Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-26-2004, 04:18 PM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Red face Help needed... Jerking of car...

Hi all,

yesterday i figured it out when i waas goin on interstate..... my car is jerkin heavily and my steering is vibrating like anyother ... this all happens when i apply brakes at speeds higher than 65mph. But, the car is pretty smooth when aplying brakes below that speed. I bought this car very recently... like 1 month back

recent repairs....

1)Replacement of all 4 brakepads

2) replaced front driver side rotor and rear passenger side rotor. The other two rotors are old ones which r resurfaced once.

my mechanis observations...

Due to mismatch of rotors becoz one is old one and the other new one.

but i am worried when it was vibrating like tht whether my wheels may go off.....

any advices, suggestions or observations is appreciated

thanks in advance,
Pavan.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:47 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Its probably those other 2 rotors.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 09-26-2004, 09:02 PM

yeah i am also thinkin tht but want to make sure...so tht it may be due to some other problem....

Can i run my car for a while (like 3-4 months before i replace the old ones.....or will it effect any other parts if i run it like tht for such time.

thanks,
pavan.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:42 PM
Giong back to the beaters...

My vote is for the rotors as well athough I drove my integra hard enough everyday that I think that I warped those rotors in and out of true at least once a week.
89 240sx se red ~165k miles Gone and unknown
89 240sx se Black~185k R.I.P.
85 Toyota pickup ~205k R.I.P.
85 BMW 325e ~ Gone and unknown
85 Ford Mustang getting engine swap now!
05 Colorado ~108k Daily Driver
Old 09-26-2004, 10:09 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

My moms accord is 2 years old and after 1 yr of owning it while applying the brakes firmly at speeds above 60 MPH the brakes would vibrate. Thank God the SVX doesnt do that . My brakes still such though.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 09-27-2004, 09:12 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
Re: Help needed... Jerking of car...

Quote:
Originally posted by pavanbabut

1)Replacement of all 4 brakepads

2) replaced front driver side rotor and rear passenger side rotor. The other two rotors are old ones which r resurfaced once.

Whenever you replace any brake components, always do both sides!! Now that you have a new rotor on one side and an old rotor on the oter, braking forces are going to be greater on the new rotor than the old one. Hard braking could cause the new rotor to grab much harder, making the car pull to that side, or even spinning you out. Get the other rotors replaced ASAP!

http://stickyvinylgraphics.com/
Old 09-27-2004, 09:39 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Help needed... Jerking of car...

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeppelin

Whenever you replace any brake components, always do both sides!! Now that you have a new rotor on one side and an old rotor on the oter, braking forces are going to be greater on the new rotor than the old one. Hard braking could cause the new rotor to grab much harder, making the car pull to that side, or even spinning you out. Get the other rotors replaced ASAP!
I agree with the first part, that both sides should be replaced at the same time, but the second part (that 'braking forces will be higher' on the side you replaced) seems questionable.

What I will say is that 'resurfacing' rotors on the SVX seems like a bad idea. If they warped at the thickness they had already, what makes somebody think that making them thinner is going to help matters?

Personally, I'd replace the other two rotors right now. The unfortunate part is that you've driven the car with the new pads, and I wouldn't advise putting used pads on a new rotor. So when you replace the two rotors you chose not to, I'd also get new pads all the way around.

It sounds like you tried to save a little money, but it's only going to cost you more.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-27-2004, 12:15 PM

Hi thundering02,Zeppelin & Mr. Pockets,

thanks for ur valuable suggestions. Yeah I did want to save some money at tht time... but i think its not too far to follow ur suggestions, since i have done those replacements only 1 month ago and i too didn't used it mroe often. from then hardly i drove 100-150 miles.

the only thing tht i wanted to save money is due to the difference in their costs.
the back one costs about - 31$
the front one costs about - 91$

as i am a graduate student u can have an idea of my financial situation. But, i too agree with your views and try to change the other two also as soon as possible.

I am also having some vibrations fromt he front drivers side wheel when i was turnin to left. but this happens only when i was turning very very slow and dissappears at some considerable speed. any idea why this happens?
is it due to... bad (CV or Axle) or brakes mismatch or due to AWD?

thanks,
Pvan.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:26 PM

Question Bad gas mileage

hi guys,

i need some more suggestions from u. I know SVX are little bit behind in racing for gas mileage, but i like it though. But I am getting some too bad gas mileage. can u tell me something to work on or to add which can improve it to some considerable extent.

thanks,
Pavan
Old 09-27-2004, 01:31 PM
Brock94SVX

Ok advice on any and all brake work, yes replace all componets when in doubt, warping rotors is very common in ALL cars, and have them shaved (all 4 both side), and new pads when needed (try and replace those in pairs at least) most cars go through front pads at a lil less than twice the life of the rear's (most of your stopping power is in on the front pads is why). The reason you feel it and higher speeds, is the wheels and rotors are doing more RPMs at faster speeds, though it should still be noticiable at lower speeds. and just for assurance bleed the break lines make sure you don't have any air in the lines...even the best mechianics space out on this one from time to time...if that doesn't work I would be sacred to find out what it is -lol- and the SVX gas milage rating i think was some where on the low side of 17 and on the high side of maybe 24 (ish). Few gas saving tips

1-tire pressure (read the specs on your tires)
2-replace oil/fuel/air filter
3-plugs and wires ok?
4-motor oil good?
5-do you rev out alot?
6-do you jump on the gas at when you've been stopped?
7-speed alot?
--------------------
most gas is wasted from driving habbits more than the above mentioned , but if half of the maint issues are right, and you are a "aggressive driver" you would be someplace in the 14-18 MPG range. Want more milage...enjoy the car don't abuse it, hard accells cause more wear and more money sooner to fix. So do a mental checklist and see if any of this is happening.

Did I miss something guys?
Old 09-27-2004, 04:57 PM

Hi Brock94SVX,

thanks for ur reply... i would go thru ur list at sometime this weekend and let u know if there is something wrong with them.

Pavan.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:50 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
What is your current mileage?

Another option to help improve mileage is replacing the O2 sensors. (if they're old)
Old 09-28-2004, 03:42 PM

Hi earthworm,

My current mileage is 75k and i think i am getting around 14-16mpg of gas mileage.

Pavan.
Old 09-28-2004, 05:34 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by pavanbabut
I am also having some vibrations fromt he front drivers side wheel when i was turnin to left. but this happens only when i was turning very very slow and dissappears at some considerable speed. any idea why this happens?
is it due to... bad (CV or Axle) or brakes mismatch or due to AWD?
What is the vibration like? Is it something you can hear, like a 'clunk-clunk-clunk,' or is it a shake you feel through the steering wheel?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 09-28-2004, 05:44 PM

Hi Mr.Pockets,

it is the second one... from the steering wheel...

Pavan.