How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-21-2003, 12:40 PM
_-DejaVu-_

Sub or amp won't work

Well, for 2 weeks my car has sounded bare.
My sub or amp quit working. I'm not good with stereos at all.
All of the wires are hooked up right, and none are loose.
The only thing I know, is that the power light on my amp works. So, what would be the problem?

*Crying* I WANT MY MUSIC BACK!!!

Deja
Old 05-21-2003, 12:45 PM
_-DejaVu-_

Oppppps
Sorry, posted it in the wrong section.
Oh well
Old 05-21-2003, 01:38 PM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
check for power with a meter, check fuses, ground wire, and REM power on wire. look for 12 V across ground and + and Ground and REM power on with the radio on. most likely its a fuse or loose wire.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:13 PM
Casper Killer

Send a message via AIM to BLKSVX92 Send a message via Yahoo to BLKSVX92
could be that your sub is fried

1992 SVX Build 4/91 SOLD TO gsodonis
2002 Civic Si SOLD
2005 Lancer Evolution VIII TRADED
2008 STi
Old 05-21-2003, 04:45 PM

does the amp drive anything besides the sub? if yes, do the other speakers make music? don't mean to insult, but you know it's kinda like the computer tech asking you to make SURE the computer is plugged into the wall and the power switch is "on".

were there any sound issues before this happened, i.e., the sub making bad noises?

if you have a volt-ohm meter, you should be able to connect across the output wires of the amp and see voltage/current flow with the radio on - if the amp hasn't fried itself. Along these lines, is it possible something shorted out the +/- wires on the amps output side (that will frequently fry the output transistors).

If you put a current limiting resistor inline with battery voltage you should be able to test the sub by direct application of DC voltage and making sure it moves when voltage is applied/removed.

could also be the output of whatever deck you're using - how is it feeding the amp?

asking all this to help define where the problem is at.
Old 05-21-2003, 06:42 PM
_-DejaVu-_

Well, from what I can tell, all of the wires are plugged in right.
Before this, sometimes the wires would come loose(The person who hooked it up for me, rigged the hell out of it) and the sub wouldn't work.
So, when this happend, I thought it was that, again. But the wires are fine.

It's hard to explain, but the wires that connect to the amp don't have connecters on them, so it's just stripped wires, smashed into the holes(Then you screw a screw down on them)
I have no idea. I'm scared to go messing with it, because I don't want to ruin anything.

Deja
Old 05-21-2003, 08:44 PM
Casper Killer

Send a message via AIM to BLKSVX92 Send a message via Yahoo to BLKSVX92
can you take pics and post them?

1992 SVX Build 4/91 SOLD TO gsodonis
2002 Civic Si SOLD
2005 Lancer Evolution VIII TRADED
2008 STi
Old 05-21-2003, 09:44 PM
_-DejaVu-_

Humm Never thought of doing it that way. I forgot my digital cam when I moved I'm not sure when I'll get it either.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:36 PM

What is the amp grounded to? Is that wire secure on the other end? How is it connected to your deck? RCA cables? If so, unplug them and plug somehting else into the amp. For instance a portable CD player and see if you hear anything. Those cables might be bad.

Also, you might try disconnecting the speaker wires, cutting off the stripped part, restripping and reconnecting them.

You may also have blown the low level outputs on your deck or perhaps the outputs on the amp itself. Or even the amp's inputs from the deck.

Mess around a bit to narrow down the problem. You won't hurt anything, but won't solve anything otherwise.

Last edited by DavieGravy; 05-22-2003 at 12:51 AM.
Old 05-22-2003, 06:04 AM
_-DejaVu-_

Quote:
Originally posted by DavieGravy
What is the amp grounded to? Is that wire secure on the other end? How is it connected to your deck? RCA cables? If so, unplug them and plug somehting else into the amp. For instance a portable CD player and see if you hear anything. Those cables might be bad.

Also, you might try disconnecting the speaker wires, cutting off the stripped part, restripping and reconnecting them.

You may also have blown the low level outputs on your deck or perhaps the outputs on the amp itself. Or even the amp's inputs from the deck.

Mess around a bit to narrow down the problem. You won't hurt anything, but won't solve anything otherwise.

Hahahha I thought I would sit here, and wait till someone else figured it out lol. I will have time this weekend, so I can look at it more. And as far as knowing where any of the wires go to, I have no idea I wasn't there when he hooked it up

Deja