back here

No one in my shop has ever seen a bearing that was comletely dead. They get louder and louder and eventually sound horrible but they just don't seem to break apart. So either the bearings are tough as nails, or people are just smart enough to have them replaced when it sounds like a herd of wild lions are chasing them, thus not giving the bearing a chance to call it a day.

Dave
Old 01-27-2005, 01:17 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:

dcb
LOL...that's exactly how mine were but reversed. Thought it was only the right side that was bad. Replaced it to find the noise was still there but from the left side now instead. Shear heaven once both were new.

Johnny

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:22 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
Quote:
From reading here, it seems nobody has cited an instance of seizing, but I wouldn't want to push my luck. Believe me, you'll know when they're failing.

dcb
My father said his father had a bearing seize on him. Locked the wheel right up and caused an accident. While I never really feared my SVX's bearings seizing up, I did have a constant fear of it getting so hot that the grease would catch fire then cause the bearing to seize up after glowing red hot and greaseless. Thankfully that never came to pass (even if it is possible).

Johnny

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:51 PM

When the LR bearing started to go on my then-nearly-new '90 Legacy, the dealer sent a rollback (from over two hours away) to pick it up. Can't say if they were being generous, or if they considered bearing seizure a genuine possibility.

dcb
Old 01-27-2005, 01:58 PM
SVX Appeal

You can actually go surprisingly far with the bearing race turning on the spindle. It's only noisy at low speeds, but if you come to a complete stop it's almost impossible to get rolling again.

It also makes the bearing extra difficult to remove.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:05 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
My 95 model had its first bearing at 70kl, the other side at 100kl. The last was when I was a long way from anywhere. It made enought noise to think it would not last the distance home , you could smell the grease. When I got it out, there was only a small mark on the track of the inside bearing.
Sounded worse than it was. Which is why they don't get to break up. The sound is unbearable.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.