Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-19-2001, 05:25 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: Re: Remote Blipper

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist

I'm more paranoid than Eddycat.
Joe
Not possible my friend. Just got the rejection letter today, now if they'd only tell you why you were rejected that might help.

Hey! Wanna buy me a ticket over to Ireland, I'd love to look at all the spooky old castles and stuff, and in return I'd help you rebuild your tranny. I could even buy the parts here at the ex-employee discount I get. I wonder if you'd have to buy a ticket for eddy too, I ain't goin' nowhere without my eddycat. Oh, yeah, might want to include the wife in there somewhere, her family hails from Ireland. I think she said that before the last name got *americanized* it was McGarvin.
Old 04-19-2001, 05:29 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Lightbulb Long shot on the tranny issue

Hi Joe.

I replied with the website for the Dismantlers in the UK SVX Yahoo forum...hopefully you have the address now.

This is only an idea and I may be wrong (and please correct me if I am anyone!) but I seem to remember mention being made of similarities between the E-4AT and the tranny's used in other cars especially Nissan Q45's which apparently also suffered from overheating with a warning not to tow!

Anyways, maybe chase up through Nissan Eire who is qualified to do rebuilds on the Q45 tranny - the similarities (as I understand them to be - could be wrong of course, It was from ages ago on Yahoo) may allow someone conversant to be able to rebuild yours - or at least have an idea of what they are doing.

Just a thought!

James

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 04-19-2001, 05:36 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: Long shot on the tranny issue

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamsvx

Just a thought!

James
And good thoughts they are too James. The pathfinder and Pickups used a similar version of the Subaru 4EAT transmission. And I'm sure that they must be more available than an orphan like the SVX. That might just be the ticket for him, as far as where to get his trans fixed.

Just for future reference, the 4eat stand for 4 (speed) Electronically Activated Transmission.

However if he can't get it done there, I can have my bags packed in a new yourk minute!
Old 04-19-2001, 05:50 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to paddlesnz
Re: Re: Remote Blipper

Quote:

Mine must be different from the American ones, there is no button on the dash or anything. Only hint of remote capability is, if I try the door latch to make sure the car is locked after using the key, it gives a "bleep" inside. I had suspected this indicated the car was locked or possibly immobilized, is this correct for Japanese cars Paddlesnz??

Joe
On Japanese spec models, you can unlock the doors by programming a code using the drivers door latch, hence the 'bleep' when you try the latch after the door is locked. I'll e mail you the procedure on how to set the code.

paddlesnz
Gunma
JAPAN
Old 04-20-2001, 12:09 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Remote Blipper

Quote:
Originally posted by paddlesnz

On Japanese spec models, you can unlock the doors by programming a code using the drivers door latch, hence the 'bleep' when you try the latch after the door is locked. I'll e mail you the procedure on how to set the code.

paddlesnz
Gunma
JAPAN

WOW!!!

Thanks. If I buy a remote off a Japanese site, can I programme that too?

Joe
Old 04-20-2001, 12:19 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Long shot on the tranny issue

Quote:
Originally posted by eddycat2000

And good thoughts they are too James. The pathfinder and Pickups used a similar version of the Subaru 4EAT transmission. And I'm sure that they must be more available than an orphan like the SVX. That might just be the ticket for him, as far as where to get his trans fixed.

Just for future reference, the 4eat stand for 4 (speed) Electronically Activated Transmission.

However if he can't get it done there, I can have my bags packed in a new yourk minute!
That is a good idea guys, all this flamethrowing is leading to creative thinking. I presume James' Nissan Q45 and a Pathfinder are the same thing, it would have to be 4WD. I'm pretty sure Pathfinders were available here, if they even sold one, they would need to have the technical backup literature at the dealers or distributors.

On a negative note, and James will be aware of this, most Jeeps [that's what we collectively call 4x4's round here] would be bought in manual form for farm work. The main 4x4 to come in auto form is the Range Rover, more to do with cost and owner profile than usability. I will track down some Nissan contacts though and give it a go.

Joe
Old 04-20-2001, 12:35 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Remote Blipper

Quote:

Not possible my friend. Just got the rejection letter today, now if they'd only tell you why you were rejected that might help.

Hey! Wanna buy me a ticket over to Ireland, I'd love to look at all the spooky old castles and stuff, and in return I'd help you rebuild your tranny. I could even buy the parts here at the ex-employee discount I get. I wonder if you'd have to buy a ticket for eddy too, I ain't goin' nowhere without my eddycat. Oh, yeah, might want to include the wife in there somewhere, her family hails from Ireland. I think she said that before the last name got *americanized* it was McGarvin.
You'd be very welcome to come, cept I can't afford your ticket right now, don't forget I'm the founder member, Irish Chapter, Dead Trannies Society.

McGarvin is unusual. Have seen McGarvey and McGavin, but with anglicisation or americanisation, anything is possible.

Bummer on the rejection, they never say why, these days could be giving you ammo to come back at them under various legislations. A possible suggestion: you mentioned maybe some of your references were throwing you under a bus. Think about this. Drink some Wild Turkey 101 and think about it some more. If there is someone in your references you feel at gut level might pull your plug, then maybe your paranoia is right. Include him out of your application next time round, have an excuse ready if you're asked. Might make all the difference.

