How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 09-01-2004, 01:10 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Hey Shadow... i know you like GM... and I was going to bring up the "how you take care of the car effects the reliability more so than anything else". put the data is still there... and while GM is at the top of the list for American cars.. its still under quite a few import brands... i'm talking about the "problems per 100" data... GM, then Chrysler, then Ford.. but they are still so far behind toyota, honda, hyundai, lexus... the list goes on, and includes subaru.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 09-01-2004, 01:42 PM

blame this on the johns
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:52 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally posted by drivemusicnow...GM, then Chrysler, then Ford.. but they are still so far behind toyota, honda, hyundai, lexus... the list goes on, and includes subaru.
Wow you probably should check your sources again. "So far behind"?! Depending on how you look at it, they're not even behind. At this time, the only two cars in GM's lineup that don't currently have a 5-star J.D. power rating are the sunfire and cavalier - and that's being taken care of literally as we speak. As for trucks, GM's trucks are currently the most reliable fleet out there according to just about all the important sources. I should note however that the only real competition in that category is ford and dodge, because no one else has enough of a line to compare fairly.

My favorite test though is the used car lot test. Go to a certified used car lot (one that is affiliated with a new car dealer). Look at the trucks on the used lot...if you are at a Ford dealer I bet you will see mostly fords and a couple of dodges...maybe ONE chevy, if it's a dodge lot you'll see alot of dodges, maybe a few fords, however at a chevy lot you will see lots of everything but chevys. Does this mean they are more reliable? Not necessarily. It doens't really "prove" anything. I just find it very interesting that lots of people trade in fords and dodges on chevys, but far fewer trade in chevys on anything but another chevy.

Oh and by the way, you used "Hyundai" in a sentence about good reliability. You should probably avoid that in the future if you want to look like a sane human being.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:02 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Quote:
Originally posted by PA_SVX
I believe there are great ones and lemons in just about all models. However when you have a company (ford) that for the last few years lead ALL maunfactors in recalls and product safety bulletins one can, and does, assume there is a quality problem. ford's problems seem to be mainly with thier cars and car based suv's. Their trucks have faired better. As for the Titan, I know 4 people who have them, and all love them. I love my Pathfinder, one of the highest ranked mid-size suv's according to Consumer Reports, so maybe I'm Nissan biased. But I also loved my Forester, another stellar pick. If I had to buy an "American" truck it would be a Chevy. Personal preference. Of course the Dodge built in Mexico is an "American" for the people in this forum, however the Titan and Tundra, both opening new plants in Texas, and both currently made in the U.S. are foriegn cars. Oh well. To each their own I guess.

This is why I won't buy a Ford with fewer with fewer than 8 lugstuds per wheel and only a few Chevys...
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:58 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Quote:
Originally posted by Shadow248

Wow you probably should check your sources again. "So far behind"?! Depending on how you look at it, they're not even behind. At this time, the only two cars in GM's lineup that don't currently have a 5-star J.D. power rating are the sunfire and cavalier - and that's being taken care of literally as we speak. As for trucks, GM's trucks are currently the most reliable fleet out there according to just about all the important sources. I should note however that the only real competition in that category is ford and dodge, because no one else has enough of a line to compare fairly.

My favorite test though is the used car lot test. Go to a certified used car lot (one that is affiliated with a new car dealer). Look at the trucks on the used lot...if you are at a Ford dealer I bet you will see mostly fords and a couple of dodges...maybe ONE chevy, if it's a dodge lot you'll see alot of dodges, maybe a few fords, however at a chevy lot you will see lots of everything but chevys. Does this mean they are more reliable? Not necessarily. It doens't really "prove" anything. I just find it very interesting that lots of people trade in fords and dodges on chevys, but far fewer trade in chevys on anything but another chevy.

