How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2004, 08:22 AM
Formally Capuano

Unhappy Why is my SVX Peeing ATF all over the Garage?

It loses about a cup of ATF every 200 miles, and it's all over the bottom of the car. From the top, everything is dry. I took it to the dealer, and they couldn't tell where the leak was, since it all OVER the place, so I guess I'll have to find it myself.
1.) How do I jack this car up in the front with a floor jack?
2.) Where do I put the jack stands once it's up?
3.) What am I looking for?
4.) Do I have to remove the bottom cover? How?

I'm not completely mechanically challeneged - rebuild the alternator last month, and put it back in with a new belt - but I've never been under this car before & don't want to screw anything up. My old '85 Audi was different - I had no fear with it, since it's not worth anything anyhow. But this SVX is a jewel & I don't want to get in over my head.

Thanks,
Mark

'94 LSi Barcelona Red 158,000 miles
'92 LS-L Dark Teal 47,000 miles
'95 Olds Acheiva 104,000 miles
'85 Audi 4000 135,000 miles
'87 Supra 129,000 miles - 2nd JDM engine
Old 11-04-2004, 11:29 AM
deruvian

If you have a really low floor jack, you can get the car up by the cross member-thingy in the front-center (I believe that it's just behind the oil pan, but don't quote me on that).

My floor jack was too large for that, so this is what works best for me: On each side of the car, just behind the front wheels and just before the rear wheels, is a small metal protrusion under the body paneling that is designed for lifting (the user's manual has a diagram of these points). Use the floor jack to lift the car at these points, and then place a jack stand under the portion of the frame that is visible just inside from the front brake/hub assembly.

As for locating the leak, I can't really help you much... I can tell you that a common leak is the PS return hose. The PS uses ATF as well, and just about every member here has had a leak at one point or another. Check the PS pump to see if its losing fluid, but also be sure to keep an eye on the ATF in the tranny.

The PS return hose is on the passenger side of the engine, just behind the engine block. If you're unsure which one, then just follow the lines until you find the one that returns to the PS pump.

If it is the one that is leaking, odds are that it will be severely cracked or frayed. If it is leaking, replace it ASAP. An SVX without power steering is very difficult to steer.

As for the bottom cover, you probably don't need to remove it to check the PS and other various ATF lines. It is quite simple to remove, though. Just remove the 10mm bolts that hold it up, and voila! I think that there are 8 - 10 bolts holding it up.

And buy yourself a Chiltons manual... About $20 at any auto store.

Last edited by deruvian; 11-04-2004 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:43 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Where is the puddle on the floor in relation to the car?

Do you have to fill the power steering or the tranny?

How far forward is the oil leak noticable?

When I jack from the front I try to lift on the engine crossmember being careful the jack isn't touching the oil pan.

Don't put jack stand on the frame rails. I would recommend using an area near the join between the unibody and the front frame/suspension.

The bottom cover only needs to be removed if there's leaky tranny oil in that area. There's seven 10mm bolts holding it in.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:14 PM
Peach

I pee freely

Capauno,
Get to know this car. My experience has been to spend 50 bucks for a set of drive up ramps, maybe a manual and gawk at the bottom for a while. Possible leaks can be:
(1) Pan gasket on bottom of tranny from previous service

(2) Oil lines "driver side" 2ea. going from tranny to bottom of radiator and or other cooler

(3) Dip stick "o" ring shot

(4) Donut seal at tail stock of tranny where driveline slips in

(5) cracked or damaged torque converter "not likely"

Verify where leaking occurs "either power steering or tranny" with close obsevation of dip stick fluid.

You can do this good luck
Old 11-04-2004, 01:25 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
If your floor jack won't fit you can always get a couple short pieces of 2x6 or 2x8 to raise the car an inch and an inch and a half to make the jack fit, or stack 2 screwed together for 3"
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:25 AM
Formally Capuano

It's the Power Steering!

Now I'm a little clearer on what's leaking...the fluid is coming from the Power steering...the reservoir was WAY low. Couldn't figure it out for a while because I wasn't losing ATF from the Tranny. OK, I'm going to lift this car (Thanks for helping me understand where to position the jack and stands!) and check it out underneath. And yes...I'll probably be staring at it for an hour or so just to get familiar with it. I figure if two mechanics couldn't find the leak it'll take me more than a little while to clean things up and start searching.
Thanks for all your help and advice. I'll have a printout of this thread along with me under the car this weekend!
Mark

Old 11-05-2004, 11:44 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
It's usually one of 2 things:

1. The high pressure line has a pinhole leak
2. The low pressure hose is loose/ready to fall off
Old 11-17-2004, 06:57 AM
Formally Capuano

Found it

It turned out to be the low pressure hose. I did a temporary fix on it, and am waiting for a new one to arrive at the dealer's this week. Thanks for all your help. What was confusing me is that there WAS a small leak in a transmission line, too (found the wet spot on a line) PLUS a little oil seepage. Put the three together and you've got a confusing "soup" on the floor. All's well that end's well. My next project is to install this Stage 1 from ECUTUNE that I just bought.
Mark

Old 11-17-2004, 07:00 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Re: Why is my SVX Peeing ATF all over the Garage?

Quote:
Originally posted by Capuano
It loses about a cup of ATF every 200 miles, and it's all over the bottom of the car. From the top, everything is dry. I took it to the dealer, and they couldn't tell where the leak was, since it all OVER the place, so I guess I'll have to find it myself.
1.) How do I jack this car up in the front with a floor jack?
2.) Where do I put the jack stands once it's up?
3.) What am I looking for?
4.) Do I have to remove the bottom cover? How?

I'm not completely mechanically challeneged - rebuild the alternator last month, and put it back in with a new belt - but I've never been under this car before & don't want to screw anything up. My old '85 Audi was different - I had no fear with it, since it's not worth anything anyhow. But this SVX is a jewel & I don't want to get in over my head.

Thanks,
Mark
first of all, go to a gas station, have your car cleaned from underneath, and head quickly to your mechanic, he will spot directly the place of the leak..

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:26 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
he already found his leaks.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:45 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176
Re: Found it

There might be more leaks...degrease the underside of the vehicle first then look for more leaks. These cars aren't known to be leak free! Check the power steering rack and pinion boots to see if there's a puddle inside!

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally posted by Capuano
It turned out to be the low pressure hose. I did a temporary fix on it, and am waiting for a new one to arrive at the dealer's this week. Thanks for all your help. What was confusing me is that there WAS a small leak in a transmission line, too (found the wet spot on a line) PLUS a little oil seepage. Put the three together and you've got a confusing "soup" on the floor. All's well that end's well. My next project is to install this Stage 1 from ECUTUNE that I just bought.
Mark

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E