How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-05-2001, 01:58 AM
Jedi Member

Thumbs down Power Steering (not O-Ring)

I keep hearing that the O-Ring fix is a "way to solve all your power steering problems." I've read posts that say it will stop the leaks and puddles of PS fluid on your driveway as well as help your PS pump when your car is at low speeds. It also cures jock itch and laziness. Could someone clear this stuff up and possibly submit it to the FAQ? See, my problem is the underassist when at low speeds but I've never seen a puddle of PS fluid except for the dried stuff that always ends up on top of the resevior tank and I can smell it burning under high acceleration. (which has nothing to do with any of the symptoms that showed up in the first 120 posts at the Wahoo! board) I don't ask for help (as in a direct fix) so much as somebody puts in their $.02 because it's really confusing. (yeah, confusing, that's what I want, someone to lift the great cloud of confusion from my smog ridden head)
'01 Legacy Outback, White,
Old 06-05-2001, 09:09 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Okay, Craig. Here's the deal. The O-ring fix is not a "cure all" for your PS pump woes. It is the first thing you try though, because it is the least expensive fix you'll find for an SVX.

Here's what happens: when the O-ring between the pump and the reservoir deteriorates, it creates an occasion for the pump to suck air. It "foams up" the fluid and reduces pressure in your PS system, which gives you those little "shudders" when turning at low speeds as well as that nasty whining or groaning noise you get when turning the wheel.

The reason the fix is suggested as your FIRST line of defense, is because it costs about 3 bucks and less than an hour of your time. If it cures the problem, then, you're good to go and you're happy you didn't have to spend around 500 bucks for a new pump. Cheap, quick and easy.

If that doesn't turn out to be your problem, then, you take the next step and replace the pump. The thing is, over the years, SVX owners have been told they needed to replace their power steering pumps when these symptoms occur, and they really didn't have to.

Understand, also, that you don't have to have puddles in your driveway to need this repair, just the symptoms mentioned above. There may be little or no fluid loss from the deterioration of the o-ring. Under most cases, though, there is a puddle behind the reservoir on top of the engine.

So, if you're having trouble with your PS pump, first, check the hoses for loose clamps, hardness, cracking -- the usual stuff. If all's in order, change the O-ring, your problem may stop there. If it doesn't, then you may need one of two things 1) A new PS pump 2) (and hopefully not) a new steering rack.

Now, have I sufficiently confused you? All this info is based on personal experience. My car displayed the symptoms described when I first bought it. I saw the O-ring fix on the KC site. I went to replace my o-ring and didn't have to -- I had to INSTALL it (there was none). Since then, no shudder, no whine and no fluid puddle on my engine.

So, there you have it. But since I'm not a licensed and certified Subaru Technician, you'll probably just want to forget I even typed this.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 06-05-2001, 09:12 AM
lightning_8669

cures jock itch

Why wasn't I informed of this!? The AC is out on my SVX and there is a cure for jock itch out there and no one told me about it!? And here I thought you guys were my friends. (actually the non-functioning AC hasn't been a problem as it hasn't gotten above 63 F in the Milwaukee area yet this year)

Under assist at slow speeds. I cured this by not driving at slow speeds. Just kidding. I too would be interested in the "slow speed" fix. However, mine only seems to do it sporadically, sometimes fine, other times like the wheels are bolted to the ground.
Old 06-05-2001, 09:18 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Power Steering (not O-Ring)

Quote:
Originally posted by FlagstaffSVX
I keep hearing that the O-Ring fix is a "way to solve all your power steering problems." I've read posts that say it will stop the leaks and puddles of PS fluid on your driveway as well as help your PS pump when your car is at low speeds. It also cures jock itch and laziness. Could someone clear this stuff up and possibly submit it to the FAQ? See, my problem is the underassist when at low speeds but I've never seen a puddle of PS fluid except for the dried stuff that always ends up on top of the resevior tank and I can smell it burning under high acceleration. (which has nothing to do with any of the symptoms that showed up in the first 120 posts at the Wahoo! board) I don't ask for help (as in a direct fix) so much as somebody puts in their $.02 because it's really confusing. (yeah, confusing, that's what I want, someone to lift the great cloud of confusion from my smog ridden head)
Oh, and a few "specifics." I can't remember if I read it in the owner's or the service manual, but, some fluid will be pushed out of the cap on the tank under heavy acceleration. It's normal.

