Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 01-27-2005, 07:15 PM
Frequent User

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
Thanks for the recommendations, but since I want to stay in E Stock, I can't replace the springs or endlinks or put in a new bar. Since the car was, however, built before '92, I can put in stainless brake and clutch lines. I'll probably get the clutch line from Twos R Us and the brake lines from...some manufacturer a friend recommended. I can't remember.

Anyway, Koni inserts are getting ordered this week with the tires.

Speaking of tires, while the Azenis are probably nice for the street, I'm putting on R-compounds. I got an extra set of OEM 'triangle' wheels and I'm putting 205 Avon Tech Rs.

The Porterfield pads are also planned.

I was going to get a trailer, but that looks like it's going to cost me close to $500 when all is said and done, so I'm going to rig myself up a roof rack to carry my wheels. Much cheaper. I don't usually have to drive more than 20min for an event.
For any of the SCCA "stock" classes if the car came with a front bar then you can upgrade the bar (larger diameter) or take it off. If there was no bar (some cars don't come with a rear bar) you can't add one. Bushings can be upgraded to polyurethane. You might want to look at the small two wheel trailers on the market - they've got some that are just big enough to fit a tool box and 4 tires on. The thought of 4 tires on the roof of a MR2 scares me
Old 01-27-2005, 10:09 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by newsvx

Mr. Pockets,
How do you like the Avon Tech R's? Have you run them before at autocross? I am thinking about Toyos this season.
Harry
I have never run on the Tech Rs, so I'll let you know once I've done an event or two.

What makes you consider the Toyo?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-27-2005, 10:14 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SVXelerator

For any of the SCCA "stock" classes if the car came with a front bar then you can upgrade the bar (larger diameter) or take it off. If there was no bar (some cars don't come with a rear bar) you can't add one. Bushings can be upgraded to polyurethane. You might want to look at the small two wheel trailers on the market - they've got some that are just big enough to fit a tool box and 4 tires on. The thought of 4 tires on the roof of a MR2 scares me
I'm not sure whether or not I need to replace the front bar. I haven't run on the new tires and I haven't even bought the Konis yet.

The rules on bushings are a little complicated. Anti-roll bar bushings seem to be allowed to be replaced with different materials, but not other suspension bushings. Refer to sections 13.7 and 13.8 in the Solo rulebook.

As for the roof rack, we'll see, I guess. The roof itself doesn't have to support the weight - the rack I bought should be supported by the gutters. I've looked into trailers, but hitches are a little difficult to find - besides that, they add a little weight. The roof rack I plan to be able to remove completely.

Who knows? Maybe I'll find out why nobody else does it, and maybe it'll work perfectly.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 01-28-2005, 06:02 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to newsvx
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

What makes you consider the Toyo?

My son ran them on his SVT Focus (and beat me by two places - he was third and I was fifth, overall) in our past autocross season. He liked them a lot - another fellow drove the same car (my son's) to second place overall, behind a 325 BMW. Plus, they were not all that expensive - about $150 each. I have been running worn out (last season was the second season on them) Kumho Victoracers. I forget what I paid for them two years ago, but it was a similar price, I think.

Harry
1992 SVX LSL, #1215
1997 SVX LSi, #370
"I live with fear every day. Sometimes she lets me go racing."
"Getting Older and Slower"
Locker: http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?newsvx
Old 01-28-2005, 06:51 AM

Registered SVX
This was the opinion I got on the MR2 autocross forum, from an experienced autocrosser:

V710>Hoosier>Avon>Victoracer>RA-1>Ecsta V700>A032R

Nobody disagreed with him, and I've never seen anybody use the Toyos. They actually have a much higher UTQG rating than any of the R-compound tires. The RA-1 is rated 100, whereas the R-compounds are 40-50. Are they cheap?

Edit: Actually, I just looked, and they are pretty cheap. But honestly, for $10 a tire more (in the MR2's size), I'd just get Victos. They'll still probably last one to two seasons (depending on your driving, tune and number of events) and give you way more grip. Of course, the Toyos are probably nearly impossible to flatspot.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 01-28-2005 at 06:57 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: