Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-25-2003, 11:28 AM

Question Transmission Fluid Change??????

Just wondering how often do you change transmission fluid in the SVX. I am going to install a B & M 70255 transmission cooler rated at 16,000GVW and a B & M external filter. Probably will get the digital temp gauge later.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:29 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

tranny fluid change

Warm up the fluid for at least 15-20 minutes from 1st start of the day.

Raise it up so you can crawl under the door area. You'll see the tranny pan. Maybe 14 inches or so long and black. It'll have a bolt on it for draining it. The dif is in front of it but should be kinda silverish with fins(even if dirty and grease covered).

Drain fluid. I get about 6-7 quarts if I remember but you should kinda keep track so you don't over refill it. I've found that I get more if I have the front wheels on a ramp!

Get a funnel with a real small end to fit into the filler (dipstick for the atf) and fill her up!).

FYI you won't get the capacity out which is like 9.5 quarts or something like that!

Start it up and let it run for 15-20 minutes. Run through each gear and back to park and with the car running check the fluid.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:45 PM

more fluid...

When you are adding your external bits, blow thru the hoses with VERY LOW AIR PRESSURE, say 5 psig. this wil push an additional pint or so out of system.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:07 PM

Thanks

Thanks for all your help. But I am wondering, do you change the fluid every year? Or can you prolong it more than a year, or every 6 months?
Old 06-26-2003, 06:13 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Tranny fluid

The tranny fluid itself really doesn't go bad UNLESS it gets above the flash/fire points. If it does it'll quickly begin to degrade. You could go out for a drive after changing it, get stuck in traffic on a 100 degree day and fry your brand new fluid in an hour. This is why a tranny temp gauge is important. I personally change my fluid 1 a year. In the middle of the summer and every time that the tranny gets over 210 degrees.