Joe
Old 04-20-2001, 04:09 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: Re: Re: Re: Remote Blipper

Quote:

If there is someone in your references you feel at gut level might pull your plug, then maybe your paranoia is right. Include him out of your application next time round, have an excuse ready if you're asked. Might make all the difference.

Joe
Herein lies the problem, how do you call your references and ask if they are tossing you under the bus? My wife and sister in-law have told me repeatedly that I should just call and ask...."Ummm, Chuck are you trying to make my life miserable?" I don't think I could do that. I like the people that I have used for references, but they may not feel the same way about me, My wife and I both quit CDA subaru and refused offers of more money to stay just until they could find someone else. One of the references that I didn't use are some people that used to own CDA subaru before they sold it to Chuck, why you ask? Because when they sold the business we were good friends until my wife got into a legal battle with them about unemployment, when she went to work for them at their new business venture and quit after a year or so. So I just figured they'd try toss me under the bus also. Arrrgghhhhh, this is just so damned frustrating. You do realize that you aren't paranoid if they really are trying to get you right.
Old 04-21-2001, 03:24 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to paddlesnz
Re: Re: Re: Re: Remote Blipper

Quote:

WOW!!!

Thanks. If I buy a remote off a Japanese site, can I programme that too?

Joe
Went to the local Subaru dealer this morning and enquired about a buying a new remote.

A new remote has to be ordered from Subaru HO and costs Y18000 (about US$220). The reason it is so expensive is that they will have to make a new remote specifically for your vehicle and to do that they need the Chassis Number, the ID no. on the remote control unit (which the dealer thinks is behind the glovebox) and if you have it, the key no.

According to the dealer there is no other way to program the remote for Japanese spec models.

PS Will send you the info on programming the code to use the drivers door latch once I have double checked it by trying it again on my vehicle.

paddlesnz
Gunma
JAPAN
Old 04-21-2001, 12:57 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re:mote

Quote:

Arrrgghhhhh, this is just so damned frustrating. You do realize that you aren't paranoid if they really are trying to get you right.
On a medically technical level, you might still be paranoid, even if someone {or everyone??} was out to get you.

It would be more accurate to say "Just because you *aren't* paranoid is no guarantee they are not out to get you"

Better in my book to presume they are out to get you as a start or default position. This is how I ride my Honda as a defence against arrogant slobs in SUV's and panel vans. Human nature being what it is, you won't be disappointed too often when they do it to you. And the few times you are wrong can reaffirm your faith in the better side of humanity.

Joe
Old 04-21-2001, 01:03 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Smile Re: mote Blipper

Quote:
Originally posted by paddlesnz

Went to the local Subaru dealer this morning and enquired about a buying a new remote.

A new remote has to be ordered from Subaru HO and costs Y18000 (about US$220). The reason it is so expensive is that they will have to make a new remote specifically for your vehicle and to do that they need the Chassis Number, the ID no. on the remote control unit (which the dealer thinks is behind the glovebox) and if you have it, the key no.

According to the dealer there is no other way to program the remote for Japanese spec models.

PS Will send you the info on programming the code to use the drivers door latch once I have double checked it by trying it again on my vehicle.

paddlesnz
Gunma
JAPAN
Thanks again for the help and info Paddlesnz { Are you from New Zealand??} I may go for the remote, even at that price, but will hold on ordering for a wee while. I am awaiting a new alarm. If that has a fob that will interact with the central locking, I would not need the expensive OE model.

Joe
Old 04-21-2001, 01:36 PM
tober76b

remote alternatives

instead of getting the OEM remote, why not get an alarm, keyless entry, remote start package?
i did a quick search and found this site:
http://www.commandoalarms.com/
that has a complete package for US$100 or a FM version for US$210.
seems like a lot better deal.
in fact, i'll probably get one myself.
note: the above link is the coolest one i found while searching for a couple minutes.
toby
Old 04-21-2001, 05:57 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Talking Alarming site

That's a good site Toby. The prices are so cheap, you'd wonder if they were effective.

Most of the gear looks fully featured though.

Thanks for the link.

Joe
Old 04-21-2001, 06:03 PM
tober76b

Re: Alarming site

Quote:
That's a good site Toby. The prices are so cheap, you'd wonder if they were effective.

Most of the gear looks fully featured though.

Thanks for the link.

Joe
glad i could help.
those were my thoughts exactly.....
i would search for reviews on their products to get a better picture of their reliability/security/etc.
toby
Old 04-22-2001, 11:57 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
AAARRRGGGHHH! I almost fainted when I read this. That sounds totally rediculous. You can buy a totally good Doberman for that much and just let it sit in your car when you leave it (Did that with my 80 Capri RS Turbo -- only paid 50 bucks for the Doberman though). And, when it's not protecting your car, you've got a great companion. Are you SURE the US spec remote can't be used or retrofitted, Jiminy Crickets -- that's crazy. <rant mode off>
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI