IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-15-2004, 09:59 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
instrument panel lights

Hi svxer's!

I just bought an SVX and found a bunch of problems. One main problem is that there are a lot of dash lights out, including the clock. My gear selection lights are out, a blinker light, and some push button lights. Fuses are good and electrical diagnostic turned out good. I read from Mike (Green1995SVx) that the bulb for some of the push button switches are #7219 - radio shack.
What about for the gear selection bulb(s)? Is it the same number or is it a bigger bulb?

Also, my factory radio only gets one station (yuck). What could be the problem?.....I'm not an electrical guy, but was thinking of getting a new stereo.

Last, to take apart the instrument panel, is it safe to just disconnect the negative battery terminal or do I have to do something with the SRS airbag system??

Hope to hear from someone.

Thanks,

MSVX95
Old 11-15-2004, 10:49 AM
red95svx

Re: instrument panel lights

Quote:
Originally posted by msvx95

Also, my factory radio only gets one station (yuck). What could be the problem?.....I'm not an electrical guy, but was thinking of getting a new stereo.

You could check the radio grounding strap. It's a short piece of braided wire that is bolted to the passenger side of the muffler. These tend to rot out over time. You could also check your antenna connections. You'll find them by pulling down the carpeting on the drivers side of the center console near the ashtray area. Here you should see two black wires...one for the power antenna, one for the rear window antenna. Make sure both are connected (this is also handy to know when you take out your stock radio...you can't pull out your radio without disconnecting these antenna leads)

Dave

Last edited by red95svx; 11-15-2004 at 10:54 AM.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:42 AM
It's just a phase

Registered SVX
Thanks Dave, I will check these things out when I take apart my console and instrument panel this weekend. Sounds like a simple fix.

Matt
Old 11-16-2004, 07:45 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 11-16-2004, 03:53 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Re: instrument panel lights

Quote:
What about for the gear selection bulb(s)? Is it the same number or is it a bigger bulb?
Depends on which one you're referring to. The one by the shifter (console) is a standard 194 (wedge) as previously stated. If the "D" in the instrument cluster is burned out just swap it with the light for "1" until you can get a replacement.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:26 AM
It's just a phase

Registered SVX
It's really weird, the P,R,N,D,3,2,1 are all out on the instrument panel. Unless, someone took out the bulbs all together. (Head scratcher) I'll find out this weekend when I take it apart.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:59 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
All the other lights are fine?

I would start to wonder about the connection to the tranny being loose...unlikely...but that's where it gets its signal.
Old 11-18-2004, 03:32 AM
It's just a phase

Registered SVX
I have a blinker light out and I think there is also the SRS airbag light out as well.

Is the connection to the transmission easy to get to?
Old 11-18-2004, 04:33 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
I have a blinker light out and I think there is also the SRS airbag light out as well.

Is the connection to the transmission easy to get to?
you should start with taking the dash gauges out and check the bulbs. if nothing wrong, you'd better take it to an electrician, there maybe a short circuit somewhere...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 11-21-2004, 06:58 PM
It's just a phase

Registered SVX
Okay, took panel out and replaced all bulbs that I thought were bad.......I checked continuity on the gear shifter bulbs and they are okay.......So my next step is to check the tranny connection as suggested.

As for the radio.....some (fill in the blank) never had the antenna cables correctly hooked up to the radio....and the "special" subaru harness was not fully connected to the back of the radio........I connected them and re-routed the wires and ta-da the speakers work and the radio now gets more than one station!!

Thanks for the hints and tips everyone...........there are still plenty more things to fix, just need more money to do so.