Oh and by the way, you used "Hyundai" in a sentence about good reliability. You should probably avoid that in the future if you want to look like a sane human being.
so you don't comprehend??? PROBLEMS PER 100 CARS... its a NUMBER... they give to BRANDS... this allows brands to be compared against each other in terms of reliability of brands new cars... hyundai is at the top 5 or so in the list.. so obviously you really don't have experience, nor knowledge to be argueing this... Chrysler has been improving significantly, and is now ahead of ford, but all three trail behind every other automaker even volkswagon, which is 4 from last place. Now, cadillac as a seperate brand, ranks number 2 i believe, behind toyota, however as a whole, GM still is behind. Now I'm talking about all the cars, trucks, everything... personally if i was to buy a truck... i'd almost definitly end up with a GM truck.. but you're good experiences in your family with GM, and bad friends experiences with other cars, is by no mean the deciding truth of all things reliability, and stop trying to make it so. and this is all coming from me, who attends a school that used to be called "GMI"

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 09-02-2004, 11:42 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Quote:
Originally posted by drivemusicnow
PROBLEMS PER 100 CARS... its a NUMBER... they give to BRANDS... this allows brands to be compared against each other in terms of reliability of brands new cars... hyundai is at the top 5 or so in the list.. so obviously you really don't have experience, nor knowledge to be argueing this... Chrysler has been improving significantly, and is now ahead of ford, but all three trail behind every other automaker even volkswagon, which is 4 from last place. Now, cadillac as a seperate brand, ranks number 2 i believe, behind toyota, however as a whole, GM still is behind.
Perhaps you could give some proof to back this up? I'm sorry but every bit of information I can find says you are wrong. Last I saw of that list, Cadillac was 4th, Pontiac was 7th, Chevy was 9th, Chrysler was 23rd and Ford was 24th. VW was 32nd. This was out of 42 automakers I believe.

Quote:
Originally posted by drivemusicnow
Now I'm talking about all the cars, trucks, everything... personally if i was to buy a truck... i'd almost definitly end up with a GM truck.. but you're good experiences in your family with GM, and bad friends experiences with other cars, is by no mean the deciding truth of all things reliability, and stop trying to make it so. and this is all coming from me, who attends a school that used to be called "GMI"
I already put my disclaimer on that statement. How are we to decide who's the best? Outside of personal experience, I see no way. I'm not trying to say i'm right because i've had good experience with GM. I'm just saying if i've had this good of luck with them, they are not THAT BAD - and if those around me have had such bad luck with foreign brands, then they are not THAT GOOD.

Stop judging a vehicle by the badge it wears and make the world a better place.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:00 AM
Good morning!

Problems per 100 is really only a showing of production quallity, not durability, because it covers only new cars. The only new car I can really remember is my parents suburban, and I was in fifth grade when they got it. It must have had at least a dozen warante covered problems, but once it was past waranty it was fairly reliable, the main problems were a traney at 70k, the TH400 should have lasted longer than that, but I guess ya get that every once in a while..an engine at 100k, problems with the alternator 2 or 3 times, and power windows that just...suck but those are GM truck power windows. Last I drove it probably 6 months ago it had arround 170k on it. Oh yeah, the stickey throtle that just won't go away but it's not my car...
Old 09-03-2004, 12:16 AM
Good morning!

Re: Re: Re: My effing truck...

Quote:
Originally posted by Chiketkd
P.S. On the bright side, you can probably pick up a new door handle from a junkyard for under $5, as Ford's are so common...

Naw, I got a 5 finger discount instead
Old 09-04-2004, 02:23 PM
FKA....thndrmtn92svx
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to MNYPNNY Send a message via Yahoo to MNYPNNY
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by PA_SVX
The Unimog is German so it will never break. And if it does, you'll have to refinace the house!
Wait.... let me get this straight..... I've already done that for Penny, does this mean I'm going to have to do it again when hubby gets his rig?!?!

'92 LS-L - copper - 190K miles
'94 LS-L - pearlie - 92K miles

*still have '92 parts*
Old 09-04-2004, 07:21 PM
Certified Porschephile

Can't exactly get unimog parts at AutoZone!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: