Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 12-18-2004, 09:39 AM

help this soldier

don't know if this is true. don't know if it is right... but if you want to help, sign

Lt. Colin Cremin of the 1st Armored Division. His CO is in deep **** right now for killing a critically wounded Shiite cleric on the battle field, hours away from proper medical care . Apparently they fired upon a vehicle while on patrol with 2 persons inside. Upon inspecting the occupants they saw that one of the men (Muqtada al-Sadr) had half of his skull blown off and his brains hanging out of his head, the man was in agony. Capt. Maynulet (a 29 year old man from Chicago) pulled his side arm and killed al-Sadr with a single shot to the head. He is being court-martialed for his actions, apparently the whole incident was caught via satellite.

Here is a link to the petition, please sign if you like, it may be of some help.

http://www.petitiononline.com/as125/petition.html

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:39 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Your summary gets a couple of the facts wrong, according to the 'petition.' If a US soldier killed al-Sadr in May, then how did he cause such a ruckus this summer and fall? The petition states that Maynulet killed al-Sadr's driver, not al-Sadr himself.

That, and apparently the incident was caught on film by a surveillance drone (UAV), not a satellite. If we had satellites that could film something in that kind of detail, we wouldn't be displaying the footage in a court-martial hearing.

Edit: That, and apparently the guy already got three years:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in659673.shtml

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 12-18-2004 at 11:41 AM.
Old 12-18-2004, 12:07 PM

thanks pockets

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 12-18-2004, 01:02 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
No problem. Sorry if that came across a little harsh. I immediately treat anything that comes via intarweb with skepticism.

And, while I sympathize with the soldier in question, the decision he made was a very delicate one. It was so delicate, in my opinion, that being halfway across the world I don't think I can form an opinion on it. I was not there, so I can't judge whether he did the right thing or not.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 12-18-2004 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:01 PM

i just don't think they are the same people, the names are different

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
Old 12-21-2004, 01:28 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Here is the article on Rogelio Maynulet. He will be court-martialed.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,140735,00.html

Mercy killing is such a tough subject. Do you stand there and hold a bandage on their head while they die slowly and painfully? Do you waste valuable medical supplies on someone who has a zero percent chance of recovery? Do you provide them immediate relief through a mercy killing?

Tough questions that no one wants to hear answers to.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 12-21-2004, 03:18 PM
OrthopodSvx

This happens in the real world every day. I cant tell you how many times trauma patients have come into the ER with fractures that get repaired regardless of their probability of survival. You just have to do everything you can for the person while they are alive. Last weekend there was a man who came to surgery completely eviscerated from a car wreck. Odds of survival were 100-1 maybe even worse. Honestly I thought he would die on the table. Regardless, we did everything in our power to restore some mobility to his fractured pelvis, arm(s), and femur. Miraculously he is still alive. If every one did the easy thing and facilitated a persons demise there would be no opportunity for miracles to occur. Its just not a human's position to play God.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:52 PM

i know that feeling. we had a MVA with entrapment a few weeks ago...the guy had multiple fx to the head and chest...he had his brain matter hanging out... and he was still alive when we got there. we still tried like we were going to pull someone alive out. he died a few minutes after we got there. we didn't even get the tools onto the car before the medics pronounced. i've seen a 5 day old get CPR for an hour and a half. there was no chance there, but they still tried. the doctor wouldn't give up. i don't think the same situation rests here. these people actually had a cold day in hell's chance...the people in these situations didn't even have that

if i was in that bad of shape and in pain with no chance of medical attention i would like someone to do the same for me. heck, if i lost the use of my body, i wouldn't want to live either, but that is personal preference. these soldiers made a judgement call. and until you are put into that situation, you can't judge. i don't think these soldiers should be punished. i think they did the right thing. but alas, i am not the judge

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
Old 12-21-2004, 06:12 PM
OrthopodSvx

Kelli, I agree with you. There is really no acceptable comparison between a fully stocked hospital and a battle field. I know that I personally could never take a patient's life. There are always ways to ease one's suffering and let the natural course of life unfold. I see you are pursuing a degree in nursing; which service interests you the most? (say Orthopedic Surgery!)
Old 12-22-2004, 11:45 AM

flight nurse...rape nurse...or ME

emergency nursing

what other ways would you think that the soldiers could have eased this guys pain? i really can't think of any but death

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
Old 12-22-2004, 12:38 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

Full Metal Jacket

scene where the VC sniper was trying to say 'shoot me'. probably the first thing that was taught in their boot camp.

respect my wishes. shoot me.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:51 PM

i'd let you suffer harry!

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: