How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2010, 07:41 AM

shifter linkage swap

I have been toying with the idea of using a newer legacy/ outback automatic shifter, I even have one to install.

I don't know if anyone from this site has done it but would love to hear if they have. I KNOW I saw one of the cloud car pics at one point where they showed an interior with the new shifter install but I can't find that pic anywhere and I would have thought I saved it but I am on like my 4th computer now so who knows where it went. The point is I believe it has been done.

The stock SVX shifter cable is a bit different length but I have both cables just haven't verified which one to use yet. The shifter mount can fit in but isn't exactly perfect where the mount goes but some self tapping metal screws would work or nut and bolt after drilling holes. The wood grain cover plate would have to be modified or replaced with a custom one. I am thinking of trying to make one out of fiberglass by cloning the existing one and then modifying it as need for a clean look.

I think this can work I just haven't connected up any of the linkage yet I have to go through the manual to make sure I do it right. As for the shift lock I may relocate to the dash or something with a button elsewhere.

Here is a graphic of what I am thinking

FYI both pics are from the internet, not my cars