How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-12-2004, 07:11 AM
JackieBeans

Another AC Question. . .

Sorry all, but this is a slightly different quesiton or issue.

Great - least expensively I went out - bought a conversion kit and a refill container of R134a with a guage on it so I could see if there was any Freon in the system anyway. So - hooked it all up, and the guage read that the system was empty. I hit the button on the 134a refill, and the guage instantly shot up to full, and I heard the compressor kick in [false sense of security set in] (AC was on "hi" and set to 65 degrees F. in the car to keep air flowing). Anyway I hit the button a couple more times, and the guage still read full. Unhooked it - re connected it all with the same result. I guess that is the upside.

Now for the mildly strange part. The air coming from the car began to get cooler - but not cold. Now keep in mind I live in NJ and the temp. at 8:30 this morning was 77 degrees outsdide. So I would have expected colder air. Could the compressor be "going" bad? Could the thermostat be shot? I am at a loss - A/C systems always confulsed the H#!! out of me. Anyone with a similar issue (just cool air)?

Oh, and I seem to be having the vent/AC issue where the air is not coming from the vents either. Hmmm... I did do a search and will check the actuator and levers tonight to see if I can free it up. But any other input would be fantastic.[COLOR=darkblue]
Old 05-12-2004, 05:56 PM

you likely have a couple of issues to work thru.

first, if it was empty, then the original had to leak from somewhere...has this been fixed?

second, even if the leak was fixed, an A/C system needs to have a vacumm applied to draw out moisture.

third, not sure the size of the 134 can you used, but I think the SVX needs around 20 oz.

last, to tell if it's the compressor or some other component, you will need a gauge/gauge set that can handle reading pressures on both the high and low sides.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:06 PM
JackieBeans

Appreciate it.

So I ran the A/C all day as I was driving (92 in NJ today). As the day went on the A/C got colder. In fact by theend of the day it waqs quite cold. Now I don't know why, again - this is an area I know nothing about. Tomorrow is another day, and I am going to get it running right from the get go - so that I can see if it is an isolated incident. But again - Thanks for the input.