Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-13-2004, 09:12 PM
How fast is fast?

Send a message via AIM to Bxsvx
Angry Started on the tranny

Ok so everything is going good so far, im on the last steps to taking the tranny out. To my horrible luck, the exhaust nuts are practically welded together, I put lubrication on it, I was using all my might to loosen those nuts, im only 5'8 but my friend he's 6'5 huge and he couldnt budge it, its surprising that we didnt even strip the nuts, lol. So i'm going to torch it tomorrow and see what happens, but then again it might rain. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 10-13-2004, 09:39 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Gluck man...sorry i couldnt come through today.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 10-13-2004, 09:40 PM

BTW looks like the SVX is sold .....time to start lookin for the impreza.

Old 10-14-2004, 06:41 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by soobiesvx93
BTW looks like the SVX is sold .....time to start lookin for the impreza.
Congratulations... I think.. .
Old 10-14-2004, 08:18 AM

Yea kinda bitter sweet. It will be a sad day for sure but like i said in your other thread knightwulf...i'll be looking for another SVX when i have the cash.

Old 10-14-2004, 12:41 PM
Peach

Re: Started on the tranny

Quote:
Originally posted by Bxsvx
Ok so everything is going good so far, im on the last steps to taking the tranny out. To my horrible luck, the exhaust nuts are practically welded together, I put lubrication on it, I was using all my might to loosen those nuts, im only 5'8 but my friend he's 6'5 huge and he couldnt budge it, its surprising that we didnt even strip the nuts, lol. So i'm going to torch it tomorrow and see what happens, but then again it might rain. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Your post brings back old memories.... exhaust nut/bolts and bolts holding diff flange/driveshaft may have to be removed using burr grinder with cutting discs. It's a beotch now but when your done it's rewarding.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:47 PM
How fast is fast?

Yea, I wish I didnt have to go through this, my hands hurt, my body's aching, I got out 3 nuts out of 4, the last one got stripped. Now I either have to heat it and use a visegrip, or heat it and use the extractors from sears. But I am DEFINITELY buying a air gun!!!!!
Old 10-15-2004, 04:02 PM
Paxton71

Exhaust bolts stuck

Which 4? the headpipe to CATs? or the CATS to the 2nd (merged) CAT?

I just snap the bolts off the 2nd CAT. They are cheap and easy to replace. I'm only 5'7".

The nuts on the head pipes, I bet you could get a nut cracker on them. If not, get out the dremmel and cut a groove. It doesn't have to go all the way through. It'll come off.

Transmission R&R is 4.5 hours by the book rate. The transfer case R&R takes me 5 hours in my garage.

SVX looks good up on jackstands, eh? I love my "BONE" creeper for SVX work. HIGHLY recommend it.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:28 PM
How fast is fast?

Yea, its the one nut from the exhaust manifold to the pipes, theres two per side. My professor said the same thing to get a nutcracker on it, does sears have it? I might also consider using the dremel like u said and cut into it. I wanted to order the gaskets for the exhaust manifold to the pipes, and the nuts and also the 4 bolts and springs and nuts with gasket for the pipes going into the main cap and the guy said 146 for those parts, he said exhaust hardware, to me on the site shouldnt be more than 60 dollars
Old 10-17-2004, 05:47 PM
How fast is fast?

I can't find the part numbers for the studs on the exhaust manifold, and the nuts on the main cat, which connect the the two little convertere pipes to the main cat.

exhaust
Old 10-18-2004, 12:24 AM

exhaust parts

There is VERY often a listing on eBay for an "exhaust gasket kit" under the Subaru SVX catagory.

I think it includes donuts and nuts/bolts/springs etc.

When I last did my tranny I found it AFTER I was finished. It seems like the price was very reasonable, compared to O.E.(Genuine Subaru).

You might check that out as an option.

Also, any GOOD auto parts store(Carquest, NAPA, etc) has the bolts/nuts/springs/donuts/gaskets available thru Dorman, Walker etc., and other aftermarket sources, for a HUGE savings over going O.E.

You may have to "match" the donut to get the correct ID/OD, but they have all the stuff you'll need.

mile-hi-bri
Old 10-28-2004, 03:05 PM
How fast is fast?

Ok I got the tranny out finally after like 3 weeks, I am changing all the seals on the tranny, the front seal and the 2 axle seals, I ripped the new seal because I hit it with the handle portion of the screwdriver and I punctured it. I also took out the rear main seal and I am going to change the orange gasket material on the breather plate next to the rear main seal, my car was definitely leaking from there. I called suby up and he said its around 20 bucks for the tube, thats my local dealer, but the internet suby dealers which give 20-25 percent of said its 40? why is it double? I was installing the rear main seal and I pushed in one side to much, and well that seal is gone, I called up Kent-moore, for the special seal installer tools, they wanted $116.xx for the rear seal installer, $44.xx for the guide, and I forgot how much they wanted for the axle seals. I am definitly loosing allllllllllllllllllot of time and hair and also cash, so far in parts its bin around $ 290 including the tie rods. I also scored the tranny seal area, very little though, and also the rear main seal area. I guess i'm going to use some emery cloth and smooth it down. why meeeeeee?

Last edited by Bxsvx; 10-28-2004 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:51 PM
Peach

hang in there

When installing seals, try hardwood dowels, blocks, etc. Use a gentle circular motion a little at a time..if there's room "usually not" put a flat block of wood, say 3in.by 3in. and using a mallet preferably rubber tap the seal in with the block flush "flat" on the seal. Sometimes veeneer slickem' "vaseline" will help. Best of luck.