SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-05-2004, 08:30 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Damn, tripped a code...

... of course, since I've got a 96 it's OBDII... so a little different.

So... any pointers? It's a P0337 error, which according to the OBDII standards is a "Crankshaft Position Sensor 'A' Circuit Low Input".

Okay... English would be good here. The car's running fine, I don't notice anything out of the ordinary while driving her... so anyone any ideas? Crankshaft position sensor going bad? How do I replace it?

Oh, also if it helps, it's apparently tripped this code 4 times today... the first two times about 30 minutes apart, the second two (another trip) about 40 minutes apart.

Sometimes having a CarChip is nice... I get all nice logs of this stuff... but I also get stuff to fret over. <sigh> Somedays you can't win for losing.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:40 PM
red95svx

Plan on changing your cam shaft sensor. I know that a bad crank sensor could cause your engine to stop running without warning, but I'm not sure about a bad cam sensor. It might eventually give you a hard time starting, or it may leave you stranded on the side of the road one day.

Dave
Old 06-05-2004, 09:44 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Fogrgive me for the stupid question, but if he gets a code for a crank position sensor, why would you recommend that he change a cam position sensor?

I don't know that a bad crank sensor would cause the engine to stop running immediately - especially since there are two of them, and he has a fault code for only one.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-05-2004, 09:49 PM
red95svx

Sorry, that was a typo.

The car needs both senors to run correctly. I never said it would stop running, just that it might. I've seen it happen.

Just because a system has two senors doesn't mean that it can run on one. The second sensor is not a backup.

Dave

Last edited by red95svx; 06-05-2004 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-06-2004, 01:08 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by red95svx
Just because a system has two senors doesn't mean that it can run on one. The second sensor is not a backup.
Hmm...I wonder. The car is able to 'limp home' even with certain failures, so I wonder what would happen if either (or both) of the crank angle sensors failed. But I think Thumper's car is an example - it's getting an out-of-range reading from the sensor.

I wonder, now, why there are two sensors...they both read off the same wheel...

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 06-06-2004, 05:37 PM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Ugh... sounds like fun... NOT.

So, any pointers on how best to replace this sensor? I guess the main question is that if there's two, which one's which?
Old 06-06-2004, 05:57 PM

Registered SVX
I don't think they're difficult to get to, if I remember correctly. They're both plugged into the upper side of the oil pump. You probably have to remove the alternator to get to it.

As for which one is which, I'll have to look into that...

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 06-07-2004, 12:10 AM
deruvian

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
I don't think they're difficult to get to, if I remember correctly. They're both plugged into the upper side of the oil pump. You probably have to remove the alternator to get to it.

As for which one is which, I'll have to look into that...
You may be able to get to it without removing the alternator... but since unbolting the alternator takes about 10 minutes at the most, that's what I would do.

The two sensors are just underneath the alternator, behind the timing belt cover gasket (not to be confused with inside the timing belt cover). I've never replaced them before, so I don't know exactly what it entails.

Last edited by deruvian; 06-07-2004 at 12:12 AM.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:15 AM
red95svx

There was a discussion about the two crank shaft sensors recently. I think it it was oab-au who said what each sensor was sending to the ECU. Basically the ECU needs to know the position of the crankshaft twice for each revolution. I don't remember exactly why though, but each crank sensor triggered some sort of response from the ECU.

Interesting fact: the SVX actually has one crank shaft sensor and two cam shaft sensors. It uses one of the cam shaft sensors as a crank shaft sensor. Weird!

Dave
Old 06-07-2004, 04:31 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by red95svx
Interesting fact: the SVX actually has one crank shaft sensor and two cam shaft sensors. It uses one of the cam shaft sensors as a crank shaft sensor. Weird!
You're going to have to explain that one. I've seen the two crank angle sensors, and after the above posts, how can you say there's only one???

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 06-07-2004, 07:58 PM
red95svx

In other words, if you went to the dealer to buy these 3 sensors they'd give you two cam shaft sensors, and one crank shaft sensor. One of the cam shaft sensors really is used to sense the camshaft. But the other cam shaft sensor is used as the second crank shaft sensor, near the "real" crank shaft sensor. It's weird, but the part number for the cam shaft sensor is the same for the second crank sensor. So we really have two cam shaft sensors and one crank shaft sensor......it's just that one of the cam sensors is used as a second crank sensor. Strange, eh???

The next time you are working on your car, take a look at both crank sensors....they don't match. But one of your crank sensors will match your cam sensor!

Dave

Last edited by red95svx; 06-07-2004 at 08:03 PM.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:11 PM

Registered SVX
I think whether the part numbers match or not is irrelevant. I'd go by what they're used for. The manual doesn't call one of the crank sensors a cam sensor, does it? If Subaru used the same sensor for the ABS, would you say that we had cam sensors in our hubs?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 06-08-2004, 03:13 PM
red95svx

Quote:
I think whether the part numbers match or not is irrelevant. I'd go by what they're used for. The manual doesn't call one of the crank sensors a cam sensor, does it?

Actually, it does.

Dave
Old 06-08-2004, 03:14 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Talking about parts...

Hey Dave,

If my transfer clutch is broken is this the part that I'll need to replace it: Part # 33123AA150

Thanks!

-Chike

P.S. That part runs $251.24 at Subaruparts.com. What price can you give me? I may need to order this part later in the summer...

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 06-08-2004, 03:21 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

BTW, since we're talking about sensors, is a knock sensor just a glorified microphone?

-Chike
Quote:
If Subaru used the same sensor for the ABS, would you say that we had cam sensors in our hubs?

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)