How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-27-2004, 09:15 PM
tmaslar

Particles in 92' SVX Tranny Fluid

I recently purchased a 92' SVX with 44,000 miles on it. It is in very good condition. I have purchased an external transmission cooler and filter. I have not yet installed them

I just took a look at the transmission fluid. I see small black non-metallic particles in the fluid. The fluid is possibly somewhat discolored. It is not pink. It really does not smell burnt, but does smell different than new fluid.

I really do not know how to procede from here. I am assuming this is not a good sign. I am guessing that the black particles are either pieces of the oil pump seal or clutch material. Does this mean the tranny is on it's way out? Should I start looking for a replacment? If so I am likely inclined to go the 5 speed route rather than dealing with this automatic problem again in the future. Is it a good idea to stop driving the car. Is it a good idea to go ahead with the flush as planned and install the cooler and filter or is it too late for that? I have read posts in the past that indicate that doing a flush on a tranny with particles in the fluid can actually accelerate transmission failure.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tom
Old 03-27-2004, 10:34 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Tranny

Hi Tom, I was told that one of the problems that the early SVX 4EAT transmissions had was wear on the clutch faces. They used some kind of new material and it sluffed off. This is probably what you are seeing. Remove the transmission oil pan. Replace the filter in the pan. Have the transmission flushed. then install the external filter and cooler . In the '92 radiater there was a screen on the inlet side. Backflush the transmission oil cooler in the radiater to clean out any junk. Check the hoses. They are at least 12 years old and could use replaceing. You might have gotten in under the wire. Take care, BOBB
Old 03-28-2004, 08:29 AM
tmaslar

Thanks Bobb. I will do this. The transmission does seem to be operating normally at this point. I hope I am not too late!

Tom
Old 03-28-2004, 10:45 AM

excellent advice

You might try running the VIN at a Stealership and find out what (if any) records there are as to transmission work done on your car.

There are diagrams in the locker regarding adding an external/additional cooler.

Cleaning and flushing the system, adding/replacing the filter (seems strange that a '92 wouldn't already have had the external filter kit done under warranty?) and fluid certainly can't hurt.

Your tranny may last for 100,000+ miles.
' 87 F250 @ 180K
' 93 ZX-11D @ 29K
' 93 SC400 @ 93K
2001 Valkyrie Interstate @ 6.6K (Brynhild)
Y2K NightHawk 250 @ 1,500 miles
' 88 420SEL II. @ 208K
'85 F150 @ 135K
Old 03-28-2004, 02:11 PM
tmaslar

Storminorman,

I called Subaru of America when I purchased the car. They told me that there were not open recalls or TSB's on the car.

I do have all the records. I bought the car from a close friend of mine who bought it new. The ATF was changed by the dealer in 9/1997 when the car had 31,000 on it. It has been a garage queen since then. It only has 45,000 miles on it now.

I have read elswhere that the external ATF filter TSB did not apply to 92's for some odd reason. Go figure.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 03-29-2004, 10:09 PM
slacker

Re: Ext Filter

Check under your battery and see if there's a round black filter with two hoses connected to it, that's the filter on my 92s.

For the insdie strainer/filter, NAPA filter kit # ATP 18561 contains the strainer/filter, the o-ring and a pan gasket for $25.49. Had I known this I wouldn't have paid the dealer $12.50 for just a pan gasket.

Watch that 1/4" tubing you have to remove (2 #10 bolts), it's full of fluid (when you pull it down) to allow the removal of the strainer/filter.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:49 AM

Re: Re: Ext Filter

Quote:
Originally posted by slacker
Check under your battery and see if there's a round black filter with two hoses connected to it, that's the filter on my 92s.

For the insdie strainer/filter, NAPA filter kit # ATP 18561 contains the strainer/filter, the o-ring and a pan gasket for $25.49. Had I known this I wouldn't have paid the dealer $12.50 for just a pan gasket.

Watch that 1/4" tubing you have to remove (2 #10 bolts), it's full of fluid (when you pull it down) to allow the removal of the strainer/filter.
I'm not going to even say what I paid for a pan gasket. IT was a lot more then 12.50 then again, it was the crappy subaru Dealer.
I only go there if I have to, which after the gasket deal, hmm haven't ordered a thing since.
Hunter can barely Fix a chevy...... If they didn't have such a GOOD svxc meachanic I would NEVER go there.

SVX1999
Old 03-30-2004, 03:38 PM
tmaslar

Slacker,

I traced the ATF lines and looked for the filter when I bought the car. It has never been installed. I will be installing thr Perma-cool kit on wednesday. I am giong to take the car to Level Ten in New Jersey on Friday morning. They are going to check out the Tranny and replace the ATF and filters. Adjust the bands etc.

Tom