And, the o-ring fix does not cure laziness. Believe me. I've done it, and I'm STILL lazy.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 06-05-2001, 09:32 AM
lightning_8669

STILL lazy

There are some in this world that confuse serious efforts at procrastination as laziness. When someone is constantly changing your priorities how are you ever supposed to schedule them into an effective plan? I usually wait for the dust to settle before taking action.

And, aredub, could you please direct me to the o-ring replacement instructions? While I wait for the priorities to gel I just might spend the hour getting coated with PS fluid.

Thanks
Old 06-05-2001, 09:43 AM

Registered SVX
O-ring Fix

John, here's a link.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/archive/ar...?message=23386
Subaru Ambassador

Old 06-06-2001, 05:15 PM

Lightbulb power sterring o ring

After replacing my totally crushed power steering o-ring I took a larger o-ring which came in the variety pack (multiple sizes) and stretched it to fit inside the reservoir cap. It now closes nice and snug and no more fluid residue on top of the reservoir.
Old 11-06-2002, 12:32 PM
$VX

I'm doing this today. I think I'm having PS problems, not AWD binding issues.

- Ca$h
Old 11-06-2002, 12:38 PM

Registered SVX
Re: power sterring o ring

Quote:
Originally posted by svxstarship
After replacing my totally crushed power steering o-ring I took a larger o-ring which came in the variety pack (multiple sizes) and stretched it to fit inside the reservoir cap. It now closes nice and snug and no more fluid residue on top of the reservoir.
Just a note. "Some" seepage is permissable. According to the manual, you will get some seepage "under heavy acceleration."
Subaru Ambassador

Old 11-06-2002, 09:35 PM
Scott

Angry Enough bad talk

I thought all was good when I bought my car and signed up to the board here. Now I notice the condinsation in the tail lights and cloudy headlights. I have also started getting the lovely steering noise. My lights on my radio come on when they feel like it. After all this you would think that my sun visor would flop.....oh wait IT DOES! If I drive my car this weekend and the tranny leaves a trail of scrap metal down the road it is everyone's here fault.

Stop sending bad vibes to my car.

Just in case you think I'm serious....I don't blame you yet.

I think it's my Tempo of Doom that's causing the problems. It seems jealous.

Scott
Old 11-06-2002, 09:44 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Talking Re: Re: power sterring o ring

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Just a note. "Some" seepage is permissable. According to the manual, you will get some seepage "under heavy acceleration."

Please note that some seepage is also permissable when consuming Olestra processed food products. No acceleration necessary.

PS - Anyone seen Lightening around lately?

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 11-07-2002, 05:33 PM

Osbornes

Who needs to watch the Osbornes when there is entertainment like this available?
SVXROO
Old 11-07-2002, 09:37 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Osbornes

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX ROO
Who needs to watch the Osbornes when there is entertainment like this available?
SVXROO
Put on your hip waders, Maw! It's time to sign onto the Network. Let's see if "Box O' Ron" comes up with another good'n' and that SVXfiler constipulates with one o' his whizzers while Uncle Larry with three eyes calls on couzin vito to heap justice on an unwary world.

True, ROO. So True.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 11-08-2002, 05:23 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Re: Re: Re: power sterring o ring

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
PS - Anyone seen Lightening around lately?

Ron.
If you mean John AKA Lightning_8669, he's still around. He's been working too hard and his car is still having some mild tranny seeping problems.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 11-08-2002, 08:00 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Thumbs up Re: Re: Re: Re: power sterring o ring

Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds

If you mean John AKA Lightning_8669, he's still around. He's been working too hard and his car is still having some mild tranny seeping problems.

Doug
Thanks, Doug. Yes - that's who I mean. Tell him to pop in more often. I miss his zaps.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.